Hair Loss!

Options
I've been watching YouTube videos about weight loss and several people seemed to have lost lots of hair in the process of losing weight.

I'm scared of this. I currently have thick hair that reaches my lower back. It's my best feature and I'm attached to it.

Why exactly is there hair loss during weight loss? Is it just people dieting drastically which leads to hair loss? Or would any dieting lead to some hair loss?

What are some ways to prevent hair loss??

I'm talking collagen supplements and I'm thinking about starting to take a multivitamin.

Any information will be welcome!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Drastic low calorie diets can can result in hair loss because going very low cal means you're likely not getting enough protein. Iron deficiency can also be a cause.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm following this...
    I like my hair too.
    I'd have to guess inadequate nutrition/poor diet?
    I'm assuming they just meant regular shedding of hair, & it seemed like more than normal, or did anyone actually say clumps?! Surely not..
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Clumps! Or just about. Running their hands through their hair and having dozens of strands on their hands.

This reminded me of a time when I was about 20 and drastically dieted for a couple months. Ate 1200 calories a day (probably less since I was mistakenly weighing my chicken breasts raw) and I lost lots of hair. The hair loss had been a mystery to me at the time, I didn't connect the dots to my diet until years later. Three times as much hair in the drain as normal. Very scary, I have to tell you.

I've watched several videos of people talking about their hair growing back while on maintenance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Deficits that are too high for any individual can cause this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    But... are we talking any kind of deficit?

How much of a deficit?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    But... are we talking any kind of deficit?

How much of a deficit?
    I'd say a deficit that's more than 2% of your bodyweight is too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    I've done some googling and I can't seem to find anything definitive.

Has anyone come across any studies?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What I personally term an acceptable: deficit 10% to 20% of your TDEE (energy expenditure for the day). Resulting in a loss of no more than about 1% of your bodyweight per week.

If obese, up to 25% of your TDEE. If obese could get up to 1.5% of your bodyweight before you start seeing excess lean mass loss, if I recall correctly

"surprisingly" you will find a lot of "respectable" macro/weight loss web sites also go with this recommendation.

By the time you get to the 2% of bodyweight you are quite probably losing more lean mass than you should.
    By the time you net well under 1200 female/1500 male you are probably losing more lean mass than you should.

There is no definitive study that I've seen that states "this is the optimum rate of loss".

Some studies look at how to minimise lean mass lost.
    Some studies look into how to minimise adaptive thermogenesis.
    Some studies look into how to minimise chances of regaining.

All have different parameters and results and you then get to decide what makes sense to you.

Or you can just go with general government recommendations which are exactly what MFP bases the guided setup settings on.

It still doesn't stop people from choosing non-optimally aggressive goals.

ETA: at 20% you are unlikely to impact so much that you will start losing hair.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A multivitamin/multimineral certainly helped me. I was losing much more hair than normal but that stopped once I started the multivitamin.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Drastic calorie deficit, not enough nutrients (especially fat), a diet that isn't varied enough to provide enough micronutrients, and most of all, a diet that is very hard or restrictive it causes you a lot of stress. I have noticed significant hair loss after trying diets that were not for me, and that trend stopped and the lost hair grew back when I settled on something that is easy and pleasant. I haven't had any significant hair loss since despite losing a lot of weight.

basically, pick a reasonable deficit (not one that puts you at 1200 calories and take care not to ignore exercise calories), eat enough fat and variety, and don't stubbornly cling to a dieting approach that is hard for you and you should be fine.

ETA:
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What I personally term an acceptable: deficit 10% to 20% of your TDEE (energy expenditure for the day). Resulting in a loss of no more than about 1% of your bodyweight per week.

Where do you think the 1% recommendation comes from? It's often way too high of a deficit for most people and is certainly over the recommended 10-25%. This would mean 2 pounds a week at 200 pounds, when the average 200 pound woman has a sedentary maintenance of about 2000 calories, resulting in a 1000 calories budget or a 50% deficit. You would need to have a TDEE of 4000 to achieve 2 pounds a week at 25% deficit, and most 200 pound women (most people, really) aren't active enough to double their TDEE.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Repeated.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've got this problem. When I started trying to lose weight last year my hair was very thick, in fact, people would always comment on how thick it was. Now, I have such thin hair - for me - and shed loads every day, or every few days. I've stuck to between 1000-1300 calories a day, some days I go a little under this, but not often. I've been losing weight at a very slow pace (now about 0.5/1 lb a month), so it's not that I'm under-eating. Maybe it's what I eat that's causing it, I don't know. Will try multi-vitamins, but I'm doubtful they'll help.
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of hair but that's because I was eating a lot of fish. Too much healthy oils caused my hair to go greasy and fall out.

Just stick to everything in moderation!!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Clumps! Or just about. Running their hands through their hair and having dozens of strands on their hands.

This reminded me of a time when I was about 20 and drastically dieted for a couple months. Ate 1200 calories a day (probably less since I was mistakenly weighing my chicken breasts raw) and I lost lots of hair. The hair loss had been a mystery to me at the time, I didn't connect the dots to my diet until years later. Three times as much hair in the drain as normal. Very scary, I have to tell you.

I've watched several videos of people talking about their hair growing back while on maintenance.

It's not a mistake to weigh chicken raw as long as you use an appropriate raw entry from the database. It's generally considered far more accurate than weighing cooked
  • hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    I've got this problem. When I started trying to lose weight last year my hair was very thick, in fact, people would always comment on how thick it was. Now, I have such thin hair - for me - and shed loads every day, or every few days. I've stuck to between 1000-1300 calories a day, some days I go a little under this, but not often. I've been losing weight at a very slow pace (now about 0.5/1 lb a month), so it's not that I'm under-eating. Maybe it's what I eat that's causing it, I don't know. Will try multi-vitamins, but I'm doubtful they'll help.

Some protein treatments might help....

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Where do you think the 1% recommendation comes from? It's often way too high of a deficit for most people and is certainly over the recommended 10-25%. This would mean 2 pounds a week at 200 pounds, when the average 200 pound woman has a sedentary maintenance of about 2000 calories, resulting in a 1000 calories budget or a 50% deficit. You would need to have a TDEE of 4000 to achieve 2 pounds a week at 25% deficit, and most 200 pound women (most people, really) aren't active enough to double their TDEE.

I've always viewed the 1% as a second double check. Certainly when i was starting out at ~270lbs I was often hitting a TDEE of 4K with activity. You're correct that 25% should not result in more than 1%

I see the 1% limit discussed in this paper: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-20
    I recall another one that compared losses between 1.4% and 0.7% again amongst athletes.

But you see @ninerbuff above discussing 2% for obese and I am sure he would have seen sources that support that.

There is little question in my mind that when you have an abundance of available fat higher deficits are better tolerated. i.e. that faster losses are possible.

What is NOT as clear to me is that they are DESIRABLE for individuals losing weight on their own, i.e. people who are not in an in-patient, or otherwise fully supervised and supported set-up.

I feel that there is a lot of exploring and new/different habit forming that has to happen with those of us who have reached the morbidly obese range in order for us to have any hope of retaining our losses long term. And that it would be highly desirable for us to get to maintenance with the least amount of negative adaptation.

So an appreciable chunk of our weight loss time MUST be spent on setting us up for success in maintenance.

And, IMHO, very seldom would a super fast loss be conducive to achieving this.

And of course people who are NOT obese just don't have the fat reserves to go at such a fast pace without all sorts of problems.

All this also ignores basic compliance which becomes harder at larger deficits. Passing out, biting peoples' heads off, or rebound binges are not conducive to success! Not to mention the health concerns already discussed!

ETA and people doing 50% TDEE reductions when at a normal weight (which does happen on MFP especially amongst the 1200Cal a day with 2 hours cardio and no exercise eat back crowd) are repeating the Minnesota Starvation experiment which essentially drove healthy individuals into developing eating and psychological disorders.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Drastic calorie deficit, not enough nutrients (especially fat), a diet that isn't varied enough to provide enough micronutrients, and most of all, a diet that is very hard or restrictive it causes you a lot of stress. I have noticed significant hair loss after trying diets that were not for me, and that trend stopped and the lost hair grew back when I settled on something that is easy and pleasant. I haven't had any significant hair loss since despite losing a lot of weight.

basically, pick a reasonable deficit (not one that puts you at 1200 calories and take care not to ignore exercise calories), eat enough fat and variety, and don't stubbornly cling to a dieting approach that is hard for you and you should be fine.

ETA:
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I agree, if I aim for 1% bodyweight per week, it would mean about a 900cal deficit, which would be below 1200 net. It's not practical. On the other hand, 25% of TDEE is about 550cal, which is reasonable. The two recommendations don't overlap in a meaningful way, for me anyway.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if youre not getting the nutrition you need, you will lose hair.

my hair is long,thick, halfway down my back and *kitten* gorgeous. ive lost 80 pounds.

i shed like crazy but always have - its normal and not hair LOSS ....
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    A multivitamin/multimineral certainly helped me. I was losing much more hair than normal but that stopped once I started the multivitamin.
    Can I ask your specifics?

How much were you taking in? Were you paying attention to your nutrients?

Once you stopped losing hair, was it all just the multivitamin? Or did you adjust your eating intake at all?

Also, can I ask your starting weight and then roughly what your weight was when you started taking the multi? And how fast that loss was?

Hahaha, I'm sorry for all the questions! Ignore me if this is too intrusive.
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

It's not a mistake to weigh chicken raw as long as you use an appropriate raw entry from the database. It's generally considered far more accurate than weighing cooked
    I have no idea what I was doing back then. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the raw weight I was using.

However, I've been wondering about weighing meat. It seems so inaccurate!

I tend to eat a lot of chicken thighs now. Bone in, skin on. You're saying raw might be more accurate?
    if youre not getting the nutrition you need, you will lose hair.

my hair is long,thick, halfway down my back and *kitten* gorgeous. ive lost 80 pounds.

i shed like crazy but always have - its normal and not hair LOSS ....

How fast are you losing?