Feeling Nauseous

Options
UltimateTrashBae
UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a creature of habit. I keep myself under my calorie goal by eating the same type of food every single day. Breakfast is yogurt, fruit cup, oatmeal, and sausages. Lunch is a granola bar. Dinner is half a box of hamburger helper. Every day. No exceptions. Until recently. I decided to work a salad into my lunch routine. Lettuce, spinach, grilled chicken, fat free cheese, and fat free ranch. The first couple salads were great! But now they're making me feel sick. Like, not "salad is gross" sick. But an all day nausea that compels me to eat bread in an effort to ease it. Where is this coming from? Why? I just want to enjoy my freaking salad!

Replies

• HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are having trouble digesting raw veggies? How about a cous cous or bulgar wheat salad with cold roasted veg? Tomatoes and peppers are lovely cold after they have been roasted.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    pregnancy?

Other than that i'd go to the doctor. You could have some sort of stomach issue going on (from reflux to h. plylori).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Your old diet was highly processed. It's possible your system needs some time to adjust to the veggies. My advice, skip the fat free cheese and dressing in lieu of the real thing. And work on getting some veggies into your dinner. I'd phase out the hamburger helper (so much sodium!) Pasta and rice are easy to cook, and you can dress them up far tastier and healthier than that weird talking glove can.
  • clags301
    clags301 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A serving of hamburger helper has 190% of my recommended intake of sodium. That would make me nauseous , not the salad! But it might be that the veggies are causing additional bloat as your body gets used to unprocessed foods, which coupled with the water retention you must be experiencing from that much sodium, must make you feel like your going to burst or throw-up.
    I'd re-think the HH, not the salad. Just give your body time to adjust to the fibre.
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You went from high cal, processed, grain food diet to ... salad. My tummy would be out of whack too! ;) I'd try adding more protein and seed/grain to the salad (hard boiled eggs, meat, quinoa, cousin cous, sunflower seeds) and see how that feels.

You can try drinking lemon ginger tea during the day too, that helps with nausea. Good luck xo
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking it's the FF Ranch. The few times I have tried to eat it, it literally makes me nauseous. I use Wishbone Light Ranch and I don't have that feeling anymore. Try to switch that and let me know :)
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hamburger helper? Thats ..gross. It taste cheap.. Your body isnt use to "healthy" options. Consider it a detox of sorts even though it is only replacing lunch. It will take several weeks for your body to adjust.

When you start a pet on a new diet, the vet recommends mixing the old food in with the new for the first few weeks and slowly adjusting to the new pet food because it will cause a pet to vomit or have runny stools from a sudden change.

Humans are no different. If you are use to eating one way, ANY change, even if its for the better, will be met with resistance from your system.

Really?? Hamburger helper? I refused to touch that vile poison as a kid. My kids wont touch it. I made it a few times when broke when they were younger. They went to bed hungry and so did I. We preferred starvation. You can make your own and make it way more healthy and it will taste better too.

Like pasta? Try lemon chicken pasta. Its real easy to make.

1. Cut up a chicken breast and cook it in a pan with lemon pepper. When it is done..
    2. Boil Barilla bow tie pasta until it is done. Drain.
    3. Zest a lemon (I use the zesting part of a cheese grater) and squeeze the juice into the pasta. 4. Add the zest and the chicken to the pasta.
    Stir and done! YUMMY!

total calories for entire box of bow ties/ lemon/ lemon pepper/ and 1 breast?
    Bowties -200kCal per serving (6 servings)
    Breast -110kcal per serving (3 servings)
    Lemon -17kcal in whole lemon
    Lemon pepper 1tbs servings 0kcal

1547kcal Split how you want..
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am thinking also it's the FF dressing and/or cheese. They might contain some kind of funky ingredient.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit. I keep myself under my calorie goal by eating the same type of food every single day. Breakfast is yogurt, fruit cup, oatmeal, and sausages. Lunch is a granola bar. Dinner is half a box of hamburger helper. Every day. No exceptions. Until recently. I decided to work a salad into my lunch routine. Lettuce, spinach, grilled chicken, fat free cheese, and fat free ranch. The first couple salads were great! But now they're making me feel sick. Like, not "salad is gross" sick. But an all day nausea that compels me to eat bread in an effort to ease it. Where is this coming from? Why? I just want to enjoy my freaking salad!

Maybe you can just make room in your calories for a reasonable serving of bread (one slice?) and still enjoy your salad if you like it!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, how many days has it been making you feel nauseous?

It may very well be the fat free dressing, sometimes alternative emulsifiers and sweeteners can affect you ummm... digestively LOL. Try switching out the dressing to a low or regular fat one and see if it helps. The negative of eating the same thing every day is that if you have a slight sensitivity to something you're eating it has a better chance of the effects building up over time.

Eating raw veggies when you aren't used to them I think would make you gassy or bloated, not nauseous. And I don't know why people need to be judgemental about what other people eat. There's just no reason for that.

If switching dressings doesn't work, I agree you might want to see a doctor. Digestive issues can develop at any time, it doesn't even necessarily have to have anything to do with your diet. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon :drinker:
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    Options
    what exactly is hamburger helper? don't have that here
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's a boxed mix of dry pasta and spices that you add to ground beef and cook in a fry pan.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Hamburger helper? Thats ..gross. It taste cheap.. Your body isnt use to "healthy" options. Consider it a detox of sorts even though it is only replacing lunch. It will take several weeks for your body to adjust.

When you start a pet on a new diet, the vet recommends mixing the old food in with the new for the first few weeks and slowly adjusting to the new pet food because it will cause a pet to vomit or have runny stools from a sudden change.

Humans are no different. If you are use to eating one way, ANY change, even if its for the better, will be met with resistance from your system.

Really?? Hamburger helper? I refused to touch that vile poison as a kid. My kids wont touch it. I made it a few times when broke when they were younger. They went to bed hungry and so did I. We preferred starvation. You can make your own and make it way more healthy and it will taste better too.

1. Cut up a chicken breast and cook it in a pan with lemon pepper. When it is done..
    2. Boil Barilla bow tie pasta until it is done. Drain.
    3. Zest a lemon (I use the zesting part of a cheese grater) and squeeze the juice into the pasta. 4. Add the zest and the chicken to the pasta.
    Stir and done! YUMMY!

total calories for entire box of bow ties/ lemon/ lemon pepper/ and 1 breast?
    Bowties -200kCal per serving (6 servings)
    Breast -110kcal per serving (3 servings)
    Lemon -17kcal in whole lemon
    Lemon pepper 1tbs servings 0kcal

1547kcal Split how you want..

That's a bit much. SMH :noway:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating Hamburger helper if you like it. I think it is gross, but that's my opinion. I think I would try the salad with regular dressing. Fat free dressings taste weird to me and do make me feel nauseated. My husband has IBS, and certain vegetables mess with his stomach so it could be the salad. But I would stop using the fat free dressing and try something else first. If you still feel the same then start eliminating the salad ingredients until you figure it out.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Are you using pre-packaged salad lettuce that doesn't require rinsing? I've heard that can affect some ppl & their digestive system due to what they treat it w/ to keep it fresh. I can certainly tell the difference in taste vs fresh produce. I buy the packaged mixed lettuces & rinse them before I consume even if they are "pre-rinsed".

But yeah, you are not doing your belly any favors with such a dramatic switch of foods.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

You are fortunate!
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest just crumbling a few crackers on your salad to absorb the dressing and water from the veggies that's swishing around in your stomach,i know that feeling,I get it sometimes myself.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the fat free dressing too. I don't know what the ingredients are but my experience with foods here in the UK is that fat free things often contain stuff like sweeteners etc (to cover the gross taste) and a lot of people find it gives them gut issues.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes delicious? So that would be why I eat it?
    That sounds very extreme.
    It doesn't sound any easier than HH and it takes more than one pan. Which means more dishes for me and I get... a dish without cheese that is going to end up being 73.5 MORE calories than I consume out of my single pot and spoon. Which I actually find quite delicious.
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, how many days has it been making you feel nauseous?

...Try switching out the dressing to a low or regular fat one and see if it helps.
    Thank you! My husband had a feeling that it might be the fat-free stuff. He pointed out the fact that I got really sick after eating fat-free cream cheese. So I picked out a different dressing and I'll see how that feels.
    Are you using pre-packaged salad lettuce that doesn't require rinsing?
    But yeah, you are not doing your belly any favors with such a dramatic switch of foods.
    Well, it can't hurt to rinse my leafs! I'll be sure to do that. And, does adding a salad really count as a switch? Like, it's not like I stopped eating my usual stuff. And I don't feel this way when I eat other different foods. (It's happened on occasion. Eating at my mom's or whatever).

Thanks for all your advice!