Does it have to hurt later for it to be working?

Options
Hi there. I'm Elle, and I'm trying to shed a few pounds through diet and mostly exercise. I'm losing weight successfully, but I don't feel like I'm getting toned at all.
My question: If a workout doesn't make me sore later on, does that mean I didn't work out hard enough?
I mostly run on the elliptical trainer (usually about 30 minutes at a time) and I always sweat like crazy and my legs ache by the end, but they just don't have that "I worked out earlier" feeling later on and I'm not sure why.
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new to this and have no idea what I'm doing.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't have to hurt later.

But I'd suggest that 30 min/day (?) on the elliptical isn't much exercise and if you want to see more results, you might include some other things in your plan.

If you're at a gym, you might try rowing as well. Start with about 10 min at a time, and gradually build up.

Maybe take a spinning class once a week.

Consider doing some weights.

If you gradually build up doing those things, you shouldn't experience much in the way of DOMS.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If your body is used to the workout then no, it wont hurt later on in the day. I find its only when I try something new now that happens. Or when it comes to strength training, if I've done a few more reps or increased the weights then I can expect some DOMS but nothing like in the beginning. It doesn't mean we haven't worked our muscles enough, it mostly means we are getting fitter.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It sounds like your doing mostly cardio. Cardio is to lose fat. If you add in strength training like weights, the skin will get tighter. However, this isn't a over night thing. It take a while.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your doing mostly cardio. Cardio is to lose fat. If you add in strength training like weights, the skin will get tighter. However, this isn't a over night thing. It take a while.

Cardio is for your cardiovascular system (heart, lungs, etc) not to lose fat.

Eating in a deficit is to lose fat. One can do all the cardio in the world, but if one doesn't eat in a deficit, no fat will be lost.

OP, if you want to retain muscle (some people think of this as toning), you need to incorporate some resistance training. Otherwise you will be actually losing muscle along with the fat. Yes weight will go down, but the composition of your body will not improve.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    ekritter7 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm Elle, and I'm trying to shed a few pounds through diet and mostly exercise. I'm losing weight successfully, but I don't feel like I'm getting toned at all.
    My question: If a workout doesn't make me sore later on, does that mean I didn't work out hard enough?
    I mostly run on the elliptical trainer (usually about 30 minutes at a time) and I always sweat like crazy and my legs ache by the end, but they just don't have that "I worked out earlier" feeling later on and I'm not sure why.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new to this and have no idea what I'm doing.
    It hurt at the time because of fatigue. But cardio, once you're used to it, doesn't really cause much DOMS because the resistance usually isn't progressive if you're losing weight. As you lose weight, you're reducing the amount of resistance for work.
    You want to make it harder? Increase the resistance level on the elliptical. Most people I see doing the elliptical put it on level 1-5. Try like 8 or 10.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns calories. The fitness industry has misinformed the public about how cardio actually works (along with other BS). Cardio burns more calories than weight lifting for the same duration and intensity along without requiring much training which is why many people default to it. Creating a higher deficit for many is how they lose weight and just adding cardio for many helped them do that, so the THOUGHT is that this is why cardio "burns" fat.
    You actually burn the most fat by percentage at rest which is why it's important.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png