Oatmeal ideas please!

Options
linadpetrova
linadpetrova Posts: 8 Member
Hi! Please help me with oatmeal ideas, I know it's good to add them to my meals but I can't because I don't like the taste without something sweet in it.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. Usually just brown sugar, although sometimes I'll throw in some raisins or dried blueberries.
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi! Here's my favorite oatmeal recipe-

1/2 C Oatmeal (uncooked)
    Cook oatmeal and add to
    2 TBSP Almond butter- plain (32g)
    1 TBSP Raw honey (21g)
    1 TBSP chia seeds (12g)

It's so good, warm, nutty, sweet, crunchy. Perfection.

460 calories
    24 g fat
    15 g protein
    56 g carbs

• ibcherry
    ibcherry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal with protein. I use the steel cut oats and throw a tablespoon or two of dried goji berries in the water along with the oats. Then I sweeten it with a little agave, honey, or sometimes just use sugar free pancake syrup or stevia. Once it cools down a little, I'll add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder (the good kind high in protein, low in carbs, fat, and sugar) mixed with a little bit of almond milk.
    You can also add cinnamon, nuts, berries, whatever fruits you like as long as you don't go overboard. I usually make 2-3 servings at a time, which comes out to about two cups and then divi it out into 1/2 cup serving for during the week at around 128 calories each. Toss in an egg an a cup of coffee and you got an awesome breakfast. Keeps me full for hours.
  • ssaarraahhhhjj
    ssaarraahhhhjj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I usually have my oats with cocoa powder, a bit of agave and lots of blueberries . My other option is peanut butter and raspberries which is delicious too, even tastier (but sadly not healthier) if you add a few chocolate chips as well :-)
  • gnheller
    gnheller Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For Breakfast I make a batch of steel cut oats that last all week. In a 2.5 quart saucepan bring 4.5 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Rinse oats thoroughly and add to boiling water. Cook for 25 minutes at a slow boil. Skim off scum as you go. After 25 minutes add 1/2 cup of flaxseed meal. Stir and mix well and let cool. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Each morning I heat 3/4 cup of the mixture in the microwave for 70 seconds. I add 3/4 cup of frozen wild blueberries and a splash of 1% milk. Delish, no sweetener needed.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make a smoothie with it. I do
    30 gram oats
    150 gram yoghurt
    1 cup milk
    10 gram pea proteine
    100 gram fresh fruit.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats!

In a covered bowl or jar:
    1c milk
    1/2c rolled oats
    1/8tspn salt
    1/4tspn stevia

Refrigerate overnight. Eat cold. Easy peasy.

I also put in fruit to soak (fresh or dried berries or apples) and add nuts (sliced almonds or chopped pecans) just before eating.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    gnheller wrote: »
    For Breakfast I make a batch of steel cut oats that last all week. In a 2.5 quart saucepan bring 4.5 cups of water to a boil, add 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Rinse oats thoroughly and add to boiling water. Cook for 25 minutes at a slow boil. Skim off scum as you go. After 25 minutes add 1/2 cup of flaxseed meal. Stir and mix well and let cool. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Each morning I heat 3/4 cup of the mixture in the microwave for 70 seconds. I add 3/4 cup of frozen wild blueberries and a splash of 1% milk. Delish, no sweetener needed.

Same re: the big batch. I switch it up every morning. Monday was butter, brown sugar and raisins. Yesterday I went sort of tropical and added pineapple and coconut chips topped with some of our raw honey (the hubs and I keep bees B) ) and a pinch of cinnamon. This morning was a poached egg and parm. Oatmeal is so versatile!
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I like egg white oatmeal. Just do a quick google search - I don't like mine sweet so I just make it add 2T of peanut powder and some cinnamon. It's delicious and has lots of protein.
  • sonic_corset
    sonic_corset Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I loathe quick cook oats, so i use rolled/old fashioned or steel cut oats(toasted) instead.

For add-ins, i usually do molasses, and dehydrated apples, with some flax meal. if i have dried blueberries, i'll use those instead. i could do frozen i suppose, but they dont seem to hold up as well. Banana or PB2 works as well.

I don't add any extra sugar, the molasses and fruit is more than enough. I also dont add any butter, tho i know some do.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like raisins in it but if you have some flavoured protein powder it can be even better...you add the protein and improve the flavour too without adding extra carbs.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I make oatmeal for my kids, even though I hate it. Their favorite is when I add brown sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, half a banana, and a dash of nutmeg. Sometimes I also add a little almond extract. Their second favorite is when I made oatmeal with apple juice, applesauce, and a little apple butter. I also add cinnamon and vanilla to that, too.
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here's 7 oatmeal options that are not porridge. These are vegan but you could easily add butter, milk or protein powder to any of these.

https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/7-vegan-oatmeal-recipes-more-than-breakfast/
    npf1khgswhfx.jpg
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Flahavan's Steel Cut Oatmeal, with 6-7 dried apricot halves chopped (or 2-3 Tb of raisins or other dried fruit), put in microwave for 3 minutes, stir, then 2 minutes more (putting the fruit in softens it up). Use a big enough bowl so they don't boil over. Add a couple Tb of chopped walnuts or pecans, an eighth tsp of cinnamon, sweeten with stevia or sugar-free maple syrup.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You know, if you dont like oatmeal, you dont have to eat it. its not magic and it wont help you with weight loss unless its part of an eating plan that has you in a calorie deficit.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal + peanut butter flavored protein + PB2 + sugar free maple syrup
  • searchedtobelost
    searchedtobelost Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1/2 C Oatmeal
    1/2 C Frozen berries
    1/4 C Pecans
    1/2 Tsp cinnamon
    Pinch of ground cloves

I cook mine in the microwave for 3 minutes. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.

The longer you let it set (60 minutes is ideal for flavor), the more the flavor of the spices set in. Then it can end up tasting like a berry muffin. Nom. So I'd suggest preparing your oatmeal first thing in the morning, then let it sit while you get ready.

Edit:

A variation on the recipe is to use banana instead of berries. It tastes like banana nut bread.
  • Uhowl43
    Uhowl43 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not sweet, but easy to add to other food: use it for meatballs etc. as a binder instead of breading. Run dry oats through blender to make Oat Flour to use as "bread crumbs" on meat/fish, or as thickening agent in soup/sauce.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Make pancakes with it.... I use Oats, egg whites and protein powder. Whizz it all up in the blender with a bit of water.