Anyone try intermittent fasting with good results?

Options
2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do 16:8 and it has been a game changer for me. I get to enjoy the big dinners I love while staying in my calories. I've also experienced better sleep and less cravings.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was irritable and hungry. I do better spreading my calories out over the day. But by all means, give it a shot!
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Have been doing 16:8 for a long time now! It still boils down to CICO, but I've lost 56 lbs so far. 198 more to go!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Before I knew about all these various patterns of IF, I already came up with an approach where I prioritize my meals. Basically I would eat less or skip the unimportant meals and eat adequately or more in the meals that are important.
  • jevelynr3
    jevelynr3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been doing IF for awhile, and I find it works great for me. It helps keep my calorie intake down, and definitely has helped me lose weight. Feel free to add me, and we can discuss it further, as well as help keep each other motivated! Always looking for new friends to help reach those fitness goals!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Molly_234 wrote: »
    I've been doing the 16:8 for a few months now. It really helps curb my appetite and I seem to make better eating choices when I skip the sugary breakfast foods that I used to eat daily. Eating first thing in the morning makes me starving a few hours later. When I skip breakfast, I am less hungry and have more calories to work until about 8pm and I love it! Below is an interesting article about IT.
    Planning your meals to hit your appetite and preferences is smart. But is the only alternative to sugary breakfast no breakfast?
    "When you eat a meal, your body spends a few hours processing that food, burning what it can from what you just consumed. Because it has all of this readily available, easy to burn energy in its blood stream (thanks to the food you ate), your body will choose to use that as energy rather than the fat you have stored. This is especially true if you just consumed carbohydrates/sugar, as your body prefers to burn sugar as energy before any other source.

During the “fasted state,” your body doesn’t have a recently consumed meal to use as energy, so it is more likely to pull from the fat stored in your body, rather than the glucose in your blood stream or glycogen in your in your muscles/liver."

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
    This actually makes no sense. Your body burns what energy is available, period. When you eat, it burns energy from what you just ate (mainly sugar). When you fast, it burns energy from what you ate before (mainly fat). Why would it make any difference?
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I only found out about IF recently and I'm on maintenance but I thought I'd give it a spin, more as a challenge than anything else. I wanted to see if I could skip breakfast and make it through to lunch without being mentally consumed with thoughts of eating. It was much easier than I expected and so I added it to my toolbox of maintenance/weight loss options. I'm planning on continuing it about twice a week, once mid-week and probably from dinner Friday to lunch Saturday and then pigging out on a homemade pizza or other delicacy whenever I can on Saturday.