Loosing weight but no inches yet. Does that mean it was just all water weight?

Options
I have been exercising 5 days a week and im at a 1200 calorie daily goal. I am 5'2(and a half, it counts lol) and now at 170 pounds. I started at 181. I have only lost 1 inch so far but nothing other than that. Does that mean that i have been working my *kitten* off and only loosing water weight? Because if so than that discourages me so much. Anyone have advise or maybe going through the same thing

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Over what period of time? Are you using a food scale?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Change doesn't happen over night. It takes a while for the body to catch up. Try measuring once a month. Also progress pictures every month help you visualize the changes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, that is not what it means. After all, water takes up space too.

And since when does 1 inch = no inches?
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well it's been about a month without MFP but with MFP it's been 11 days . I feel like i don't see a difference either.
  • jemhh
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You're not going to see a difference yet. Be patient.

Maybe read this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10511334/when-did-you-start-to-see-a-change#latest
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're probably losing from areas you're not measuring. I'm a lot larger than you but it took me a HUGE amount of loss to even see ANY difference in measurements and even then it was a minuscule amount. I would be thrilled with a 1 inch loss!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You're not going to see a difference yet. Be patient.

This. 11 days of calorie counting/food tracking is generally not enough time to see any noticeable difference in your body and for most, it's barely enough time to record a meaningful loss on the scale.

If you're still not seeing any appreciable weight loss or change in your measurements after 5-6 weeks of tracking, it'd be a good idea to reassess the accuracy of your food logging. But for now, have patience and stay the course.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    Thanks, that does help. I guess it's just frustrating looking at the scale but not seeing the results in the mirror.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is there anywhere you can do a full body scan? A spa in my area does these. I found that I had been losing weight slowly but also losing muscle mass... Don't forget to protein up!
  • jemhh
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    Thanks, that does help. I guess it's just frustrating looking at the scale but not seeing the results in the mirror.

Where all are you taking body measurements? Something I didn't really think about when I first started losing weight is that I would lose weight from places that I didn't see or think about very often. I would suggest tracking these measurements:

- neck
    - shoulder (circumference)
    - upper arm
    - forearm
    - wrist
    - chest (across middle of bra)
    - chest @ bra band line
    - waist at narrowest point
    - waist across navel
    - hips around biggest part of butt
    - thigh
    - calf
    - ankle

If you track all of those, you will find yourself losing in spots that surprise you. The neck is the one that really surprised me. I had the same neck measurement for several months and then suddenly lost a half inch from it when I really didn't expect to lose anything else from there.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    No , i have been measuring my waist, hips, and arms.
  • martinwilson1966
    Options
    I seem to be losing my weight on the legs mainly. My main exercise is an exercise bike although I also have some kettlebells for improving my arm strength. If it carries on this way I'll look like an osterich. I've lost 20.5kg so far but sadly have another 65kg to go. My trousers are a little looser around the waist but not much but my legs seem to have so much more space in my trousers now.

I've got a heart issue though and obviously I want it to start going from my stomach first.

I look at my 2 8kg kettlebells and think that I've actually lost more weight than those combined and yet it will be about 11 kettlebellls in total before I reach my intended weight of 100kg.