Workouts during high tempature

Options
I was wondering, when working out in high heat (i.e., > 90 F) are more calories burned? I sweat more and I feel like it is a harder workout but don't know if it burns more calories.

Replies

• Glorilee
    Glorilee Posts: 5
    Options
    I found this online -

"Although exercising in hot weather can be uncomfortable for some, it does appear to increase calorie burn. When it’s hot outside, your heart has to pump harder to cool off the hard working muscles along with the rest of the body. It does this by pumping more blood to the extremities so that the heat can be released in the form of sweat. If you stop to check your heart rate when exercising in hot weather, you’ll usually find that it’s higher than when you do the same routine under cooler conditions. Since exercising in the heat also places additional stress on the heart, it provides more cardiovascular and fat burning benefits. Some well trained athletes take advantage of this fact by putting on a sweatshirt or other heavy clothing at the gym to make their workout harder and burn more calories and fat."

Read more: http://healthmad.com/fitness/do-you-burn-more-calories-working-out-in-hot-weather/#ixzz0srGwLUc9
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    In addition to that, if it is true, I'd recommend also upping your water intake! No heat exhaustion allowed!:smile:
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I found out today....It was 92-93 and I went to do my normal walk/jog....wearing my HRM, I noticed my heart rate walking fast was about what it is when I am jogging, and when I was jogging, it was almost alarming....but I took ice water with me and stayed well hydrated....but sweat...I sure did...:bigsmile:
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I burn about 150 more calories during a particular walk according to my HRM when I walk it in temps above 70 degrees. In the winter, I've noticed the same thing in riding my bike (on a trainer) with the woodstove going. Kinda like hot yoga, but hot biking. Lol. Anyway, this has always been interesting to me....and yes, it means I drink an extra water bottle!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I found this online -

"Although exercising in hot weather can be uncomfortable for some, it does appear to increase calorie burn. When it’s hot outside, your heart has to pump harder to cool off the hard working muscles along with the rest of the body. It does this by pumping more blood to the extremities so that the heat can be released in the form of sweat. If you stop to check your heart rate when exercising in hot weather, you’ll usually find that it’s higher than when you do the same routine under cooler conditions. Since exercising in the heat also places additional stress on the heart, it provides more cardiovascular and fat burning benefits. Some well trained athletes take advantage of this fact by putting on a sweatshirt or other heavy clothing at the gym to make their workout harder and burn more calories and fat."

Read more: http://healthmad.com/fitness/do-you-burn-more-calories-working-out-in-hot-weather/#ixzz0srGwLUc9

This "article" is prime evidence of why so much of what is posted on the internet is complete bullsh-t. I have seen this "article" before, published under different names and the "information" in it is absolutely 100% dangerous nonsense.

Working out in the heat does NOT burn more calories. Any increase in HR that occurs while working out in the heat is due to dehydration, not an increase in oxygen uptake. So, while your heart muscle may be working harder, the rest of your body isn't. Under these conditions, prolonged working out in the heat while result in your HRM calorie count to be significantly overstated and wrong.

I can't say it any plainer than that.