Best comment/compliment ever...

Options
I have posted a few things lately where I haven't been getting the desired support at home...so in retrospect, I'm trying to turn my "stinking thinking" around and focus on the positive. I haven't had a lot of RL compliments lately. However, my favorite one (the one I cling to right now) was said by a nurse at my oncologist's office during the last visit. After taking my stats (weight, bp, hr, etc) she asked me if I worked out based on the numbers. I grinned from ear to ear and said, "when I can." I'm not even in a "healthy" weight range (according to my BMI), but I don't drink or smoke and I try to eat good foods most of the time. It was just so nice for someone to notice I try to take care of my body. In the spirit of my motto "A better world starts with a better me", I would like to encourage others to reflect on their most positive comment/compliment ever. If something comes to mind, please post it...I would love to hear your stories too!!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    It actually came from my husband just a few weeks ago. I haven't worked out or been healthy in a long time and was just feeling all around happier when I got back into it. I kept with it and he wasn't super supportive, but not unsupportive either. I guess apathetic would be the best word I could think of. He was still affectionate and loving, but this was something he just didn't get (he's naturally very slender). But one day he walked up to me, put his hands around my head and said "you look so much happier with yourself lately. I'm so glad." And then gave me a big kiss. It was great to see how what I was feeling really did show and that he did notice a difference. We're now both eating healthy (I'm still trying to slim down and he's trying to bulk up). It was almost like that sentence ushered in a new phase for us.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Every "A" on my papers & exams in university was my most cherished compliment.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have two... one has to do with weight, and the other has nothing to do with weight.

1. On my wedding night, (keep in mind I am very religious and had never even shook my husband's hand let alone hugged him before marriage), my husband hugged me for the first time ever and he made this wonderful sounding sigh and said "You're so soft!" I almost burst into tears, it was the best compliment I had ever gotten. He didn't care about my stretch marks, my rolls, my flappy arms, he just held me and loved it. He's not really into "big girls", he loves that I'm loosing weight and getting healthy, but he has never once complained of my weight, size or appearance, he has only given me positive reinforcement when I'm doing well, and told me (when I pried it out of him) that he wouldn't complain if I were to loose some weight, he never wants me to be a skinny minny. So yes - "You're so soft" was probably the best compliment, and one of the best moments of my life.

2. This happened two nights ago. I have a very close friend with a 3 month old baby. We were eating dinner together at at Mosque with tons of other ladies. Her baby was being cranky and she was having trouble eating, so I offered to take him since I was done eating. I sat with him for quite along time, rocking him, reciting to him, letting him suck/chew on my fingers and play with my hands, he calmed down and started to enjoy himself. Then a woman came up to me and said "Oh he's so cute! How old is he?" as if he was my baby, so I politely answered her and said "Yes he is, he's 3 months old, this is his mum right here", and she looked shocked and said "You're not his mum? But you look so natural with a baby!" For someone who has only ever wanted to be a mum, and is going to start trying to get pregnant next year, this is an amazing compliment which I will never forget.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have two... one has to do with weight, and the other has nothing to do with weight.

1. On my wedding night, (keep in mind I am very religious and had never even shook my husband's hand let alone hugged him before marriage), my husband hugged me for the first time ever and he made this wonderful sounding sigh and said "You're so soft!" I almost burst into tears, it was the best compliment I had ever gotten. He didn't care about my stretch marks, my rolls, my flappy arms, he just held me and loved it. He's not really into "big girls", he loves that I'm loosing weight and getting healthy, but he has never once complained of my weight, size or appearance, he has only given me positive reinforcement when I'm doing well, and told me (when I pried it out of him) that he wouldn't complain if I were to loose some weight, he never wants me to be a skinny minny. So yes - "You're so soft" was probably the best compliment, and one of the best moments of my life.

2. This happened two nights ago. I have a very close friend with a 3 month old baby. We were eating dinner together at at Mosque with tons of other ladies. Her baby was being cranky and she was having trouble eating, so I offered to take him since I was done eating. I sat with him for quite along time, rocking him, reciting to him, letting him suck/chew on my fingers and play with my hands, he calmed down and started to enjoy himself. Then a woman came up to me and said "Oh he's so cute! How old is he?" as if he was my baby, so I politely answered her and said "Yes he is, he's 3 months old, this is his mum right here", and she looked shocked and said "You're not his mum? But you look so natural with a baby!" For someone who has only ever wanted to be a mum, and is going to start trying to get pregnant next year, this is an amazing compliment which I will never forget.

I loved the first story you shared...what a beautiful tender moment between you and your husband. Good luck on having a baby!!
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    Every "A" on my papers & exams in university was my most cherished compliment.

Your "A's" were the results of your hard work and dedication. Glad you see them as a compliment, but you earned them!
  • jljshoe1979
    Options
    It actually came from my husband just a few weeks ago. I haven't worked out or been healthy in a long time and was just feeling all around happier when I got back into it. I kept with it and he wasn't super supportive, but not unsupportive either. I guess apathetic would be the best word I could think of. He was still affectionate and loving, but this was something he just didn't get (he's naturally very slender). But one day he walked up to me, put his hands around my head and said "you look so much happier with yourself lately. I'm so glad." And then gave me a big kiss. It was great to see how what I was feeling really did show and that he did notice a difference. We're now both eating healthy (I'm still trying to slim down and he's trying to bulk up). It was almost like that sentence ushered in a new phase for us.

Oh how awesome he recognized your happiness. Good luck to each of you in your endeavors to be healthy!!