Starving

Options
2»

Replies

• andreaP67
    andreaP67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All the replies are right on! eat when you are hungry but make it count by eating food that will help you feel full, like protein and healthy fat. My favorite - 2or3 hard-boiled eggs and half an avocado (I eat one whole egg and only the whites for the other two). Make an egg white omelet with vegetables. Protein pancakes -mix one scoop protein powder with two egg whites and spray pan w/ coconut oil -can also be eaten as snacks. You can eat your lunch for breakfast! salmon or chicken breast/tenders and tons of veggies. Keep the portions on the small side but eat more frequent so that you are not starving in-between meals. Lots and lots of water and keep busy so you are not looking for food. Good luck!
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Without an open diary it is more difficult to see if there is an easy fix. First, are you eating at the level that MFP gives you for your weight/height. The answer should be yes. You should also be weighing/measuring everything that goes in your mouth. If you are breast feeding - add another 500 calories per day. Second, experiment with foods for breakfast - try proteins and fats instead of carbs. Oatmeal doesn't fill me up or keep me full. A couple of fried eggs on a piece of bread with a bit of mayo - I don't even realize it's time for lunch. Remember that protein and fats help with satiety. Third, eat when you are hungry - regardless of time. If you are truly hungry and not just bored/thinking about food - eat. It doesn't take much food to get you through to the next meal or snack (try adding a bit of peanut butter to your apple - it's my favorite snack/light meal).

Good luck!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Help!-
    Need some tips, I really want to stay under my calorie intake.

Just to clarify - you are eating under the calorie allowance given by MFP to lose weight? If so, how many calories are you eating per day? How many calories did MFP give you?

Im allowed 1800 a day and I either eat like 50 less or eight on the dot.

I eat around the same due to eating exercise calories back. I eat mainly morning and evening as work load is nuts during 8am-6pm

Feel free to read my diary, I'm never hungry but I do eat what ever I like.

Ignore today though, I'm seeing dry January out in style :DB)o:)>:)
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm going to offer something different: you just started, and this is the first day it's like this, right?

Ignore it? It's just a sensation ...

I'm not saying it's easy. I've lost over 100 lbs with about 10 to go. Sometimes / rarely I am really hungry even though my eating and activity-level hasn't changed. Sometimes I experience this for a couple days. I have learned to ignore it. I think it's kind of like my body going, "Really want to do this?!" And then I'll drop several pounds.

I also think if you ate a bit more today that you won't derail anything. One "a-little-higher-than-usual" day over the course of a month isn't going to mess you up.

You've also gotten good advice about protein, etc. There are a lot of posts on MFP lately about hunger and that you're not supposed to be hungry ... I dunno, I mean I get there are types of things to eat that will keep you full longer, but you're cutting down what you eat, right? It can take some getting used to. Just don't think you're necessarily doing something wrong. Sometimes, it just happens and it stinks. But, a month from now you won't believe how much less you eat than you used to ...
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Cottage cheese is the best breakfast in town IMHO. High protein, low calorie and I find it very satiating. A cup along with a piece of fruit easily carries me to lunch. I also do a shake on the way to the gym in the morning so I've had 50g of protein before I even head to work. Helps to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I do also agree with youdoyou2016. You likely need to get used to being a little, just a little, hungry most of the time. Even immediately after a delicious and satisfying meal, I never feel fully stuffed like I would have in the past due to the fact that I'm now eating appropriately sized portions rather than over-eating.
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Agreed with adding protein! I eat about 25 grams of carbs worth of oatmeal and then a few chicken breakfast sausage links or some turkey bacon. That will hold me over until well into lunch.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only time i have oatmeal is for dessert before bed, never as an actual meal. And if i can't fit 80grams worth in my calories then i don't bother at all. Apples only make more hungry.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go on a new diet, it really takes my body at least 10-14 days to accept "the new normal". But it eventually decides to settle in and things get easier.

Like others, the big factor that helped me was getting away from carbs (not eliminating them) and eating more protein. The protein just provides longer-lasting satiation and energy.

Oh, and coffee. It's not a perfect solution but it's an energy boost and fills my stomach.

There's nothing wrong with oatmeal, but not all oatmeal is equal. My average breakfast may be oatmeal, but I try to find a high-fiber, high-protein oatmeal. Right now I've got Kashi GoLean in the pantry, and it's a pretty good brand and Quaker makes some good stuff too. It really does make a difference in how I feel later.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just eat two breakfasts and fit it into my calories for the day.

I have oatmeal almost every morning with a little fruit (1/4 cup berries) and a little greek yogurt - no added sugar or milk. That's enough to fuel a morning workout. Then I have a "second breakfast" of a boiled egg (or two egg whites) and half a piece of fruit later in the morning. Sometimes I'll have the fruit with a light string cheese. Those two small meals always tide me over until lunch.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find 1 cup of red seedless grapes, 1 100-calorie container of Greek yogurt, and 1 granola bar (1/2 of a Nature Valley 2-bar pack) crumbled on top fuels me till lunchtime on less than 300 calories. And if, for some reason, it doesn't, I grab a piece of string cheese or a fruit for a snack.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sometimes apples make you hungry because of the carbs. Good luck!

Eating food, carb or otherwise, doesn't increase appetite.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Can't you just let yourself be hungry for an hour? I can go a couple of hours being hungry. I get hungry around 4 pm at work, get off at 6:30. I can ride it out until I get home and can make something to eat. Otherwise, eat more protein, and try not eating breakfast. I drink coffee that keeps me satiated until late afternoon. I end up doing IF.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Sometimes apples make you hungry because of the carbs. Good luck!

Eating food, carb or otherwise, doesn't increase appetite.

There is something about apples though. Many people find they just make them hungrier, i have no idea why.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    Can't you just let yourself be hungry for an hour? I can go a couple of hours being hungry. I get hungry around 4 pm at work, get off at 6:30. I can ride it out until I get home and can make something to eat. Otherwise, eat more protein, and try not eating breakfast. I drink coffee that keeps me satiated until late afternoon. I end up doing IF.

OK, this made me laugh, but also made me ponder. You're right, we are always so used to being comfortable in life and rarely allow ourselves to even feel hunger. "Food" for thought!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    mom22dogs wrote: »

OK, this made me laugh, but also made me ponder. You're right, we are always so used to being comfortable in life and rarely allow ourselves to even feel hunger. "Food" for thought!

So true. I don't think many of us here can identify with what it truly feels like to be actually starving. Peckish and a little hungry, yes.

• bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Add protein and fat to your breakfast. A warm/hot cup of team might also help.