VEGAN FOR 30 DAYS

I have been researching a raw food diet. I want to try it for 30 days and see if my weight has any difference from it. I have had a lot of thought about becoming a vegan.

I would really love any recipes or advise on how to begin and continue. Are there any supplements I need to take for protein or other nutrients?

Any Vegans please advise on this :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Your weight loss will depend on your calories consumed. Some people find they lose weight when they go vegan, others see no change, some even gain weight. In all cases, it's about the calories.

I find Pinterest to be a great source for vegan recipes. You can often type in the type of food you're craving and just add the word "vegan" and get good results.

As a vegan, you can get your protein from food (which includes protein powders, if you choose to eat them). The only required supplement is B12, which isn't available in plant foods (but some vegan foods are fortified with it).
  • SophieeBrook
    SophieeBrook Posts: 29 Member
    The only supplement you need is B12, I choose to take a multivitamin that has B12.

Vegan recepies are the easier to make. Veggies, fruit, pasta, beans and rice are amazing for our body.. Dont overdue the carbs :smile:
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Are you considering going raw or going vegan, or both? Because those are different things.

I second the Pinterest and B12 suggestions. Keep an eye on your macros but don't stress if you have trouble hitting your protein goal--usually I'm way below mine and I'm not dead yet :smile:. Humans don't actually need all protein we think we do, but if you find yourself hungry, definitely step it up. You don't need any other supplements--in fact I recommend getting your nutrients in food form rather than in a pill or powder because the fillers are kind of a gray area. Same with artificial meats--I love my frozen Morningstar sausage patties but they are definitely "mystery meat" so it's more of a treat, plus they are way more expensive than a bag of dried beans anyway.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Hi there, I've been vegan for over a decade and have an open diary to friends -- I've also lost about 120lbs. Feel free to add me if you'd like to lurk an open vegan diary.

Otherwise, Jane's advice is always dead on.
  • janejellyroll
    sarko15 wrote: »
    Are you considering going raw or going vegan, or both? Because those are different things.

I second the Pinterest and B12 suggestions. Keep an eye on your macros but don't stress if you have trouble hitting your protein goal--usually I'm way below mine and I'm not dead yet :smile:. Humans don't actually need all protein we think we do, but if you find yourself hungry, definitely step it up. You don't need any other supplements--in fact I recommend getting your nutrients in food form rather than in a pill or powder because the fillers are kind of a gray area. Same with artificial meats--I love my frozen Morningstar sausage patties but they are definitely "mystery meat" so it's more of a treat, plus they are way more expensive than a bag of dried beans anyway.

IIRC, Morningstar lists all their ingredients on their packaging so there is nothing mysterious about them.

I get that you may be using that as a sort of shorthand way of saying you'd rather not eat a lot of them, but I think there is a lot of unnecessary stigma attached to these foods. They can be a convenient and satisfying way for many people to meet their nutritional needs (and, for those of us who prioritize animal wellbeing, anything that encourages people to eat less meat serves another valuable purpose).

There isn't anything "artificial" about these mock meats. They're just food put into textures, flavors, and forms that appeal to those of us who may miss eating meat.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    It can take your body a few weeks to get used to a big change in eating. We transitioned a little more slowly instead of over night. If you really want to see if veganism can fit your lifestyle, you may have to keep at it longer than a month to see all benefits. When my hubby and I went vegan, the first month was a little rough because our systems weren't used to all the extra fiber and water from more fruits/veggies. We really started feeling fantastic the second month after our tummies settled. Theres some veggie/vegan groups on mfp you can join that were helpful.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member

IIRC, Morningstar lists all their ingredients on their packaging so there is nothing mysterious about them.

I get that you may be using that as a sort of shorthand way of saying you'd rather not eat a lot of them, but I think there is a lot of unnecessary stigma attached to these foods. They can be a convenient and satisfying way for many people to meet their nutritional needs (and, for those of us who prioritize animal wellbeing, anything that encourages people to eat less meat serves another valuable purpose).

There isn't anything "artificial" about these mock meats. They're just food put into textures, flavors, and forms that appeal to those of us who may miss eating meat.

Morningstar might have been a bad example, but there are definitely some brands out there that are a little funkier with their ingredients. I even said I enjoy Morningstar and it is indeed convenient, but I strive to make food myself when I can. Part of my desire to eat more plant based is also to eat simpler and avoid large processed food corporations when I can, which doesn't mean I do it all the time, it's just part of my personal values and what I try to do in my own personal diet. To each their own. That was my two cents because I was invited to share it, it wasn't at all intended to be stigmatizing.
  • janejellyroll

Morningstar might have been a bad example, but there are definitely some brands out there that are a little funkier with their ingredients. I even said I enjoy Morningstar and it is indeed convenient, but I strive to make food myself when I can. Part of my desire to eat more plant based is also to eat simpler and avoid large processed food corporations when I can, which doesn't mean I do it all the time, it's just part of my personal values and what I try to do in my own personal diet. To each their own. That was my two cents because I was invited to share it, it wasn't at all intended to be stigmatizing.

I'm not sure which brands you're thinking of, but I frequently try new vegan mock meats and I don't recall seeing anything that made me feel uncomfortable in terms of being too vague on the packaging (AKA, what I would think of as "mystery meat") or having "fillers." All the meats I see are based on things like soy, wheat gluten, or pea protein -- pretty straightforward in terms of ingredients.

But if you're interested in avoiding larger companies, I encourage you to check out Beyond Meat and Upton's Naturals -- two smaller, vegan, companies doing amazing things with faux meat. Morningstar is owned by Dean Foods (a major dairy conglomerate) and while I don't think vegans have an obligation to avoid purchasing from non-vegan companies, those of us who have the ability to support vegan companies can often help contribute to innovation in vegan cuisine and spending money on companies that may more closely reflect our core values.