Casein Protein

Options
Going to give casein protein a try for the first time. What are some favorite brands? Good flavors? Favorite ways to use?

Thank you!

Replies

• alexlr05
    alexlr05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition chocolate is good and mixes well. At night I do a scoop in the blender with a TB of PB2 powder, ice, and Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Almost like a milkshake. :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of precision engineered casein. Not a fan of most of their stuff but do like the casein.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Have you researched potential negatives from taking casein supplements?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Such as.....?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I found it on my own search for casein protein recommendations. I was looking for a casein powder without artificial sweeteners. Then I became interested in KeepRunning's comment about potential negatives.

According to the Mercola site: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/09/30/casein-protein-supplements.aspx

Casein can potentially disrupt your immune function because it contains opioids called casomorphins. It's noted that once cancer patients begin morphine treatment, they rapidly decline because the opioids suppress the immune system.

Also on the site: Avoid using casein that is thermolyzed (heat-treated). Casein is the most carcinogenic among thermolyzed foods.

Mercola says that the safest casein is cheese casein, but I can't find a protein powder with cheese casein. Next best is micellar casein, but this form isn't very shelf stable and may include residues such as salts, sodium caseinate and polydextrose. If purchasing micellar casein, first ask the product provider for an updated certificate of analysis (CofA) and an independent lab report to prove the product's protein integrity.

Wow! Sounds like too much trouble to sort through all this unless you're taking it every day for a long time. If there are any casein experts out there please chime in!

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Have you?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Please note the Feb 1 date.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say you shouldn't base anything on Mercola. His site has a new thing that will kill you or give you cancer every day, then when he has you good and scared he tries to sell you something.

I don't use a separate casein, but my protein of choice is Trutein which is a whey, casein, egg combo. I think it's super yummy and it seems more filling than straight up whey to me. It does have artificial sweetener if that's not your thing though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I found it on my own search for casein protein recommendations. I was looking for a casein powder without artificial sweeteners. Then I became interested in KeepRunning's comment about potential negatives.

According to the Mercola site: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2016/09/30/casein-protein-supplements.aspx

Casein can potentially disrupt your immune function because it contains opioids called casomorphins. It's noted that once cancer patients begin morphine treatment, they rapidly decline because the opioids suppress the immune system.

Also on the site: Avoid using casein that is thermolyzed (heat-treated). Casein is the most carcinogenic among thermolyzed foods.

Mercola says that the safest casein is cheese casein, but I can't find a protein powder with cheese casein. Next best is micellar casein, but this form isn't very shelf stable and may include residues such as salts, sodium caseinate and polydextrose. If purchasing micellar casein, first ask the product provider for an updated certificate of analysis (CofA) and an independent lab report to prove the product's protein integrity.

Wow! Sounds like too much trouble to sort through all this unless you're taking it every day for a long time. If there are any casein experts out there please chime in!

I would never trust mercola on any topic. They are a terrible source of information. I'd look information coming from actual scientific agencies or universities.