I have a problem

Options
I went to the doctor because my hand and shoulder were swollen and I was in pain. I do a lot of work in the computer, so I was afraid of carpal tunel. The thing is that he said that my problem is that I have not been stretching before and after exercises. He made me do some stretches and the pain went away. That was yesterday and now I am having the same issue with my neck.

Lesson learned!!! I really need to invest time on stretching. I was doing it occasionally and not for all of the muscles.

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A lot of people injure themselves due to lack of stretching and looked at not important. In reality it's very important.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try yoga?
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you strength train, be sure to give the rotator cuffs some love. It's common to have an imbalance in the shoulder which can lead to impingement or rc tears.
  • yaiedel
    yaiedel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in pain and it does not go away!
    Tried acupuncture and pills so far.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    yaiedel wrote: »
    I am in pain and it does not go away!
    Tried acupuncture and pills so far.

Sorry for your pain. I've been there. You only started stretching a few days ago and it did initially help. You might just have to be more patient, rest, ice, and stretch as tolerated.
  • yaiedel
    yaiedel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been in pain since Wed. I am taking aleve, hot pads and resting a lot. I am stretching as well, but still painful.

The doctor said that I do not have a lot of strength in my upper body and I am the same work for long hours. That plus not stretching complicated things and now I have the mother of the spasms.

It will take time and I will have to change some habits.