Recomping and effects on weight?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
edited February 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi everyone. I just got back to my goal range for maintenance. (I hit it in March but was bouncing around 1-5 lbs above goal range for about 7 months; now I'm back solidly in range and hoping to stay there!)

I'm thinking about signing up for a DietBet maintainer challenge for added accountability. I'm hoping to shift to recomp though (seems to make the most sense at this point for my skinny-fat-prone body type).

For those of you who have done a recomp, how did it affect your weight? I know the idea is to maintain weight but I'm wondering if it's best to allow some buffer. With the DietBet, I could gain up to 2% of my starting weight so not much wiggle room. For reference, I'm 5'7" and 131 lbs.

I don't care as much about the number on the scale as strength, fitness and measurements. However, I've done so much yoyo'ing that I thought the Maintainer challenge might be helpful for accountability and added motivation over the next 12 months. I'm just not sure if that would be a poor choice for someone who's trying to recomp rather than just maintain. Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat#latest

If you haven't already, read this. It's really helpful and some of the discussion might be able to help answer your questions.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I went 10 lbs below my goal weight as a buffer before starting on maintenance. I figured I'd fluctuate +5 lbs and I was right. As soon as I increased calories I jumped up a few pounds then down again. I hover around 6-8lbs below my goal weight now. But I see that bounce around a lot. I've been pretty happy with it though, as long as I can stay at or below my original goal weight I'm happy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'm fully understanding you but will give it a go! :smile:

Back to basics so you know where I'm coming from....
    Your weight gain/loss/maintenance is down to your long term calorie balance.
    So if you are changing your exercise routine more towards weight training then that will have an impact on the calories out side of the equation. (Strength training is a low calorie burner compared to cardio.)
    An example of impact on calorie balance would be that in summer I prioritise cycling over weights and burn far more calories - so in winter when my priority shifts towards strength training my choice is eat less to maintain or see my weight go up steadily.

Question for you - is your "shift to recomp" a change in your exercise routine? And is that an addition or a substitution?

My personal experience of recomp is that I actually decided I wanted to increase my weight after recomping, I don't aspire to a very low body fat and actually feel more energetic at a level a bit higher than youngsters seem to want to achieve. As my goals are strength/performance/health rather than aesthetics staying lean but feeling under fuelled wasn't sensible. That was a deliberate and conscious choice though and probably a bit contrary compared to most people. My maintenance weight is now 7lbs higher but I look to be the same BF%.

If your question is does having swapped some fat for some muscle from recomping change your calorie balance then yes it does - but not a lot. There's little difference in metabolic cost per pound of muscle or fat but you could argue that you can expend more energy when exercising. Very marginal really, especially compared to activity and exercise lifestyle.

Seems very conflicting to say that you don't care about the number on the scale and then intend signing up for a weight maintenance challenge. Guess it's a way of making yourself care!?
    But recomp is most commonly losing fat/gaining muscle whilst maintaining weight so that part is complimentary to your challenge.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Thank you, @sijomial! I appreciate that. And my apologies for being confusing.

"Shifting to recomp" is because I recently lost 5 lbs I'd gained to get back into maintenance mode. I'm at that point where I still want to lose some fat but I know if I keep cutting, I'll end up too thin in places, so recomp seems to make more sense.

I'd been doing *some* strength training. Recently I had to go back to my physical therapy routine to rebuild my strength. Next week I plan to re-start You Are Your Own Gym.

I guess my question about how much wiggle room to allow is because I've seen pictures of "recompers" post pics where they were actually a little heavier than in a previous pic, but had definitely lost fat and gained muscle and looked amazing. I've also read if you start strength training, the scale can jump up a bit initially.

Re your last para I see how that seems conflicting. :) I guess what i meant is, I don't want to yoyo anymore because I've done way too much of that in my adult life. However, if I were to end up gaining some weight because I'd actually gained some muscle, I'd be OK with that. I ended up deciding not to sign up for the maintenance challenge but I do intend to log for at least a few more months to make sure I stay on track, and pay attention to clothing fit and measurements, not just the scale.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    In retrospect, perhaps I should have just asked "how big of a goal range would you recommend for recomp?" ;) (Mine is theoretically 3 lbs.)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I hit the top of my maintenance range in Sept. I allow a 5 lb range. So far I've been in the mid to upper half of my range. When I get to the top, I tighten up the eating a bit. Even if I gain a little muscle mass, I want to offset it through fat loss. So far it is working. My clothes are looser & my hips are slimming down. My legs and arms/shoulders seem to look more defined & I'm definitely lifting more.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I recomped at 133. Stayed right around there for 3-4 months. I really wouldn't be signing up for diet bet if that was my goal, but it's possible to stay within a pretty tight range, yes.