Quest Bars

Options
I read somewhere on MFP that these were great and I ordered some of the double chocolate chunk on Amazon. I ate one after my first group class today and about 10 minutes into my second class, I had to leave due to stomach upset. It was awful. Needless to say, I will be giving these away. Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• Psyduckfan1
    Psyduckfan1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    While I can't quite say so, I have had that problem with protein shakes, which is why I stopped drinking them.

It is possible that this particular bar just may not sit well with you. To that I say you may want to consider small boxes (ones with 5 or 6 to a box) of a couple of different brands. As I am no expert on bars I can't necessarily vouch for one specific brand, but Nature Valley and Clif seem to get along with me the best.

I recognize this probably isn't the answer you wanted but I wanted to recognize that you are not alone in some fashion.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There's a TON of fiber in a quest bar and that might have caused your problems. If you liked the taste, try eating half of one as a snack during the day and see how it sits. If it's fine, try half after a class. It could be that it didn't sit well right after a hard workout also.

You might be reacting badly to the sugar alcohols in them too.

~Lyssa
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    shnope. I can eat two a day and be fine.
  • Lei9785gha
    Lei9785gha Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love them. No issues ever
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love the mint and chocolate ones, reminds me of girl scout thin mints a bit. no issues.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'll take the ones you don't want lol I love them
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    There's a TON of fiber in a quest bar and that might have caused your problems. If you liked the taste, try eating half of one as a snack during the day and see how it sits. If it's fine, try half after a class. It could be that it didn't sit well right after a hard workout also.

You might be reacting badly to the sugar alcohols in them too.

~Lyssa

The SA quantity in current Quest bars are so low, that I can't see them being an issue for any but the most intolerant people. The 2-4g of erythritol should be a non-issue for most anyone.

However, yeah, the 14-15g of SCF in one shot could definitely cause some upset in anyone who isn't used to a lot of soluble fiber. The easiest thing to do would be start with a half bar at a time, and let ones gut adapt to cope.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you plan to toss them anyway, try making them into cookies and eat 1-2 at a time (1/8-1/4 of the bar).
    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/07/quest-protein-bar-cookies.html?m=1
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I ate one once. It was okay but weird aftertaste.

Tried a second one the next day; I was so bad I through it out.

I don't really enjoy processed food or artificially sweeteners though.