How much protein/fat/carbs/calories?

Options
KimmalyS
KimmalyS Posts: 131 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I am 5'5" @ 130 lbs- my goal is to build muscle
Is there an equation of how much one should take in?

Replies

• Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 50% Protein 30% carbs and 20% fats. But I have seen some do 40 protein and 40 carbs and 20 fats.

Do trial and error. Try some out and see what works for you. Also it does depend on how much calories your consuming too.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people overestimate their protein intake. I would say around 0.8 grams/lb to 1 grams, so thats around 104 to 130 grams for you. You can even go higher but unless you are a meat lover, there is no point really in terms of muscle building.
    The fat, I would say 50 grams, rest carb up for strength training.
    So say you go for 1400 calorie diet: 110 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat, 127 grams of carbs. Can add more stuff if you workout that day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The general recommendation of macros is:
    Protein: 0.6-0.8 g per lb bodyweight*
    Fat: 0.3-0.45g per lb
    Rest carbs

*to add, you can go by lean mass or bodyweight if you are close or at goal

These are minimums so you can increase what you like depending on your satiety, energy levels, preferences, etc.

In terms of cals, if you are going by TDEE, increase your cals by 200-300 per day. Otherwise set up MFP to gain. (recommended for women is around 0.5lbs per week or 2lbs per month to decrease fat gains)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Rest carbs

These are minimums so you can increase what you like depending on your satiety, energy levels, preferences, etc.

In terms of cals, if you are going by TDEE, increase your cals by 200-300 per day. Otherwise set up MFP to gain. (recommended for women is around 0.5lbs per week or 2lbs per month to decrease fat gains)

That gives me the classic 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat. Problem is that I can't seem to keep my carbs less than 45% nor get my fat up to 25%. For ongoing maintenance I might have to stick tp 45% 30% 25% because I need something I stick to. Is having fats a bit lower than recommendations a problem?
  • jennjune2014
    jennjune2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My two cents

Calculate you age height weight and activity level.

TDEE CALCULATOR
    https://tdeecalculator.net/

The calculator gives you the options to maintain cut or bulk.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Optimal? Not really. Think about macros as acceptable ranges, as @sardelsa mentioned above. Where you fall within those ranges should be dictated by personal preference and your goals.

If your goal is to build muscle, make sure your overall calorie balance is in a surplus.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Rest carbs

That gives me the classic 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat. Problem is that I can't seem to keep my carbs less than 45% nor get my fat up to 25%. For ongoing maintenance I might have to stick tp 45% 30% 25% because I need something I stick to. Is having fats a bit lower than recommendations a problem?

I doubt there will be a meaningful difference between 40/30/30 and 45/30/25... but post your actual gram numbers if you're really worried about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    To clarify OP, if you want to maximize the process of gaining muscle, you do realize that would require a surplus which means you would also gain fat right? Or do you really mean, you want to slim down by cutting body fat and improve definition, and maybe gain actual muscle mass? Because you can gain muscle and lose some fat while following a recomp. It's not as ideal, but does address the psychological aspects of gaining and losing weight.

Also, the bigger thing is, you need to follow a progressive overload resistance program, like one of these: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carbs and upped protein. Fat was already where it was suppose to be. The fats you want should mostly come from fish, avacado, seeds, nuts.. and less from veal, beef, and other bad fat sources.

You want monosaturared and Polyunsaturated fats. Saturated fats are ok on small amounts but trans isn't good at all. And if it says zero trans fats..it could have .4999 grams snuck in. They can say 0 if it's below 5.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    I lowered my carbs and upped protein. Fat was already where it was suppose to be. The fats you want should mostly come from fish, avacado, seeds, nuts.. and less from veal, beef, and other bad fat sources.

You want monosaturared and Polyunsaturated fats. Saturated fats are ok on small amounts but trans isn't good at all. And if it says zero trans fats..it could have .4999 grams snuck in. They can say 0 if it's below 5.

There isn't anythig wrong with veal, beef or other red meats. If you limit SFA, it should be limited from fried foods. The more recent studies suggested that SFA from beef and dairy had no negative impact on metabolic or health markers.