Help!-Gaining weight as a diabetic

Options
Hey y'all,
I'm looking to try to gain some weight to add a little bit more mass to my body. I have little to no problem getting cut but I'm trying to get bigger in addition. My problem seems to be dieting to gain weight, and avoiding carbs. I'm a type 1 diabetic and so many diets call for a lot of carbs. Is there anything you all know of dieting wise that I can get all the calories without the carbs? Currently at 170, looking to hit 185! Thanks!

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am low carb and on the autoimmune protocol. I am trying to gain weight. After a whole lot of tweaking, I am finally seeing some success, so I'll give you some pointers for high calorie foods (even stuff I can't eat at the moment). I am not sure what your carb levels are, so I'm leaving fruits and vegetables out.

- fatty meats and seafood: poultry thighs (leg + thighs are even better), 80-85 % lean ground beef, lamb, salmon, sardines, trout, mackerel.
    - fats: whole fat milk and other dairy (also try goat and sheep dairy), full fat canned coconut milk, oil, olives, avocados.
    - nuts, seeds, and their butters.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Like all other gaining plans, you need to figure out what your maintenance calories are, and increase by 10% ish. I don't know our carb levels, but I would probably time them around your workouts for energy and recovery (anecdotally, this is work well with some of the people have worked with on Keto diets). Generally, I put 30g of pro/cho, pre/post workout and I tend to spread protein throughout the day. Ultimately, calories are the most important.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm also a type 1 eating low carb. Though I'm trying to lose weight rather than gain, my suggestion for gaining muscle on low carb with sustained BG is to get sufficient protein and to space it out throughout the day. Add fat, with timing being less important (for the BG reasons that I'm sure you are aware of).

If you time protein intake and amounts properly, you eat very low carb, and your basals are set correctly; you should be able to sustain off of basal rates alone without the need for a bolus or for carbs to correct. That is in theory, of course... most of us have lives outside of T1D, cravings for foods, and even enough net carbs from protein sources and low carb veggies to make that not quite a reality.

Are you on a pump or MDI? In either case, I suggest starting with a fasting basal test. The action you take in response to the results will be different depending on which you use. Once you have dialed in basals, then take the next step to figuring out quantity and timing of protein intake.

Feel free to friend me if you would like.
  • RayMaz1
    RayMaz1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have Type 2 Diabetes and on metformin and Sulfonylureas. BG control goes up and down.
    Tried Intermittent fasting (18-6) and unfortunately lost 10 kg of weight during the time... now trying to control blood sugars AND gain weight.
    Looking for inspiration/motivation/support/ tricks and tips from others with the same goals.

Open to connecting..