Talking one self through a plateau.

Options
As the title says, what do you tell yourself to get through the rough says of a plateau.
I currently am on my 2nd plateau since I began my journey in November. The first time I quickly became insecure and was having major doubts. This time around its different. I know I have the willpower to get through and am doing more then before. I just keep telling myself "its just a plateau, your body will adjust and start up again".
We all have our insecurities and private issues but to anyone else out there on their first plateau or 5th. Stick to your diet and exercise plan. Eventually if you are true to your logging you will break through

Replies

• YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I just try hard to trust the process. And this can be particularly hard if you are on a prolonged plateau. But the alternative is to throw in the towel and end up heavier than you were before!

It's a no-brainer when you stop and think about it.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I plateau quite a bit. Like you, I know I am doing the right thing by my body and for my health. I also tell myself I don't want to go back, so moving forward is the only option. Depending on how long my plateau lasts I change things up a bit and that normally works for me. You have a wonderful attitude!
  • mom2tris2013
    mom2tris2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a plateau. Lasted over a month. And I figured I'm taking in too much so I started logging what was going in and I started to lose the weight. It deff helps if you track what u eat. If weight loss is your goal.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs last year and gained some back over the holidays and trying to get back to my maintenance weight. I'm in a big plateau right now and lost 2 lbs in Jan despite exercising and tracking in MFP. However, I am feeling more toned (did a 31 day yoga challenge in Jan) and pants aren't as snug. Even though the scale isn't moving I am feeling good. I am also dealing with perimenopause and wonky hormones so keep that in mind with hormones. As women, our bodies fluctuate up and down due to hormones so hang in there. I am changing up my workouts with more strength training/yoga to give my metabolism a boost.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I try not to call it a plateau and fix the problem, which is logging better and eating less. Actually, I don't do those things. I just whine about being fat forever.
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    All good ways to look at it and work through it. Sometimes small changes are all that is needed to get everything moving again. If you are struggling the first thing to do is relax and don't fret. And always don't be afraid to seek help and question others.

I am hoping this post helps someone else to get through the rough days and stay strong.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been on a short plateau- a week. I've eaten over a few days. At my short height I don't get much slack on over eating. My maintenance calories are only 150 more than weight loss. So, I remind myself plateaus are better than gaining, the food was yummy, and I'll need to cut back 100 calories daily for a couple of weeks, after the Super Bowl party!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I try not to call it a plateau and fix the problem, which is logging better and eating less. Actually, I don't do those things. I just whine about being fat forever.

This is pretty much me.

I've never had a "true" plateau but my weight has been bouncing around the same number for three weeks because my logging has been lazy, I've gone over quite a few days, and I haven't been drinking water like I should and eating tons of salt so most likely retaining water on top of everything else.

I've had my pity party now I plan to tighten up.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

This is pretty much me.

I've never had a "true" plateau but my weight has been bouncing around the same number for three weeks because my logging has been lazy, I've gone over quite a few days, and I haven't been drinking water like I should and eating tons of salt so most likely retaining water on top of everything else.

I've had my pity party now I plan to tighten up.

I've had a pity party since July. And I've done nothing but gain. Now I THINK I'm in a deficit and still not losing. But I'm starving. So I'll just keep whining.