When does stretching stop being painful?

2»

Replies

• ISO905
    ISO905 Posts: 17 Member
    Stretching should never be done to the point of pain. When you static stretch, just lean into the stretch to the point where it feels mildly uncomfortable then hold that position for 20-30 seconds. For calf stretching I would stick with just #2 of the ones you listed that you did. The others are the same (they may look different because your body/feet are in different positions) but they are stretching the same muscle. If you do all three then you are basically stretching the calf muscle for triple the time that you need to.

Your hip flexor website you reference...it states the purpose of the hip flexors are to:
    Flexing your hip joint.
    Flexing your trunk forward.
    Pulling your knees upward.

These are all the exact same movement and it's all called hip flexion so I thought that was kinda weird. The stretches demonstrated are heavy on showing adductor stretches....no need to do more than one type of those. If you were going to do any of the stretches in the website then stick with the butterfly stretch (adductors), the kneeling hip flexor stretch (the psoas muscle) and a quad stretch. Those 3 stretches will be all you need for stretching your hip flexors.

Its true that many people, especially those that sit for long periods of time, should stretch their calves and hip flexors. I think @wanzik mentioned to try a foam roller....that is great advice. Use a foam roller on the calves and quads before stretching and you have yourself a world class flexibility routine.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    From my experience after 5 years - it never stops.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,481 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Stretching should feel good not be painful. I would try to stretch just to the point it starts to hurt and then work your way slowly more and more. Hold the almost painful stretch for 8 seconds then 10 seconds the next day etc. This is what I do with yoga.

Yes, this!

• Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Stretching should feel good not be painful. I would try to stretch just to the point it starts to hurt and then work your way slowly more and more. Hold the almost painful stretch for 8 seconds then 10 seconds the next day etc. This is what I do with yoga.

Yes, this!
    zyxst wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    What kind of pain are you experiencing? Is it uncomfortable/hurts so good? Or is it pinching, feels like you're tearing something?

It's sorta like "Hey man, you need to stop doing this or you're going to regret it" pain. It's not "oh this will feel great in 5 minutes" nor tearing/pulling a muscle. My back felt like it'd been hit with a board and my legs were very wobbly with pain like the start of a Charley horse.

That doesn't sound right ... especially not from stretching.

I get that sort of feeling in my back when my kidney stones are on the move, and I get the feeling like the start of a cramp when I cycle more intensely or longer than usual ... but not while stretching.

Are you hydrated?

• Machka9
    edited February 2017
    Lizarking wrote: »
    ...what sort of stretching are you doing?

For my calves, I did #2, #3, and #6 from here: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Best-Calf-Stretches-3102547#photo-3102808

For hips, I did #1, #3, and #6, and attempted #4 and #5 (I can't hold a squat on my heels without ending up on my butt) from here: http://www.fitbodyhq.com/fitness/12-great-stretches-for-tight-hip-flexors/

I wasn't given any directions other than "your hip flexors and calves are tight. start stretching every day."

I do the first and second ones mentioned in your first link for my calves ... once or twice for each calf, hold for 10-20 seconds, holding steady, no bouncing, just going to the point where I feel a bit of a stretch.

I do a variation of the second one on the bicycle while I'm riding. Find a place where I can coast, stand up with one foot in the 6:00 position and the other in 12:00. With the foot in the 6:00 position, I drop my heel very slowly so that there's a slight stretch. Then change so that the other foot is in the 6:00 position and drop that heel very slowly so that there's a slight stretch. Sit down and keep pedalling.

I do one and seven of the hip stretches. One is really easy ... you just go until you feel a bit of a stretch. Not too far. No bouncing. Slow and easy and hold for 20-30 seconds and you're done. You can make it even easier by sitting on a yoga block.

Seven's difficulty comes in getting into the stretch position, but it feels so good in the middle of a very long ride! :) I'll hold that one for a good 30 seconds or more just because it feels so good and makes me feel better on the bicycle if things have been tightening up a bit.

You might benefit from going to a yoga class with a good instructor who can look at your posture and the way you're doing it and offer some suggestions.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Yes. I did a few minutes of walking around. I don't stretch because it hurts which is why I need to stretch. Circular logic.

try to see it as cumulative. if you're like me, you won't get out of the mess that you're in overnight, so it has to be something like 'i'll take a month and do it consistently, and i'll assess after that.' and then during that month try to just go with the nickel-and-dime kind of approach rather than the full-on attack.

a lacrosse ball (or actually maybe something softer to start with) and some google time about trigger points could also help a whole lot. there's a fair number of sites out there that give you 'maps' to where to find the triggers in specific muscles, and what to do with them once you find them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

Yes, this!
    What kind of pain are you experiencing? Is it uncomfortable/hurts so good? Or is it pinching, feels like you're tearing something?

It's sorta like "Hey man, you need to stop doing this or you're going to regret it" pain. It's not "oh this will feel great in 5 minutes" nor tearing/pulling a muscle. My back felt like it'd been hit with a board and my legs were very wobbly with pain like the start of a Charley horse.

I get that sort of feeling in my back when my kidney stones are on the move, and I get the feeling like the start of a cramp when I cycle more intensely or longer than usual ... but not while stretching.

Are you hydrated?

Hydrated, yes.

My back hurt so much because I had to do these positions with my back "straight" or "in a neutral position" (whatever than means). When I sit on the floor, I lean forward to make my big gut less noticeable/too much weight in the front.

I feel okay this morning. I definitely don't want to do these again. I like the calf ones, but the hip flexor ones are on the Nope list. Will do them again today, but do the hips first.
  • Machka9

Yes, this!

Are you hydrated?

Hydrated, yes.

My back hurt so much because I had to do these positions with my back "straight" or "in a neutral position" (whatever than means). When I sit on the floor, I lean forward to make my big gut less noticeable/too much weight in the front.

I feel okay this morning. I definitely don't want to do these again. I like the calf ones, but the hip flexor ones are on the Nope list. Will do them again today, but do the hips first.

Do the first one of those hip ones, but sit on a yoga block to do it and be sure to sit bolt upright. Do it once, and leave it at that, then do a couple different calf ones ... one rep each. Hold for about 20 seconds.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member

Yes, this!

Are you hydrated?

Hydrated, yes.

ACK! In doing yoga or stretches you really NEED to be aligned correctly or injury can result. I can assure you people aren't particuarly interested in how you look. Your midsection will look better with toning than with trying to get sucked in unnaturally when doing yoga.

It also sounds like you need some guidance from a good instructor...it wsounds like you are really unclear on your positioning and what modifications you should make to prevent over-extending yourself. If you're trying to force yourself into the position the ultra-limber instructor is in when you aren't there, you need to know what to do. I've been doing yoga for 15 years and I can't always get into certain poses and make modifications.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I would say for an individual who has not been stretching for a very long time it is completely expected for it to be painful and tight.

Let's face it, massage can be painful as well depending on how tight and sore our muscles are. To others without many adhesions it can just feel "relaxing".

Both massage, static stretching, and self-myofascial release can be painful when you first begin and they all operate under the same mechanism of "autogenic inhibition". Essentially, here's what you need to know... Our muscles have two sensory receptors that keep us from injury and tears. The first is muscle spindles (which run perpendicular to the muscle) and the second is the Golgi Tendon Organ (located where muscle meets bone).

AakK0Zo.png

The muscle spindles will cause the entire muscle to tense up when it experiences a change in length and tension. This is to prevent over-stretching, tearing, injury, etc.

The golgi tendon organ will inhibit the muscle spindles reaction when the change has been held over a long period of time (minimum 30 seconds) and once it's been established that injury will not occur.

Essentially, when we are stretching we are becoming more efficient at recruiting the GTO and encouraging elongation of muscle fibers, taking advantage of viscoelastic properties of muscles and tendons thereby allowing the muscle to relax and lengthen more efficiently.

So is it normal? Yes.

What I would do in your case is to start a full body stretching routine. I would also incorporate foam rolling to release any adhesions. Stretches should be done to the point of tension and never beyond. Hold all stretches for a long period of time. It should be uncomfortable at first (i think foam rolling is about a 7 out of 10 on a pain scale) but it will get better over time.
  • zyxst
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

Yes, this!

Are you hydrated?

Hydrated, yes.

ACK! In doing yoga or stretches you really NEED to be aligned correctly or injury can result. I can assure you people aren't particuarly interested in how you look. Your midsection will look better with toning than with trying to get sucked in unnaturally when doing yoga.

It also sounds like you need some guidance from a good instructor...it wsounds like you are really unclear on your positioning and what modifications you should make to prevent over-extending yourself. If you're trying to force yourself into the position the ultra-limber instructor is in when you aren't there, you need to know what to do. I've been doing yoga for 15 years and I can't always get into certain poses and make modifications.

I don't have an option for sessions with an instructor. It would help a lot since someone would be able to physically put me in the position(s) I should be in rather than me guessing based on a 45 second video.

I don't suck in my stomach doing this stuff. My body/brain have more than enough dealing with keeping myself from falling over.
    fall-back.gif
  • Machka9

Yes, this!

Are you hydrated?

Hydrated, yes.

I don't have an option for sessions with an instructor. It would help a lot since someone would be able to physically put me in the position(s) I should be in rather than me guessing based on a 45 second video.

Do you have yoga classes in your area? Check your community classes, those are usually quite reasonably priced. Or your local city gym or similar.

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    I do a workout program called "Classical Stretch" which is available on many PBS stations...DVR it if you can.

I like it because it is a program that is developed with exercises for ALL levels, from Olympic athletes to little old ladies to everyone in between--seriously. Miranda does a remarkable job of instructing how to not work hard, work smart, and never to do anything to a "knife pain".

I'd REALLY recommend it. She's not flashy, she's not sexy-trendy, but she knows her stuff, if you DVR it it's free, and it's 22 minute program that really works:

http://www.classicalstretch.com/

I second this. Classical stretch is what got me out of being stiff and sedentary. It airs on PBS a couple times per week in my area.
  • zyxst

Yes, this!

Are you hydrated?

Hydrated, yes.

Do you have yoga classes in your area? Check your community classes, those are usually quite reasonably priced. Or your local city gym or similar.

There are plenty of classes. I don't have the money available to pay for them.