Turmeric

Options
2»

Replies

• suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The anti-cancerbooks I read advised always using with black pepper - increases the efficacy of the turmeric, and also dissolve in fat - tho I cant recall the reason for this advice.

As a person recovering from Stage 4 bowel cancer I took on board a lot of the anti-cancer "alternative" strategies and I think they have helped me, but I couldn't ever "prove" it - nor say which was effective out of such a long list.

Anyrate, I cook with it every day, but dont really think capsules are much use.
  • SusanHill6
    SusanHill6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use tumeric powder regularly in my diet. I have AS, an inflammatory arthritis. I don't notice if it helps until I run out of it. Then it is very noticeable. I use between a teaspoon to a Tablespoon on my meats and potatoes. It adds a nice flavor and color. Haven't used the teas or pill form though. I get it at a Mennonite Store that sells mostly organic foods.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have both used it (cucumin, the active extract from turmeric) and felt it beneficial. There are specific formulations needed for it to effective. One is mixed with black pepper or one of several other preparations.
    https://examine.com/supplements/curcumin/
    Curcumin is poorly absorbed inherently, and one of the following is mandatory:
    Pairing curcumin with black pepper (piperine)
    Curcumin phytosomes complexed with phosphatidylcholine (Meriva or BCM-95)
    Curcumin nanoparticles (THERACURMIN)
    Water-soluble curcumin (polyvinyl pyrrolidone)
    If one of the above enhancements are not used, then too little curcumin will be absorbed and even doses of up to 4,000mg may be wholly inactive (8-16g would only be slightly active)..

It is unlikely that you can get enough of the turmeric spice to reap the benefits.