Do you track condiments, drinks, creamer, etc?

Options
1235»

Replies

• 4rita
    4rita Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do as well. You can get a decent scale at lots of places - both digital and analog. In fact, I saw a couple of different food scales the last time I was at walmart (located where they have the rest of the kitchen stuff). You don't need to get a really fancy scale, but with the digital scales you can be more precise.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    Even the soy sauce in my morning oatmeal (consistency is NOT my strong suit, apparently :) ).

Could you please help me out and tell me about this soy sauce + oatmeal recipe? What else is in it?

@lulalacroix, sure! I don't really like sweet oatmeal, but I love this.

40 grams of oatmeal, about 1/2 cup of water (I don't actually measure the water, I just cover the oatmeal with water). Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. (If you don't use the microwave, just follow the instructions on the box for one serving)

Add a bit of soy sauce to the top of the oatmeal. I use about a teaspoon of the low sodium soy sauce. I don't mix it in, because I just sprinkle it all over the top.

Fry a couple eggs (I use cooking spray on my pan to grease the pan, just a quick spray and I don't count the spray in my log). I like the eggs with runny yolks, the runny yolk and the oatmeal blend well together.

Put the eggs on top of the oatmeal/soy sauce. Eat with a spoon! It's also great with a bit of chopped onions sauteed and mixed in, but I'm out of onions right now.

The eggs + oatmeal + soy sauce is about 300 calories. The onions would add a few more calories, but I don't have an exact amount right now.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    It's a lot better than it sounds. I promise! :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yes I track it,often these days by eyeballing (after three years you kinda get there) but they are tracked
    My question would be why not? After all they are calories (and often calorie dense too)
  • kowlady
    kowlady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, yes. If it doesn't, like salt and some mustards, no. If I had a problem that required monitoring my sodium or other micronutrients, I would start counting everything. Hopefully, I will never have to do that or I'd go nuts.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Even the soy sauce in my morning oatmeal (consistency is NOT my strong suit, apparently :) ).

Could you please help me out and tell me about this soy sauce + oatmeal recipe? What else is in it?

Part of me wants to think she meant soy milk... lol...

Oh please let this be the case!! Lol
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    @jesslla I don't really like oatmeal, just can't get past the texture. If I ever have to eat it again, I might do a savory version instead of sweet. But I still don't know about that soy sauce. Actually, I would love that breakfast if I replaced the oatmeal with rice.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    @lulalacroix It would absolutely work with rice too, or any other grain you like. You could make a big batch of rice and freeze it in small portions, then just heat up what you need for breakfast (or whenever). I don't knew how long to heat frozen rice, but I bet Google does!

Scrambled eggs are good in rice too, and so are chopped veggies. I like peas, carrots, onions, and corn in mine. Really anything works.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    @lulalacroix It would absolutely work with rice too, or any other grain you like. You could make a big batch of rice and freeze it in small portions, then just heat up what you need for breakfast (or whenever). I don't knew how long to heat frozen rice, but I bet Google does!

Scrambled eggs are good in rice too, and so are chopped veggies. I like peas, carrots, onions, and corn in mine. Really anything works.

Mmmmmmm... fried rice with eggs. One of my favorite meals.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If I bite it, I write it.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes. If I drink or eat it, I track it.
  • Lxftcoastenvy
    Lxftcoastenvy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes but I am not only watching calories. Those things usually have alot of sugar and sodium in them. Amazing how different you feel when your mindful of that also.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The first thing I put into my log everyday is 150 cals for milk I expect to drink in tea/coffee through day. It is on my snack list every day. It might not be exactly accurate but it means I dont need to think about every drink, and dont overlook this routine consumption.

I am religiously weighing the "low-fat" mayo on the rare occasion that I use it! The jar says a "portion" is 15g (40 cals). I challenge you to get such a small amount out of the jar. A small soupspoonful is at least twice the "portion" so it is beyond easy to slop on 100 calories of mayo without even trying. This is likely to be where my maintenance has failed in the past .. excess oils in mayo / recipes. Got to be strict here.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. And I recently got a food scale and it made things SO much easier, especially for condiments and spreadables. $15 well spent.

I actually found out that I'd been underestimating some stuff, like peanut butter. 16g looks very different from one tablespoon.