Morningstar Farms Products

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sp1219 wrote: »
    What whole foods with protein do you like? Beans, nuts, quinoa all have protein, as do eggs & dairy (if you're not vegan). These items can be cooked in so many different flavorful ways. Morningstar products are loaded with sodium and scary-looking ingredients.

High in sodium for sure, but I eat a lot of sodium as I exercise a lot so it's kind of a wash. As for the ingredients, they are only scary if you don't know what you are looking at...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Morningstar is ok. Everything they have that tries to be fake meat has a weird flavor to it. It's not terrible though.
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I love almost all Morningstar foods. I'll be having the chik'n strips for dinner tonight :-) I also like gardein foods as it makes me feel like I'm having a complete meal vs a bunch of sides.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veg, but I do buy their products pretty regularly. I like the spicy black bean burgers (topped with a slice of cheddar and an over easy egg is my go-to), the Mediterranean chickpea burgers and the maple sausage patties. The corn dogs are pretty good, too, so sayeth my 11 year old.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Morningstar used to make my favorite thing ever the Baha blackbean pizza. I'm not a vegetarian but I was hooked on those and sad that they've apparently discontinued it. :(
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    An adult and a picky eater? Funny.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I really like them. The chipotle black bean burgers are my favorite. They're the only brand of these type of products that I actually like and purchase.
    hapa11 wrote: »
    We are not vegetarian but love their products, especially the breakfast sausage patties and Buffalo wings. The Buffalo wings are great in salads.

I'm not being snarky, just genuinely curious...if you are not vegetarian, why do you choose to eat these products instead of meat?

I tried the Morningstar corn dogs one night after going out to the bar with a vegetarian friend. They're pretty good! I think they taste better than most corn dogs I've purchased that are supposedly made of meat. I had another friend who would make really good tacos out of the veggie crumbles, which I have replicated when cooking for vegetarians. Once you cook the hell out of ground beef to make taco meat, you really can't tell a whole lot of difference.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I really like them. The chipotle black bean burgers are my favorite. They're the only brand of these type of products that I actually like and purchase.
    We are not vegetarian but love their products, especially the breakfast sausage patties and Buffalo wings. The Buffalo wings are great in salads.

I'm not being snarky, just genuinely curious...if you are not vegetarian, why do you choose to eat these products instead of meat?

I feel like black beans are a food everyone could potentially enjoy. They're not just for vegetarians. Even before I was vegan, I really enjoyed black bean burgers.

I understand the black bean burgers...they taste very different from hamburgers, so I get why someone would enjoy both. I guess I was more asking about the substitute chicken wings/sausage patties/ground beef. These seem to more want to mimic actual meat. I was just wondering if there was another benefit that made meat eaters prefer these products.

I pretty much just eat the blackbean burgers - although I have had the chickn patties too. I don't eat the other products - I don't really like chickem wings, I'm picky about sausage and I like real beef! So just selective products for me because they taste good and are quick and easy to prepare when I don't want to spend a lot of time making a big meal. Plus the calories on them are a lot better than a normal frozen burger patty.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but my husband is. When we can afford them we eat Morningstar Farms stuff. I love their "bacon". It's not bacon, but I grew up on it* and it's good.

I also love their vegetable patties. Burger King uses them on the BK Veggie burger, and if you can find a Subway that offers the Veggie Max sandwich that's Morningstar Farms as well.

* technically I grew up on Stripples, a very similar product marketed for Seventh-day Adventists and not well known outside that community. I am a big fan of most of the veggie meats popular with the SDA community, despite being a meat eater.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Uhm, holy crap. The Griller's Prime though. If you're a meat lover looking for a vegatarian option, GRILLERS PRIME. I'm not even remotely vegetarian and I buy these every time I go to the grocery store just because they taste so cotdam good.

Once more: Griller's Prime, by Morningstar.

Just in case you haven't heard: Griller's Prime.

• newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Not really sure why this is funny, I have been this way all my life. I had a bad encounter with something when I was a small child and became very sick. After that experience I was very selective in what I ate and I still am.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Due to food sensitivities (celiac disease and soy intolerance), I can't eat most commercially available meat substitutes. The only one I can eat is Beyond Meat's beefy crumbles. They are seriously yummy.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I'll eat vegetarian patties and such from time to time for a nice change of pace.

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried MorningStar, but I will sing praises of the Sweet Earth products. Their breakfast burritos are so delicious! They also have a tasty pizza Mac and cheese. They have a lot of really great vegetarian/vegan products, but they can be hard to find.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »

Not really sure why this is funny, I have been this way all my life. I had a bad encounter with something when I was a small child and became very sick. After that experience I was very selective in what I ate and I still am.

I don't think it's humorous, either. What's funny about dislike of certain flavors and textures, and a gravitation toward others?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    I don't eat many Morningstar Farms foods because of the soy protein but I really like the chickpea burger thingy they have.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Due to food sensitivities (celiac disease and soy intolerance), I can't eat most commercially available meat substitutes. The only one I can eat is Beyond Meat's beefy crumbles. They are seriously yummy.

I didn't read this part. I'm really sorry that you're having to deal with that. Sweet Earth uses seitan (wheat product) and tofu. So, that's definitely out of the question.

So, maybe things like Greek yogurt, legumes, quinoa, and those types of protein would be beneficial? Oh...and lentils. I love lentils, and they are great for protein.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Non-vegetarian here also: I've come to like veggie burgers, too; I haven't tried Moringstar, but Dr. Praeger often finds its way into my shopping basket (I just finished off a Dr. Praeger black bean burger). Here's some ingredient and nutrition info on their California veggie burger:

drpraegers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/GLVBIN4_SPEC_SHEET.pdf

Low sodium, which counts with me; protein and fiber fair. Taste mild but pleasant. Ingredient list pretty simple. It'll do.

For me, why vegetarian sometimes when I'm not: I like variety: for example, I went pretty heavy on beef this week, having overloaded my freezer and wanting to clear out without throwing out. So yesterday and today, I felt I needed some relief. No meat at all: sweet potato and brussels sprouts based salad for lunch. Veggie burger for dinner, yogurt mixed with nutella for dessert. Lots of water.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Not sure why this is odd. Before I was diagnosed with celiac I preferred the texture of morningstar breakfast links over pork, and am very sad I can't have them any more.
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I feel like black beans are a food everyone could potentially enjoy. They're not just for vegetarians. Even before I was vegan, I really enjoyed black bean burgers.

Years ago a vegetarian friend had me over for dinner. I found the morning star chik nuggets were great, and will get them from time to time. If you ever see them the "riblets" are to die for. a better mcRib than mcdonalds.