Skiing while obese

Options
To celebrate my next mini-goal of 224 lbs I would like to try skiing. I'm about 40 minutes from Tahoe and feel like I'm missing out on a great opportunity. I was wondering if there are any sort of weight or size limits when it comes to equipment I would be renting. I did a Google search and mostly came up with people talking about physical fitness and big calves not fitting into ski boots. I run, lift, and live at 5000' so I'm not too worried about fitness, but will my 18 inch calves be fine in ski boots? Is there anything else I should be thinking about before going? I was planning on taking a lesson to get started and just going for one day since I'm so close.

Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have fun
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Nordic or alpine?

Guessing alpine because of the boots thing. Downhill skis are pretty strong because of the forces involved. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're doing alpine, try Nordic, too. The boots are a hell of a lot more comfortable, and you can make it a great workout if you want to, basically like running without the impact.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    When you go, if you don't own the skis, boots, and poles, they can fit you in that rental equipment. It is much, much, more difficult for me to ski being overweight, than at goal weight. To get up if you fall, is easier if your lighter, and a bit harder being larger. Bring a friend with you. So make sure when buying your lift ticket, you purchase a half day pass, half day beginer lesson. Are you pretty good with your balance? Be careful. Go slow. Snow plow, snow plow. Bring your own warm gloves, hat, sunglasses or goggles, a backpack and water. You can pack your own lunch if you want. Just let them fit your feet and calves for the boots. Probably a non-rear entry boot, a standard entry boot with buckle closures over the top of your foot. Have fun.... Take some pictures, and post them!! :)
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    Ps. I started skiing when I was 13. My mom sent us up to China Peak on the Jack Peroni ski bus every Saturday to get us out of her hair. So, we would have a half day of lessons, and half day whatever we wanted. I loooove to ski!! Last time I went, we went to Alpine Meadows, Northstar, Squaw Valley, and Heavenly. One of them had a ice skating rink too. Now that I think of it, its been 10 years since I've been skiing. :/ That sucks.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Nordic or alpine?

Guessing alpine because of the boots thing. Downhill skis are pretty strong because of the forces involved. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're doing alpine, try Nordic, too. The boots are a hell of a lot more comfortable, and you can make it a great workout if you want to, basically like running without the impact.

I was thinking alpine, because I can't remember what flat looks like. But I looked up Nordic and apparently that is a thing around here on the California side. The first place I clicked is way cheaper than anything downhill I was looking at. I think I have some more research to do.

HyeKarma wrote: »
    When you go, if you don't own the skis, boots, and poles, they can fit you in that rental equipment. It is much, much, more difficult for me to ski being overweight, than at goal weight. To get up if you fall, is easier if your lighter, and a bit harder being larger. Bring a friend with you. So make sure when buying your lift ticket, you purchase a half day pass, half day beginer lesson. Are you pretty good with your balance? Be careful. Go slow. Snow plow, snow plow. Bring your own warm gloves, hat, sunglasses or goggles, a backpack and water. You can pack your own lunch if you want. Just let them fit your feet and calves for the boots. Probably a non-rear entry boot, a standard entry boot with buckle closures over the top of your foot. Have fun.... Take some pictures, and post them!! :)

Thanks for the advice. I have pretty good balance and a low center of gravity, so I'm hopeful. If not, I was a terrible gymnast as a child so I am good at falling. I still have 6 more pounds to this goal then probably want to wait for a clear weekend, but I'll post up some photos when I go.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Nordic (aka cross country) isn't just for flat ground. It's actually a lot more fun with hills. It's definitely cheaper than alpine/downhill in every way. The boots are locked to the skis at the toe, but on a hinge so you pick your heel up as you go - it feels like walking, a very natural movement. I sound like an evangelist; I took a downhill lesson and the boots felt like a cast and I wasn't comfortable. I tried Nordic, and it was like a fish to water. So my opinion is very biased, but you should for sure give it a try.

I want to second @HyeKarma's advice about bringing a pack with what you need. Especially water. It's amazing how the cold air pulls it out of you.

And whatever type you do, I hope you enjoy it. Winter is beautiful, skiing is a fun way to take in the sights and enjoy fresh air and open sky above you.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You should be fine - people wayyy bigger than you ski.

I used to work at one of the major resorts in Northern Vermont.

One big warning I have is to just be sure to keep things short and sweet. Take a lesson--this sport is very complex and learning to do it right is very important. BUT DO NOT PUSH IT. The way people get injured is by squeezing in one more run because of the lift ticket price. That's when muscles are tired and it's more likely to have falls and injures. And if you are heavier, the more mass when you fall. Better to stop before you're really really tired and avoid that.
  • bowsontoes
    bowsontoes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    And don't be afraid to fall if you can't control your speed! Fall on purpose that is. Taking a lesson is definitely a good idea. If you have good lower body strength and can shift your center of gravity it helps a lot. And snow plow/pizza poses will be your friend - just make sure you have good knees and engage your quads since bevelinf your foot inward can cause joint stress. I have bad knees but love to ski, but I concentrate on my thighs and gluteus mediums muscles when I strength train since I work them a ton skiing.

And have fun! Winter sports are the best, and it is so freeing to ski. Kudos to trying a new support too, I love the challenge of working my muscles in a new way (I'm debating boxing or karate myself for 2017!). Report back :)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    All the advice above is good. As far as boots, women's downhill boots are typically designed to accommodate our larger calves. Try some rental skis/boots or for a more custom fit "demo" some different skis and boots from a retail shop. Most of all, just have fun with it.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    Options
    3 other things I thought of for you. And they are important.
    1 - Not sure what vehicle your driving. But check the road conditions. You may need to have chains for your vehicle. My husband just drove from Reno in a Chevy Colorado, and other person in a commercial larger truck. And for 6 miles by Donner Pass chains were required. If you expect that chains are required, purchase from your local sporting goods store. While your driving, they will stop you when they need to be put on, and taken off. Allow the guys to do that for you. They charge cash money. Its more to have them put on, and a little less to have them taken off. And well worth the money. Take some extra cash, just for that.
    2- Sunscreen for your face. In your pack.
    3- A good chapstick for your lips..
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion. I agree with quite a bit. I love the idea of paying someone to put on your chains and then take them off. I never got the knack for that skill (wanted to be independent) and have ended up losing several pair because I couldn't put them on right. Now I drive a Subaru and just don't worry about it. Personally, I don't like bringing a water pack with me skiing. I hate the feeling of the pack against the chair. It makes me feel like it is pushing me to the edge, and if you decided to take it off every run then you have to fool with it when you get on and off the lift, and when you are just learning, this is a huge distraction. I have on occasion seen backpack straps get caught in the chairlift. Not life and death, but again a pain. Also, there should be plenty of water in the lodge. Beginner slopes are often located right next to the lodge so it is not hard to go inside for a minute and get a drink. Love the half day idea for first time out. For me, goggles are a must. If you don't want to buy try to find someone that you can borrow them from. I would wait for a nice day. First time out, there are enough stresses. It is good not to worry about the cold/visibility/difficult snow conditions. Skiing is a lot of fun eventually. It took me a while to get it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    One more thought: rent a helmet. Having been the recipient of several head injuries which fortunately didn't result in serious damage (that I know of ;) ) I'm a strong believer in protecting my brain. A side benefit is they keep your head warmer.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Nordic or alpine?

I was thinking alpine, because I can't remember what flat looks like. But I looked up Nordic and apparently that is a thing around here on the California side. The first place I clicked is way cheaper than anything downhill I was looking at. I think I have some more research to do.

Tahoe Donner Cross Country Ski area is in Truckee almost across the street from the golf course. They have some really great trails, and some good instructors (last time I was there was 6 years ago though).
    Nordic skis are sized by mass. Just about any place that rents them will have something that works for you - usually about in the 190-200cm range. Ski poles are sized by height (naturally).

Royal Gorge in Soda Springs looks nice too, but I've never been. At the time, Tahoe Donner was much cheaper for skate ski lessons ;)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. I would highly recommend taking a lesson. My 1st time skiing was my friend taking me telling me she'd teach me. She got me to the top of the bunny hill, told me to point my toes together when I wanted to stop and left me for the bigger hills. It was horrible, but luckily I gave it another chance and love it now.

I 2nd no back pack. It's going to be a challenge enough learning to ski without having to worry about getting hooked to something.

Goggles are great as well. If it snows, the snow will sting your eyes, if it's sunny, you'll be blinded, sunglasses allow wind to blow right in your ears which is miserable. You can find goggles for $20 to $25 or try to borrow from a friend.

Learning is the hardest part. Once you've got the feel for it, skiing is an amazing sport. Have fun!!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    No worries on boots - they will be fine. Ski pants are a challenge, don't hesitate to try men's (can't tell) and bibs are more comfortable.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Rental boots are seemingly always very soft and wide compared to new boots, so you are unlikely to have a big issue there.

One caution: it is important to tell the rental people your weight honestly, so that the DIN setting on your bindings is correct for you - otherwise, you might end up losing a ski at an unwanted moment and that can be pretty dangerous, especially when you aren't used to bailing on skis. Novice skiers aren't going to be skiing aggressively and needing a crazy high DIN even if they are heavy, but it's still important that your skis only release appropriately and not the first time you attempt to stop or whatever.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've only done Nordic myself (and at much higher weights than your current one) but I really don't see why not.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. They have been helpful and encouraging. I hit my mini goal last week and am planning my ski day. I've decided to do cross country at Tahoe Donner. It's about an hour from me and there are some good deals on lesson packages. Now I have two more questions.

1. What kind of weather is good for XC? Chain controls and traffic slowdowns are a headache in even slightly bad weather on the 80, so warm and clear would be ideal for driving. Would a sunny 50 degree day be good for skiing or is colder better? As the trails are groomed should I care about recent weather and how much or what type of snow has fallen?

2. What should I wear? Can I just wear my running gear or do I need specific clothes for skiing? How about my husband who owns no athletic or snow clothes, what should he get?
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    2. What should I wear? Can I just wear my running gear or do I need specific clothes for skiing? How about my husband who owns no athletic or snow clothes, what should he get?

Congratulations on your progress so far - and what a great way to celebrate!
    I tried out skiing for the first time last year - had the best time and can't believe I'd not tried it sooner.

In terms of kit, I'd definitely recommend buying/borrowing waterproof salopetes and a ski jacket as a minimum. If you're just starting out, you'd expect a couple of falls and it'll get miserable fast if you're just in running clothes and get cold and wet...

Have fun :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Skiing is super fun, I done it at many weights. Above all else, wear a helmet.