Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Alcohol

Replies

• violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    I drink champagne on the weekend and work into my calories. If I'm going to drink anything, I want it to be something I really enjoy.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Every time I see the title of this thread, all I think is "yes, please".
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Ha that chart is amazing, I pinned it. Though the beer section is a big old "never mind" for me.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    If you like beer (it's my drink of choice) I drink Michelob Ultra - 95 calories per can/bottle. I stopped drinking Monday-Thursday and only have 2 on Friday night and depending on my plans for Saturday and Sunday, I'll splurge then.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    I have just found a wine that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. You might know when I googled that type of wine it had more calories than any other. My plan is to save calories every now and then and enjoy a small glass.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Light beer for me only on weekends.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Try to stick to drinks with less sugary mixers and be aware of portion sizes. Wine is pretty standard in calories and most restaurants will tell you how many ounces they pour. I sometimes drink mixed drinks and find many restaurants have calorie counts now. I like the Skinny Margarita from Yard House. You can also ask the bartender to make a custom drink like OJ or Pineapple juice and Vodka or Tequila. Just learn how many ounces are in your cup.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    My hiusband is a wne buff; my calories counts definitely include wine, and also G&T and occasionaly other mixed drinks. Come to think of it, the only alcohol I don't log is communion wine! (I am a priest so this is probably something I should think about...)
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    I was killing my waistline by overindulging with wine every night. I found that I liked the taste and it went down so smooth it was hard to limit it to something manageable. I cut it out completely and not just drink Michelin ultra with lime and generally limit that to 2 beers each day and this has made a big difference for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,613 Member
    I drank alcohol occasionally all through weight loss, and do so now a little more often (but still generally moderately) in maintenance (bigger calorie allowance lets it fit in a little more often, while still hitting nutritional goals).

Other than the risk of lowered inhibitions (so risk of eating indulgently over calorie goal), I haven't seen any difference in my weight management when I'm drinking alcohol moderately, or not drinking it at all, as long as I account for the calories. (By preference, I don't let it make a big dent in my nutrition.)

I think light beer is generally execrable, not worth its meager calories - as the Monty Python movie said, "like making love in a canoe" - so I avoid it. I do drink higher-calorie cocktails (pina colada, say) or sweet liquers less often than I did when fat, but they were always pretty rare. Spirits with sparkling water and citrus or bitters, craft beer (usually IPAs), or wine, would be my preference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,885 Member
    I gave up alcohol in my late 20's. Mostly because I had 2 friends die in alcohol-related accidents. And most of the people I knew drank to have fun. I don't need to drink to have fun.
    Also alcohol CANNOT be stored by the body. It has to be totally metabolized. And so during this process, the body doesn't burn any other energy. That means carbs and fats aren't used for energy till alcohol is all metabolized out of the system. I'd rather drink a diet soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    I do a chocolate whey smoothie with kahlua.
    So... that would be... bad?
  • 89oxygen89
    89oxygen89 Posts: 2 Member
    If you don't drink to much that you should not have any worries. Everything has calories. The most important is to know your norm.
  • 89oxygen89
    89oxygen89 Posts: 2 Member
    I don’t see anything bad if you’ll drink some alcohol on weekends. It helps you to relax, especially after hard work day. I like to go out with my friends on weekends and to drink one or two glasses of good red wine or martini. If you go in the gym at least 3 times in a week then no worries at all. The most important is to know your norm. Of course, I’ll not recommend it those who have problems with alcohol. One of my relatives had alcohol addiction for many years. One day I found out about Promis rehab centre and it was taken decision to send him there. After some time of treatment, he returned absolutely different and today he enjoys normal life. Question about alcohol is individual for everyone.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 443 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Alcohol has calories, but it's all pretty standard. I have a couple of drinks a week, but that's about all I can do. they're empty (sugar) calories, plus when you're drinking you're much more likely to eat crap food.

Generally: mkperfvfty6r.jpg

Loving the fact that champagne is the healthiest of all of these. Knew I had good taste!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I gave up alcohol in my late 20's. Mostly because I had 2 friends die in alcohol-related accidents. And most of the people I knew drank to have fun. I don't need to drink to have fun.
    Also alcohol CANNOT be stored by the body. It has to be totally metabolized. And so during this process, the body doesn't burn any other energy. That means carbs and fats aren't used for energy till alcohol is all metabolized out of the system. I'd rather drink a diet soda.

Respect. My body has never been or never will be alcohol adapted.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    89oxygen89 wrote: »
    I don’t see anything bad if you’ll drink some alcohol on weekends. It helps you to relax, especially after hard work day. I like to go out with my friends on weekends and to drink one or two glasses of good red wine or martini. If you go in the gym at least 3 times in a week then no worries at all. The most important is to know your norm. Of course, I’ll not recommend it those who have problems with alcohol. One of my relatives had alcohol addiction for many years. One day I found out about Promis rehab centre and it was taken decision to send him there. After some time of treatment, he returned absolutely different and today he enjoys normal life. Question about alcohol is individual for everyone.

The bolded above is probably a very safe thing for you to say. It is, unfortunately, not for so many people. They use relaxation and unwinding as an excuse to drink more than they should. I had a hard day - I should get a drink.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    89oxygen89 wrote: »

The bolded above is probably a very safe thing for you to say. It is, unfortunately, not for so many people. They use relaxation and unwinding as an excuse to drink more than they should. I had a hard day - I should get a drink.

Not to be a buzzkill here, and full disclosure I do enjoy all manner of adult beverages on weekends, but the IDEA of alcohol may be more relaxing than the substance itself. I do feel less inhibited for a short time initially, but I also observe a connection between how much I drink and how anxious I feel the next day. So the "I had a hard day - I deserve a drink" rationale should be more like "I had a hard day - I shouldn't compound my trouble." That said, I'm fine when I stop after 2 drinks. Hence, there's not so much a problem with "a drink" but with the internal argument about "just one more."