High protein help, no protein powder!

Options
Okay, so I'm lifting heavy and I'm trying to get enough protein in my diet. My goal would be around 120 grams per day, give or take. That's just my personal goal based on my lean body mass being around 120 lbs and wanting at least one gram per lb of lean body mass. I realize this is an arbitrary number, but based on a bunch of reading I've done this seems like a good number to me. I'm trying to lose about 20-30lbs at a rate of half a lb to a lb a week.

I try to eat in a way that is sustainable if I don't end up tracking forever. So, I'm eating meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts, whole grains, and greek yogurt, cheese, milk. Basically, nutrient dense foods. No special diet here, I've just made a decision that I will live a lot longer and have a better life if I give my body proper nutrition (with the occasional treat of course)

The problem I'm having is, I'm not meeting my protein goals. I'm getting about 90-100 grams a day, but only if I work at it.

Although I've drank a tonne of protein powder in my lifetime, I just can't do it anymore. It gives me bloating, and inhibits a certain bodily function I'm pretty fond of doing. It also gives me gas. And it uses up calories I want to chew. I find I'm just not satisfied when I drink my calories. And right now I'm eating 1250 before exercise calories, so I really want to chew my calories. Once I meet my goal I'm open to drinking the protein powder again. The vegan stuff seems to cause a little less gas, but it only has about 15-20 grams per scoop, and again, I'd like to chew my food, not drink it.

Protein bars seem to give me the same problem, only worse. But if anyone knows of one that tastes good and doesn't bind a person up I'm all ears.

Also, beans. Ugh, now that makes me bloaty and gassy, and for the small amount of protein I get I feel like I could be eating something higher in protein and lower in calories.

My diary is open. Feel free to have a look. Any suggestions on how to tweak what I'm doing to get more protein in would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

TL;DR - hate protein bars and protein powder...not getting to my protein goal. Any advice appreciated :wink:

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Check what type of protein powder your consuming. As I got older my body began to reject Whey as a protein source. I switched to soy protein and things are running smoothly.
    ....though on Nov 9th I had the 5hour energy with 20grams of whey protein and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. On the plus side I was down 2lbs that week.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I do it without powder. My goal is about 120g. Most days I meet or exceed that. Sometimes the sugars in powders and bars can cause upset stomach. Erythritol s a big culprit for that. I like the Oatmega bars. They don't mess up my stomach. I also eat a lot of lean protein. Eggs, chicken, fish, grass-fed steak, shrimp and even pork. Greek yogurt is a great way to add protein. Also look for protein-added foods. I like Nature's Own wheat + protein bread. I have the Odwalla brand shake with my iced coffee and breakfast. It's really good and doesn't hurt my stomach. Powerful Yogurt makes a good greek yogurt drink that is low in calories and high in protein. Just make sure to balance out your protein with plenty of fiber, water, and leafy-green veggies to keep things moving in the right direction.

I wish you all the best.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Chick peas, eggs, mushrooms, broccoli, chicken, white fish
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Check what type of protein powder your consuming. As I got older my body began to reject Whey as a protein source. I switched to soy protein and things are running smoothly.
    ....though on Nov 9th I had the 5hour energy with 20grams of whey protein and let me tell you it wasn't pretty. On the plus side I was down 2lbs that week.

Woah, thanks for the warning. 2lbs a week is great, but that sounds like one of those cleanses that the FDA bans for a good reason.. :open_mouth:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Do you have P28 bread products where you are? 28g of protein per serving (2 slice bread, 1 bagel, or 1 flatbread).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many cals do you eat? I usually get 100g in 1550 cals without too much trouble?
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    Options
    How many cals do you eat? I usually get 100g in 1550 cals without too much trouble?

I'm eating about 1500 including exercise calories. 1280 if I sit on my butt all day. I can get 100, but that extra 20 I just can't get it in. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Do you have P28 bread products where you are? 28g of protein per serving (2 slice bread, 1 bagel, or 1 flatbread).

No, I've never heard of this product. I live in Canada, so if it's American we'll get it eventually - maybe. I eat a whole grain bread that's about 5g of protein per slice. This P28 sounds amazing. Where do you live?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Could it possibly be the lactose in the whey? If you go with protein isolate it'll have little or no lactose at all. Soy/plant protein powders are the other option. Of course there's just eating a crap load of chicken and turkey or fish. I could not meet my goals without the powder, not without doubling my intake of lean meat anyway.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

No, I've never heard of this product. I live in Canada, so if it's American we'll get it eventually - maybe. I eat a whole grain bread that's about 5g of protein per slice. This P28 sounds amazing. Where do you live?

I can't answer this Q as I live in the US, but most of the larger markets I've been to have some kind of high-protein bread. Also, I have no idea what Greek Yogurt you're eating, but Oiko's Triple Zero Greek Yogurt has 15g of protein.

As for protein bars--I'm not a fan myself, but I swear I'll write sonnets about Quest's Chocolate-Chip Cookie-Dough protein bar.

The Naked juice brand also has protein juices that have about 30g of protein a bottle.

And you can't go wrong with eggs.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I'm in the US, but they do apparently have it in Canada. It's definitely more expensive than regular bread, but the slices are big. It's a little denser and chewier than regular bread. The protein comes from whey protein isolate and wheat protein isolate, not sure if that would bother your stomach. We tried it on a whim and ended up really liking it.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating all the right stuff, you might just need to tweak a little to find foods that have higher protein ratios for your calories. Maybe egg whites with your whole eggs or use plain greek yogurt and add your own fruit & sweeteners to have higher protein to calorie ratio than premixed yogurts. I found an edamame spagetti at costco that has over 20g protein per serving. Fairlife milk is filtered to have a higher protein, lower carb content. Look for reduced fat cheeses to have a higher protein to calorie ration.

Edited to add: Look at some low carb wraps and tortillas like Flatout and Tumaro's. They often have a high protein content.