Can't Stop eating in the middle of the night.

Options
2»

Replies

• BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So bad for your teeth :#
  • fbrogan
    fbrogan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a former "sleep eater", I can say that you just needs to find what works for you-- there are a lot of great ideas in this thread. For me, it was actually mood related, and had nothing to do with the actual foods. If you normally always crave sweets, it can reflect a decrease in serotonin levels. I was really great at cutting out sweet/carbs during the day, but as soon as I was asleep, I went and ate them anyways. Best advice I can give is try a small protein/fat snack before bed, but if you are still looking for the sweet, there might be something else that needs to be addressed first.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I go to bed really, really late most nights so nighttime snacking has always been a problem for me. I make sure to always give myself a 100-150 kcal allowance (at least) for that. Fresh/frozen Greek Yogurt and/or fresh/frozen fruit, Jello (10 kcal/cup), peppermint balls (20 kcal/ball), or dark chocolate squares usually does the trick (since sugar is usually what I crave), though sometimes I'll eat boiled eggs, a cheese or PB&J sandwich (light multigrain bread ftw!), or protein/energy bars (Quest Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Bar or Clif Chocolate Chip/Mint-Chip Energy Bar).

I don't snack at night nearly as often as I used to, but when I get the urge to the aforementioned food choices usually does the trick, and since I usually have at least 100 kcal leftover I don't feel guilty about it, either.

I'm not sure how to curb the urge, unfortunately, though I've noticed that eating too much protein for dinner makes the nighttime cravings worse.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    As long as its within your calories have something 20 minutes before bed. Give it at least 20 to digest (otherwise I might get heartburn, your results may vary). Make sure its emotionally satisfying, as a late night TV watcher I prefer to have a big bowl of air popped corn while watching TV, with some real butter, as long as calories can afford it! If its something sweet you crave, try switching sugar out with stevia to avoid blood sugar spikes, that "sugar rush" can also keep you awake. I'm also a big fan of string cheese.

What are you doing in the four hours or so before bed? Tea, coffee, cola, sugary drinks, alcohol can cause you to pop awake when you don't want to. Alcohol especially. Are you sure its not your bladder waking you up, and when you're up you think of food?

Try taking magnesium before bed, its a great relaxer for me. Are you mentally prepared to sleep? Do you hit the electronic gadgets before bed? They say that can be a factor keeping some from a solid nights sleep.

Sometimes the worry about my diet and food itself can keep me awake, darn brain.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I read through this thread and don't think anyone asked you...are you aware you're doing it at the time or are you kind of sleep walking and either don't remember eating at all or VERY vaguely remember eating and then find the "evidence" such as dirty dishes, wrappers the next morning?
    There's a reason I ask.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    What time is your
    mcs_runner wrote: »
    As long as I can I remember I have always woke up in the middle of the night craving a snack. Most of the time it will be a low crab tortilla with a table spoon of honey and almond butter (sometimes x 2). There has been times where I have had a quaker chocolate peanut butter granola bar and almond milk, which is a lot better than what I use to have.
    I just want to stop eating at night period and I don't know what to do about curbing that midnight craving for something sweet.
    Any ideas on what to do?

What time is your "middle of the night"? I actually go to bed a bit late, but if I get up again its definitely not for a snack. Do you eat your daytime meals at a regular designated time, or is it just random snacking when you feel the urge. It might just be a matter of training your mind to eat at more "normal" times, and avoid snacking.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    In the middle of the night, I eat Lenny & Larry cookies. Crumbs in the bed and all. Then I'm stuffed. And sleepy.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Is the issue that you're waking up and eating, waking up, or eating? :smiley: I've had plenty of "it's 3am, I think I'm hungry" times, and sometimes I can just roll over and go back to sleep. Sometimes I've caved and had the snack. I'd more than likely guess that you're possibly dehydrated and your body reads it as hunger, and your brain goes "LET'S HAVE MARSHMALLOWS" (not that that happened to me last night...). Get up, have a glass of water, tell your brain to shut up and try and go back to sleep. It may not always work, but the more you can ignore it, or get around it, hopefully the less you'll wake up with a craving.
  • Lxftcoastenvy
    Lxftcoastenvy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in my macros /calories I drink my protein shake before bed..A powder mixed with water not the premade. No sugar but still cures a craving for sweets since it's flavored and I feel really full. I use peanut butter chocolate so similar to your granola bar cravings..Plus since it's not super amazing tasting after downing that I don't even want more food..Meaning when I eat something good like an actual snack I often crave more things even if I'm full.
    It'll probably take a awhile to kick the habit, maybe drink a full class of water with lemon to fill up before going for snacks.. Even though yours seem healthy enough.