Is there anyone who does yoga?

Options
I love yoga. I practice yoga on top of my daily routine of cross training and would like to add others who practice yoga. Yoga has become quite the learning experience for me. Do you yoga? If so, find me. Please! Namaste. ✨❤

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I used to got to yoga 4-5 days/week but unfortunately, a pretty serious motorcycle crash derailed my practice. Planning on getting back at it later this year. Namaste.
  • crvynatrlbeauty
    crvynatrlbeauty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been very interested in adding yoga to my daily routine, but haven't succeeded as of yet. Are there any particular videos that you can recommend?
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm new to it and really enjoy it. So far I've tried power yoga and hatha yoga.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    msvlnorton wrote: »
    I have been very interested in adding yoga to my daily routine, but haven't succeeded as of yet. Are there any particular videos that you can recommend?

If you've never done yoga before, I highly suggest you take some in-person classes first. A good teacher will be able to correct anything that's wrong with your form so that you don't injure yourself. Videos will suffice once you get the basics down, but there's still nothing quite like attending a class. It can get pretty communal and there's something really powerful about 20+ people chanting "om" in unison to close out a class.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    msvlnorton wrote: »

If you've never done yoga before, I highly suggest you take some in-person classes first. A good teacher will be able to correct anything that's wrong with your form so that you don't injure yourself. Videos will suffice once you get the basics down, but there's still nothing quite like attending a class. It can get pretty communal and there's something pretty powerful about 20+ people chanting "om" in unison to close out a class.

Agreed. In person is great for a beginner because if you try it on your own and your form is bad, there's nobody there to help you correct it. There's also a very nurturing, positive, communal vibe that you don't get from a video - that I feel is half the point of yoga in the first place. The teachers are usually great about moving around and helping everyone achieve the correct postures. That's the best part about in-person classes. A teacher in a video can't monitor the participants, change pace or help individuals make modifications. The times I've tried videos I honestly didn't really feel like I was getting the full yoga experience. Definitely invest in some in-person classes if you can! :D
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a regular yogini! I teach yoga twice a week and take classes with other instructors on my days off to stay strong and relax.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What ever exercise you do.Try a few yoga classes at least once a week. There is nothing better to stretch out those worn muscles
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I do some restorative or hatha yoga several times a week. It helps so much with my anxiety plus I feel really good once I'm all stretched out.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do yoga more regularly. I agree that you should go to a class first. I love, love, love hot vinyasa yoga, but also do it at home if I can't get to a class. That said, I prefer the environment of a class; I just wish there was a studio close to my home.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I do some restorative or hatha yoga several times a week. It helps so much with my anxiety plus I feel really good once I'm all stretched out.

Ditto! Restorative yoga has helped so much with my chronic insomnia problems. I try to make it to a hatha or restorative class once a week. I don't really do yoga for the exercise - it is more about relaxing the body and mind for me.
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I try to practice yoga 1-2 times a week in addition to my cardio and strength routine. It definitely helps my mobility and flexibility.
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started taking my friend's vinyasa class, and it's awesome! I've always had a weak core and upper body. It's only been a month and I feel so much stronger already!

I feel awesome after too, like I just got a massage but got a great work out in!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Another vote for learning yoga in person rather than videos. Once that's down, I liked Rodney Yee videos before I developed my own routine.

Off to do some yoga now.
  • MsUrsy
    MsUrsy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for the core. I enjoy yoga in a "hot box"/infared red sauna. The calories burned are amazing and the session is only 30mins.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do yoga twice a week to compliment cardio (2/wk) and weight training (3/wk). I'm currently taking yoga classes, though I started with videos. Yoga has been incredible at helping to develop core strength, balance, flexibility and body/breath awareness which has really helped with weight training, cardio workouts and everyday activities.