Superbowl

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

We go to town on wings a few occasions out of the year, and Superbowl is one of them...I bake them in the oven...I'll probably make a couple dozen to split between the two of us and probably a side salad.

Do you have a recipe, wolfman? My DH always says that the baked ones aren't crispy enough. For me, they're plenty crispy, considering how many more I can eat than fried...

I do this...

http://ifoodblogger.com/baked-chicken-wings-extra-crispy/

I think the baking powder is key. I think the convection helps too to remove moisture but mine only goes up to 400* on convection so they take longer than 30-40 minutes...more like an hour
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My wife and I gave up hosting or going to super bowl gatherings about 4 years ago due to the fact that she and I tended to be the only one's interested in the actual game and everyone else was just there to party and it ruined the watching for us.

This is hilarious. We had the exact same revelation a few years ago. I have friends that throw a huge party, close to 100 adults and children - they get bounce houses for the kids and the adults mingle, eat, gossip, and pretty much do anything OTHER than watch the football game, a few dedicated guys are around the tv but most people see it as a social event only. My husband gets annoyed that he doesn't want to go to a party and have the same conversation with the same people once a year. I get annoyed that the women in particular seem to assume that no other women want to watch the game and they keep trying to pull me away from the TVs to either hang out with the kids or watch the kids or talk about the kids...

So we started just hanging out at home, watching every play of the game, pausing and rewinding as we wish, and really enjoying the football part of it. The only things I miss are the fun of side bets and playing games like squares - and the variety of food at a party. For just two adults and two kids I'm not going to make 20 different things. So we pick 1-2 favorites each that we like to eat and that's our menu.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Our menu is usually:
    Wings
    Dip of some sort (queso probably)
    Mini Pizzas on Cocktail Ryes
    Soft Pretzel Bites
    Toasted Ravioli
    Potato Skins
    Cookies or Brownies
    Beer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My wife and I gave up hosting or going to super bowl gatherings about 4 years ago due to the fact that she and I tended to be the only one's interested in the actual game and everyone else was just there to party and it ruined the watching for us.

This is hilarious. We had the exact same revelation a few years ago. I have friends that throw a huge party, close to 100 adults and children - they get bounce houses for the kids and the adults mingle, eat, gossip, and pretty much do anything OTHER than watch the football game, a few dedicated guys are around the tv but most people see it as a social event only. My husband gets annoyed that he doesn't want to go to a party and have the same conversation with the same people once a year. I get annoyed that the women in particular seem to assume that no other women want to watch the game and they keep trying to pull me away from the TVs to either hang out with the kids or watch the kids or talk about the kids...

So we started just hanging out at home, watching every play of the game, pausing and rewinding as we wish, and really enjoying the football part of it. The only things I miss are the fun of side bets and playing games like squares - and the variety of food at a party. For just two adults and two kids I'm not going to make 20 different things. So we pick 1-2 favorites each that we like to eat and that's our menu.

My wife and I are both pretty into football...so is my 6 y.o...he'd probably be the only one not playing in a bouncy castle while the game is going on. I took him to the Packers v Falcons NFC championship game (he's a Packers nut thanks to his cousin) and despite the loss, he had the best time ever...should have seen his face when we got into the stadium, it's something I'll never forget.

We got there really early and went down to the rails at the 50 yard line and were trying to get some autographs while everyone was warming up, but no takers...
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Super Bowl homebody here. I love the NFL - but it's hard to get into a game that starts late on a Sunday, lasts for hours, and my team is never playing in.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i'm probably going to drink my weight in miller lite, bring a baked clam dip full of delicious fattening stuff, eat a veggie burger off the grill and ignore most people's food. unless there are cubes of cheese, in which case i'll try to count how many i eat but i'll forget at about the same time i lose track of the beers. i'm rooting for the falcons and for gaga. mostly gaga.

giphy.gif
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My mom and I make nachos with stadium cheese...the liquid kind. It's grossly awesome. I still need to go out and get a thing of it.

And we're rooting for the not Patriots team :D (we probably would if another AFC team were in too...one of our team's old players now plays for Atlanta and we want to root for him)
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So... Super bowl is coming up this Sunday. I am sure many don't care.. I really don't care too much but do enjoy the gathering of friends. Being in New England I am a Pats fan so that helps lol! Anyway, it's always the same at these parties... Wings, chips and dip, cheese and crackers, little (frozen) meatball and usually trays of stuffed shells and/or lasagna and there's usually a salad and a fruit bowl because my friends "Know how I like to eat" haha! I am a vegetarian and a clean eater and I follow a CRON nutrition plan, but I don't make it a big deal. I usually just bring a bunch of my own clean, healthy and macro-friendly foods, enough to share. Oddly enough it's the stuff that I bring along that gets eaten the quickest! This year I am bringing a large salad with every vegetable known to man and a bunch of steamed lemon-grass chicken and some avocados and I am making those cauliflower buffalo bites and thinking of making some sweet potato skins with home-made guacamole. Psssstttt.. I am good a substituting with many vegan products and no one knows the diff! :smile: I am also going to make a batch of black bean brownie bites so that I can have sweets that don't come from a Walmart Bakery!

Anyone else have anything they're making for Super Bowl Sunday?

I want to be your friend and I want you to cook for me always...!

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Baked wings
    Potato skins
    Guacamole w/chips
    Deviled eggs w/bacon
    dessert

Go Falcons!

And I already started banking calories so I can really enjoy.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    - Burrito bowls (ground turkey, low-fat cheese, black beans, brown rice, onion, pepper, corn, spinach)
    - Cheesy Cauliflower bread sticks
    - Baked potato chips

My brother's making wings, chili, chips, and various dips (guacamole, spinach, cheese, salsa, etc). He's also baking a an upside-down pineapple cake. My sis is bringing brownies, and her boyfriend is bringing mac-n-cheese and meatloaf. Mom is covering the alcohol, and everyone else is bringing snack stuff and drinks.

I'll be banking calories just in case, lmao.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Love Super Bowl Sunday. Hubby and I are both English, so to us 'football' is played with a round ball. But as my user-name suggests, we live in Pats country so we will be cheering for them.

Beer-wise it will be anything but Budwieser. And the food will be a large selection of chips and dips, chicken wings, potato skins, and a huge pot of spicy home-made chilli.