Do calories have a bigger impact than the contents of what you're eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Correct. 1200 calories is 1200 calories. But the reason for higher protein or fat is because carbs leave you hungry later on while the other two keep you full all day. (I am learning this and loving this).. But if you are in control of what you eat, you can eat 1200 calories of pastries and be fine.. maybe bloated and icky feeling, but still losing weight. Test out what works for you and adjust where you see problems arise!
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    my body loses weight a LOT slower if i eat 1200 cals with more carbs than with less. IMO, it makes a huge difference.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Correct. 1200 calories is 1200 calories. But the reason for higher protein or fat is because carbs leave you hungry later on while the other two keep you full all day. (I am learning this and loving this).. But if you are in control of what you eat, you can eat 1200 calories of pastries and be fine.. maybe bloated and icky feeling, but still losing weight. Test out what works for you and adjust where you see problems arise!

While this may be true for you, it is not true for everyone and everyone needs to find the balance that works for them. There is no hard and fast rule for what keeps people satiated longer.
  • srosenthal1225
    srosenthal1225 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok New question then if i go over my Macros in a particular area and keep under my calories am I still under for the day?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition (diagnosed or not), 1200 calories is 1200 calories and the weight loss will be the basically the same. Frankly, anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

nothing wrong with french fries. they are just potatoes. and if you bake them you dont have the added calories from the oil..

I don't disagree, but I should have clarified. :) I meant eating just 1200 calories of fries for one day. Personally, I love those things. Just got to find a place in plan for the day for them. Yum!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ok New question then if i go over my Macros in a particular area and keep under my calories am I still under for the day?

Yes. Calories matter for weight loss and macros matter for health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    PosterPens wrote: »
    my body loses weight a LOT slower if i eat 1200 cals with more carbs than with less. IMO, it makes a huge difference.

It's just water weight
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    In for 1200 calories of fries. I need to get a visual on what that looks like in real life (and then eat them, obvs).

I need carbs, starchy carbs (none of this leafy veg nonsense*) with a meal to feel fully satisfied and to stave off hunger. Protein is the most important thing for me but coming quickly up the rear (oo 'er) is some fat and starchy carbs. Missing one of those elements leaves me feeling hungry quickly afterwards. So eat in a way that satisfies your preferences, your appetite and your psychological well being.

*I do like leafy veg, I just don't want to only eat those, gimme some potatoes or pasta or rice or or or...
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from but let's just say 2 peanut butter and banana sandwiches with bread = 1200 calories. Your gonna be hungry afterwards and eating just two sandwiches a day isn't sustainable. (in my opinion) So pick and choose what fills you up with staying within your 1200 calories
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    In for 1200 calories of fries. I need to get a visual on what that looks like in real life (and then eat them, obvs).

Me too. But I have to add the malt vinegar.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I know that theoretically it's all about calories in and calories out but my own experience has been that it does make a difference. When I make poor food choices my body is more reluctant to shed the excess weight... This is observational on my point but I've been at this for many years and have pretty solid anecdotal evidence that making good food choices is helpful to weight loss.

My experience has been that it's easier to eat fewer calories if my food choices are mostly nutritious - but that the calories are what ultimately dictate the weightloss. In other words, less nutritious choices make for more over-my-calorie-goal days and a lower weekly/monthly deficit.
  • jamierobinson12
    jamierobinson12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes. The micronutrient density of foods will ultimately aid your health but losing weight is as simple as energy input vs output.