Best foods to speed up metabolism?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A diet higher in protein will have a higher TEF...same for complex carbohydrates that contain a lot of fiber, etc which is probably where the oats, apples, etc comes from. Caffeine has some benefit to increased metabolic rate, but really all of this stuff is drowning in a sea of minutia and none of it has a considerable effect on metabolism.

The best way to increase metabolism is to move more...the more you move, the more energy you expend. Maintaining muscle mass will also help protect your resting metabolism.

ETA: fruits like apples and pears among others are also high in pectin which has shown to curb appetite...so in that sense they could aid in weight loss, but I don't think they do anything significant to bump actual resting metabolism.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you are sedentary there is nothing you can eat that will speed up your digestion. It's going to be slow no matter what. The way to speed up your body's need for calories is to exercise. The more you do, the more calories your body will need. Drinking more water will also aid digestion. Ever see a skinny person eat like a horse and not gain a pound? It's likely they have a very active lifestyle and burn those calories away naturally. Working in an office all day, and then going home to a recliner in front of the TV with a remote in one hand and a diet soda in the other won't help. You'll simply have to eat less to lose weight in that situation.

Drink water. Exercise more. Eat at a deficit to lose weight. The rest will fall into place naturally.

Digestion and metabolism are not the same thing
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Digestion and metabolism are not the same thing

I stand corrected. ;)

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @LiveLoveFitFab yes green tea by itself is less calories then coffee with milk that is true.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I think one of the things you need to remember is that breakfast is a must. Calorie intake is something you also need to heed. If your body is getting too little it will start to slow your resting metabolic rate. This means ultimately you body is trying to store its ability to make energy. Make sure you "break the fast" daily and get at least 1400 calories (for a male) in order to keep your body from slowing your RMR.
    Timing of calorie intake has no effect on metabolism.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tuff crowd :o

Would you rather be lied to? There are no foods/drinks that speed up metabolism. The best method I can think of is exercising. As much as I want there to be a food I can scarf down rather than exercise, there isn't. If there were, I would have found it and spread the word like Billy Graham.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    what... no ACV or (my favorite) cabbage soup?

Sorry, OP. Just having fun at this point. Some foods just have inexplicably good marketing for benefits without scientific evidence.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Green tea. It has zero calories, which is less than a coffee with milk. Increases your energy without making you jittery and there is research to prove it does increase metabolism a little bit.
    Some scholarly articles for ya'll.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1040.long/-

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/9/1677.short

Love me some green tea!

You have to drink an unholy amount of green tea to have any affect on metabolism...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think one of the things you need to remember is that breakfast is a must. Calorie intake is something you also need to heed. If your body is getting too little it will start to slow your resting metabolic rate. This means ultimately you body is trying to store its ability to make energy. Make sure you "break the fast" daily and get at least 1400 calories (for a male) in order to keep your body from slowing your RMR.

why is breakfast a must? Starvation mode is a myth. Do you really think that if you undereate that you would get fat? If yes, how do people die of starvation?
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Green tea. It has zero calories, which is less than a coffee with milk. Increases your energy without making you jittery and there is research to prove it does increase metabolism a little bit.

Love me some green tea!

You have to drink an unholy amount of green tea to have any affect on metabolism...

I drink about ten cups a day, each cup made with double tea bags. Super strong. It is an unholy amount, I know. I even drink the caffeine free stuff and pass it off as flavored water for hydration. Basically except for one cup of coffee in the morning, I drink green tea all day. I hate the taste of water, but tea is the bomb for me. I think it burns maybe fifty calories a day extra, maybe one hundred at the level I drink it at. Still, it does burn calories because there is a slight raise in your metabolic rate. Also helps you with blood sugar (read the above studies) which will help you with losing weight.

BTW, I have been drinking this amount of green tea since I developed some insulin resistance due to PCOS and didn't like the side effects of the metformin.

I prefer it to metformin, and I don't need to take the metformin if I drink it. So there is that.

There is no miracle cure. But some things will raise your metabolism, just a little bit, in my case the amount I drink it is between 1-3%. Not alot, but something.

So, while there is nothing that will burn your calories by just eating it, there are studies that prove green tea will raise your metabolism.

Please read the studies before arguing further. And I also drink caffeine free, because caffeine free tea is just fancy water. Especially since I live in Canada....brrr!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Love me some green tea!

Not enough caffeine. Green tea has very little. Coffee is my drug of choice. I'm making no metabolism claims, but it does lift my mood. B)

It's not the caffeine only. There are polyphenols and Epigallocatechin gallate which cause the metabolic rise. It's also chock full of antioxidants. If you are an excessive tea drinker you can burn an extra 50-100 calories a day. It's not a lot but it's something. And he asked what to consume that would burn calories...

Please read the actual articles which are studies with proper citation before you argue with me...please. :smile:
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Clenbuteral
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oh.. my research showed me things like Apple's pears oatmeal would help...

Google and similar search engines provides lots of inaccurate research.

Food does not speed up metabolism.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Tuff crowd :o

You betcha! We're not gonna lead you astray.
  • JCcatalyst
    JCcatalyst Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like red gensing and turmeric cinnamon and a dash of cayenne pepper in my coffee also almond vanilla creamer to taste and one table spoon coconut oil yummy and I do feel energized. I buy powder form in bulk on amazon
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Pretty much a consolidation and analysis on all things green tea: https://examine.com/supplements/Green+Tea+Catechins/

As noted: "No significant influences on metabolic rate overall"