New runner advice

Options
New runner here, halfway through the C25K program.

When I started, I had a gait analysis done and got fitted out with some proper road trainers along with corrective insoles, these have been fine.
Thing is, at least half my runs I do at work, and I like doing them in some woodland just up the road (no traffic, scenic, quiet etc)
But, as the trails are muddy and slippery, I do this run in a pair of standard trail running shoes I bought a while ago that weren't fitted and have no corrective insole.
I did assume that as the ground is slippery and uneven, it would be good training and gait wouldn't come into it.
As I start stepping up the distance, should I avoid the woods in my old shoes and stick to roads in the new ones, or can I keep on running half the runs in the woods in the old shoes? On the plus side, it feels as if a lot more muscles get worked out as I slither around, and I enjoy it, but I do wonder if I should be sticking to the roads with the corrective shoes?

I don't want to use the new shoes in the woods because 1) they'll get smothered in mud and 2) although my old trainers are a budget pair, they are a trail running shoe with an aggressive tread and are good at keeping me pointing in the general direction of upright!

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    You're right to assume that gait is less of an issue with trail running. The gait is an issue with the thousands of identical steps in road running but the uneven steps required for trails means that there is less worry of a repetitive strain type injury.

But, grip is v. important when trail running and running without it will probably lead to injury at some point.

So, in short, I think you're best sticking to what you currently do - road run in your new shoes and trail run in your older, more aggressive tread shoes.
  • samfillis
    samfillis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would stay the same as long as old trainers are comfortable for you. I much prefer trail running, different every time & much nicer scenery! That said, it's always good to get out on the road & do a faster pace! Well done & keep on running!!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thanks both, makes perfect sense.

Very impressed with the traction offered by the trail runners today, very very slippery mud, wet leaves and clay and they just kept on going. Funnily enough, they seem to grip a lot better when running than walking!
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Something one of my friends found out when doing off-road running is to work some core strength exercises into your routine: she turned her ankle on one run and ended up pulling muscles in her back!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Since you enjoy trail running, I would buy a new pair of trail runners, so you have the grip you need, but more support as well. I have several pairs of running shoes that I use under different conditions. (i.e. I like to have more cushioning for long runs, trail runners for day hikes, etc.) I find when my shoes get old, I start getting hurt - my knees especially. It's not worth it.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thanks both, hopefully my core strength is OK, I do compound lifts at the gym 3 times/week. I'm sure it could be better, but it's something :)

SpiritEagle, I will do that in a Month of two. Although my trail shoes are old in that I bought them a couple of Years ago, I only actually wore them once or twice in that time (bought with the best intentions etc!!) so they are actually as new and do offer decent support.
    The fitted road shoes were quite a large investment, so I'll wait for the sting from that to die down first and make sure that I'm going to stick with running, then I definitely will get some fitted trail shoes as I prefer running off-road (at the moment)