I need to run!

Options
My body loves running, I see my best results when I run, but since my last half marathon, I took some time off and now I don't WANT to run! The eating isn't really my issue, I'm good at making myself healthy foods and know how to move calories around when I go out to eat, but my chief weapon is running. I just can't get motivated to go out out and do it.

Does anyone have any tips to get me moving and out there? I know it's better for my body, I know I'll look better, I know I'll feel better, but something just wants to sleep that extra hour!

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I follow a TON of running pages on Facebook and my newsfeed is constantly filled with motivational pics and quotes. I usually check Facebook before I get out of bed so it's enough to get me motivated to get out the door.
  • PepePants
    PepePants Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience after running my last 1/2... I think I over-trained and I definitely needed a break. Well, I took a break and still found myself unmotivated. I tried doing some different exercise like power lifting and zumba classes at the gym. When I finally got back into running, the other classes made it much easier. I wasn't up to my previous endurance levels but I wasn't a total newbie either. I have two dogs and they are always excited to run. I tried to let their enthusiasm rub off on me... Good luck!
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Every day I wake up and feel like I won't be able to run today. I don't run in the morning because I never have energy then. By lunch though, I am motivated and regret if I don't run. Maybe you need to find a higher energy time that works for you.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ignore how you feel. Lace up and run, just a bit. Get out for a few miles. You might hate it. So what. You won't hate it when you're done.

Or don't. It's pretty much that simple.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I like to run with a good play list and very early in the AM when it's still kind of dark. I also look forward to my breakfast when I get home.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You sound *just* like me. I did my first half on May 5. Two days after that I went for a run. Then...nothing. I finally got back to it this past Saturday and it felt good.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Its about just doing it because you want to. So HEYGORUN!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you dont WANT to run, dont... do something else! swimming, insanity, lifting, zumba, whatever!
  • emmacriswell
    Options
    You sound *just* like me. I did my first half on May 5. Two days after that I went for a run. Then...nothing. I finally got back to it this past Saturday and it felt good.

That's great to hear! How are you doing now?
  • emmacriswell
    Options
    if you dont WANT to run, dont... do something else! swimming, insanity, lifting, zumba, whatever!

The trouble is, my body only really responds to high physical activity like running. Slower exercises don't work as well.
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, then run faster.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar after my last half marathon too. I picked another race (10k) at the end of August to train for. It worked for me! Good luck!
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

The trouble is, my body only really responds to high physical activity like running. Slower exercises don't work as well.

If you're lifting, and it's not high physical activity, then you're doing it wrong.

Not sure if you're looking to completely change gears or not, but tons of people, and tons of women on here switched to lifting heavy and absolutely love the results. Check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts 5x5

These do require access to a gym with a power rack, not sure what your situation there is, but it's worth the results.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race. Having a goal race in sight helps to keep me motivated and focused.

Nothing like a deadline to keep you honest.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    All runners are sometimes in what I call the "running groove" where things are going well but we fall out of "the groove", too. I blog about things like this on my running blog-www.RunningGrooveShark.com. Lots of running inspiration on Facebook, Twitter, & Google +. Try getting out there with shorter runs, then try lengthening them while you are out there. Or try hard/easy rotation with runs (rotate in long runs with hill workouts, fartlek, tempo runs). If you vary your runs, you will have a lot more fun:) Try running with a local running group (or a virtual running group) or a friend or friends near you. Sometimes that helps, too.There's no better exercise imho.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

That's great to hear! How are you doing now?

Not as well as I would like to report because as it turns out, that run on Saturday was the only one I've done since then! Happily, that'll change tonight though, because I WILL BE out for another run!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Maybe change it up and do some short interval / tempo runs.....There are all kinds of different apps that keep it fun. What about the zombie run app? I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it's a riot!

Also, like someone else mentioned....I'm a lunch hour or late afternoon runner. No chance I could ever get out of bed early to fit in a run!! lol

I had a crap run the other day and it was very disappointing and a bit of a downer, but when I was out today it felt incredible!! Nothing can top the feeling of an awesome strong run! I try to remember that when I'm not really motivated to get out there....

Congrats on your half!
  • sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

If you're lifting, and it's not high physical activity, then you're doing it wrong.

Not sure if you're looking to completely change gears or not, but tons of people, and tons of women on here switched to lifting heavy and absolutely love the results. Check out Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts 5x5

These do require access to a gym with a power rack, not sure what your situation there is, but it's worth the results.

The "slower" exercises comment made me laugh.

I completely agree with the two others above. It would probably do your body good to build some real muscle! I attend a bootcamp every day (similar to insanity style) and it's anything but "slow". I've actually seen improvement in my running abilities because of it and I only run once a week. Try the videos mentioned, or finding a bootcamp of sorts, or a cross fit gym.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Even when I don't want to run, I think about all the people who can't, but would love to. I started running when I joined Team in Training, while raising money for blood cancer research and those with blood cancers. I get lazy too - we all do, we are human after all. I find that no matter if I want to run or not, after I run, I am ALWAYS glad I did. Training for my third 1/2 marathon now. Have done a 1/2 and two full marathons with Team in Training. I'm not fast, but at least I'm doing it when there are those out there who can't because of cancer.
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One way that I motivate myself to go running is to download some new songs onto my running playlist and the rule is, I CANT listen to them unless I'm running!