21 Day Fix Food Problem

Options
Let me start by saying that all of this overwhelms me. I started 21 Day Fix because I need to have a plan to follow. I need something to tell me exactly what I need to be doing. I can't plan it myself or just do things as I go because I'll overthink it and go crazy.

Now, I did just the workout portion of the program sometime last year due to not being able to afford the food for the meal plan. This didn't work, because not only did I not see any changes, my strength suffered. I had no energy and could not due my job as a horse hoof trimmer due to complete lack of strength.

Right now I want to focus on eating better. So I looked to the fix again to help me out. Problem is, I have very very little money to spend on food. We're talking college kid poor here. Eating ramen noodles for lunch and dinner poor. Still, I'm trying to budget in healthier foods.

I splurged with the credit card yesterday and got some good stuff, and today was my first day doing the meal plan. I feel really unsatisfied and I have a mind-splitting headache.

My breakfast was greek yogurt, blackberries, and oatmeal. Snack was a banana. Another snack of two teaspoons of peanut butter because I was starving, then kale, fresh green beans, and two hard boiled eggs for lunch. If I look at calories, this only leaves me with 249cal left in the day for dinner. Yet by the "Fix" standard, I still needed to eat one container of veggies, one of protein, one of carbs, and the healthy fats/oils.

I'm trying to avoid buying almonds or other sorts of nuts because they are so expensive. I'm also having a hard time filling my protein requirements, again because of expense. My three main sources of protein are eggs, greek yogurt, and canned tuna. I'm trying to add chicken too, but when they only ever want you eating boneless skinless breasts and that's the most expensive thing to buy...it's frustrating.

I've also never been much of a cook, so meal prep is stressful. I CAN cook, it's just not how I was raised. My father and I are both grazers. We just kind of pick something out of the fridge or cupboard and eat it. Actually putting a meal together takes me all day and it stresses me out, no matter how simple.

Do you guys have any advice for things like this? Cheaper alternatives? Should I just do calorie counting and forego the Fix, or vice versa? Is there a better plan out there? Should I not worry as much about counting and just eat better foods? I really am at a loss. I want this to be the time I stick with it, but eating this way for long periods of time just seems so unrealistic that I feel I'm bound to fall off the wagon.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MFP will give you a calorie and macro goals for free.

Great less expensive protein sources are eggs, greek yogurt, whole chickens or chicken pieces, lentils, and tuna.

Not necessarily protein sources, but you can stock up on store brand frozen veggies, bulk grains, canned beans, in season fruits & veggies.

I like the 21 Day Fix workouts, but all the BB diet plans are unnecessarily complicated and low cal. If it's too much of a struggle, you won't stick with it, so do yourself a favor and don't force yourself to struggle :) Good luck!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't need to waste your hard earned money on these products.. Losing weight is a simple combination of eating a variety of foods, and exercise if required. I do a weekly shop for myself for £35, and there is more than enough macro nutrients in that budget to fulfill a good diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the top of your food wish list is nutritious, cheap and easy. That shouldn't be a problem, but then you have to forgo the "fix". You'll have to set up your own plan, one that is in line with your needs. It's not that difficult. Fill your pantry and fridge and freezer with a range of simple, cheap single foods that are versatile - easy to cook and combine or even eat separately. (Don't buy more perishables (fruit, vegs, fresh meat/fish) than you can eat within a week or so.) Then eat before you are starving - you should ideally be peckish. If you want to, you can train yourself to eat regular meals, and meals can be really simple, for instance, a good dinner can be any combo of starch+meat+vegs, but you don't have to if picking works.

You'll be using some of the techniques from the fix, but you're choosing your own food and putting your menu together yourself. Pick a variety of foods from each food group every day:
    Fruit (including berries, and frozen, but not dried)
    Vegetables - non-starchy
    Grains/starchy vegetables
    Nuts and seeds
    Dairy
    Fats
    Meat, fish, eggs, beans
    You can choose whatever is available and cheap, as long as you get in something from each group every day, and don't eat the same foods all the time.
    If you do this, and eat the right amount of calories for your needs, you'll be eating well. Track your intake for a few weeks to see how to eat to hit your calories and macros, and maybe you can start to just wing it (and keep eating well).
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First, if you're on a Ramen budget and looking to add alternate protein sources to your diet, I want to point out that the dollar store by me has individual tilapia and salmon fillets in 4oz sizes in the frozen section. And while these are not gourmet quality they are passable, and conveniently the size is 1 typical serving so no measuring. I've not cooked a lot of fish and wanted an inexpensive way to practice so I have tried it. I still need more practice. Also their canned chicken is passable, I was curious. So, if there is one near you, see what they have. ( I don't work for any dollar store or grocery store)

Second , I don't know anything about the 21 day fix, but I would suggest checking to see if there is a list of foods that can be substituted for others. That might give you some more budget friendly ideas.

hope these suggestions help.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just count calories - it's free, and it's really not that hard. Eat what you can afford, and just stick to the portion sizes for the amount of calories you need to eat to lose weight.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should work with foods within your budget (you can't keep putting food on credit cards.....) and just track the calories. Then make modifications to get the calories where they need to be. Maybe that would be eating a half pack of ramen rather than the whole thing, etc.

My advice is to make one more credit card purchase. Buy a food scale and just eat what you do normally. Weigh and track accurately. You'll lose weight (and lose the stress!).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you tend to obsess over details, I suggest you shop first (for the sales) selecting for all the food groups as described, and then work out your meal plan for the week all at once.

Frozen over fresh for your perishables to save money and reduce wastage.

Buy a different starchy carb staple each shopping trip (ramen this week, rice the next) until you have more variety on hand.

Lunches are cheaper if you repurpose your leftovers from the night before.

You get your calorie savings by figuring out your portions in advance. Pre log sample meals in to MFP.

Oatmeal is a fine breakfast and cheap too.