Upping protein...help!!

I'm currently on a plan to help heal my thyroid so am eating 1950 Cals per day. Once I've made progress with my thyroid I'll focus on reducing calories...as part of my plan I have to eat 30% calories from protein and I'm struggling to hit it every day. Any tips on fitting in extra protein throughout the day? I'm dairy free so most protein drinks are out. I know i eat too many carbs at breakfast so can add some protein in there.

Any meal/snack ideas would be great!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    There are several different types of non-dairy protein powders -- hemp, soy, pea are all options.
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    PB&Me Sugar Free Powdered Peanut Butter blended with a banana, nut milk (I like Almond) and 2 cups of Kale. It tastes great... you really only taste the PB and Banana. Kale has a huge amount of protein and so does broccoli.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Look up -Protein pancakes, so yummy and they can be dairy free. Also homemade protein bars. Get online and search high protein recipes, it doesn't have to be boring. Goodluck
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Snack on boiled eggs, salami sticks, biltong, roasted chickpeas
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Meat is easy to add to any meal and to most dishes... and there are plenty of leaner options if fat/cals are an issue. Also, don't feel forced to have traditional breakfast meals for breakfast, lunch for lunch and dinner for dinner. I've been known to have dinner leftovers for breakfast. Tastes just as good, and is usually easier (for me) to keep my macros in check when I avoid traditional carb-laden breakfasts.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Eggs (6 gr protein for 70 calories); jerky (varies, but Krave has 13 gr protein for 130 calories). Kale has about 3gr of protein per cup, and broccoli about 4 grams in 5 ounces (calorie count of each is pretty low). Most of my additional protein add-ons are dairy based, but as noted above, there are plenty of non-diary protein powder options.
  • Flugelblues
    Flugelblues Posts: 19 Member
    Today I made egg/banana pancakes for breakfast...yummy. And I just roasted chickpeas for snacks later!! Now that I'm trying to hit a protein target I realise how little protein I was eating!!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I'm in the same boat you are. I have a hard time getting enough protein and have to be dairy free. Someone on here a little bit ago suggested ancient naturals chocolate bone broth. I have to admit the thought sounded awful but I was intrigued because I put a small amount of powdered chocolate in my coffee. Coffee and protein at the same time seemed a win win to me. I tried it (with a bit of fear since I tend to be a pretty picky eater) and it was pretty good! So now I add a few grams of the chocolate protein powder to each cup of coffee and it has helped my overall macros. It's a beef broth with chocolate. I got mine from amazon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    146 grams of protein is a lot, and I'm not really sure how that would be necessary/useful - to heal your body you need a good mix of nutrients, not just one - but I've had a peek at your diary, and my suggestion to increase protein intake would be to add some "protein food" to all your breakfasts and snacks. For instance - cheese, meat or fish spread on sandwich for breakfast, a chicken, egg or tuna salad for lunch, nuts or nut butters with fruit for snacks. You will also want to cut down on the sugar - you can't "afford" any biscuits, sugar or jam if you are aiming for 30% protein. Instead, make sure you include some vegetables for all meals and snacks.
  • 4rita
    4rita Posts: 20 Member
    here is a link for 21 vegan protein sources http://www.veggie-quest.com/2016/01/21-vegan-protein-sources/ in addition to all the great suggestions posted here. http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/vegan-sources-of-protein/ as well as https://theconsciouslife.com/foods-high-in-protein.htm and http://www.applegate.com/community/posts/how-to-get-enough-protein-on-a-dairy-free-diet may be of some help. Doing a search for non dairy high protein foods will bring up lots of information too if you are still looking for more help.