Tea and Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One of its proven effects is the removal of tooth enamel, so proceed with caution.
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    One of its proven effects is the removal of tooth enamel, so proceed with caution.

I am aware of that. Hence the chug of water after the ACV. I take a shot so I try not to let it hit my teeth, but the water clears any residue.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    erin3011 wrote: »
    If it works for you, do it! It can't hurt in moderation. It's also good for liver function.

Do you have any studies to back this up?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of teas, all of them decaf. Lots of herbal teas. They're great between meal pick-me-ups.

I don't care for vinegar, there's really no benefit to adding it, and I think it would get in the way of the lovely flavor of my favorite teas.
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I like that you asked does anyone else drink it .... sadly, on here it's always open season for definitive medical declarations (It's terrible for you, It does nothing for you, It's beneficial for you .... they all come out to play) even if you haven't asked for it. I drink it. I make "faux-bucha" as I call it of Green Tea and a berry flavored tea, a shot of ACV, and a dash of raw honey or maple syrup. I don't give a rat's a** if it has any medicinal value, I enjoy the taste but a bottle of kombucha a day is too much $$ and it helps me eat less just before a meal. I like Braggs or any organic brand that has the "mother" in it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nasty. :sick:
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I drink it too. Every am I mix it with a big glass of water and juice from half a lemon. About 3 times a week in the afternoon I have ACV, lemon, cinnamon and honey in a glass of water.
    It helps with energy and keeps me feeling full. My skin has never looked better either.
    And why is everyone so judgemental on here? I've only been in the community for a week or so though I've used MFP for a couple years on and off but I'm really turned off of this place because of some of the attitudes I've seen! So many experts! Geez.
    If you feel you are benefiting from it that's all that matters. Cheers!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Tried it, because if anything the whole trick with ACV is that you're drinking a lot of water, hence feeling fuller, eating less, and I'll be honest, I'm horrible about drinking fluids at home. But it's so gross, yuck. It's a fantastic placebo as far as I can tell, not unlike coconut oil (which at least provides healthy fats). As for faux-bucha, hey if you like the taste, go for it.
    I've also read into it as well, and have yet to find a peer review that has found any link to ACV and appetite suppression. But if someone knows one, let's get it posted for discussion. :smiley:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Tried it, because if anything the whole trick with ACV is that you're drinking a lot of water, hence feeling fuller, eating less, and I'll be honest, I'm horrible about drinking fluids at home. But it's so gross, yuck. It's a fantastic placebo as far as I can tell, not unlike coconut oil (which at least provides healthy fats). As for faux-bucha, hey if you like the taste, go for it.
    I've also read into it as well, and have yet to find a peer review that has found any link to ACV and appetite suppression. But if someone knows one, let's get it posted for discussion. :smiley:

This. I've done research as well. I've found nothing reputable to support claims about weight loss benefits.

Those who pooh-pooh us passing on what we've learned don't understand we're passing on an informed opinion.

I really don't see how sharing information is seen as a hostile environment.

It's not like we kicked your puppy or anything. You're still free to drink the stuff if you enjoy the taste.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    I like that you asked does anyone else drink it .... sadly, on here it's always open season for definitive medical declarations (It's terrible for you, It does nothing for you, It's beneficial for you .... they all come out to play) even if you haven't asked for it. I drink it. I make "faux-bucha" as I call it of Green Tea and a berry flavored tea, a shot of ACV, and a dash of raw honey or maple syrup. I don't give a rat's a** if it has any medicinal value, I enjoy the taste but a bottle of kombucha a day is too much $$ and it helps me eat less just before a meal. I like Braggs or any organic brand that has the "mother" in it.

Huh?

Those who generally point out that ACV won't work have actually read the science behind ACV and general weight loss science. Since when is dispelling a myth uncalled for? Also, if they (like you) drink it for the taste, then there's no issue, right? It's one thing to say acv does work for weight loss/is detoxing. This is a public forum where many view the topic and everyone has the right to respond. Adding correct information isn't just for the OP, it's for everyone who is seeking information on the topic.
    I drink it too. Every am I mix it with a big glass of water and juice from half a lemon. About 3 times a week in the afternoon I have ACV, lemon, cinnamon and honey in a glass of water.
    It helps with energy and keeps me feeling full. My skin has never looked better either.
    And why is everyone so judgemental on here? I've only been in the community for a week or so though I've used MFP for a couple years on and off but I'm really turned off of this place because of some of the attitudes I've seen! So many experts! Geez.

But there are many experts here from the science, medical and diet/fitness industry that give a lot of their time answering questions.

There are also many who enjoy reading scientific studies. I'd rather listen to them as well as the true experts.

Since when has dispelling information and being knowledgable been a turn off? I'm so saddened that many chose to not learn and get flustered than take the time to learn valuable information from the knowledgable.

Huh?

Those who generally point out that ACV won't work have actually read the science behind ACV and general weight loss science. Since when is dispelling a myth uncalled for? Also, if they (like you) drink it for the taste, then there's no issue, right? It's one thing to say acv does work for weight loss/is detoxing. This is a public forum where many view the topic and everyone has the right to respond. Adding correct information isn't just for the OP, it's for everyone who is seeking information on the topic.

But there are many experts here from the science, medical and diet/fitness industry that give a lot of their time answering questions.

There are also many who enjoy reading scientific studies. I'd rather listen to them as well as the true experts.

Since when has dispelling information and being knowledgable been a turn off? I'm so saddened that many chose to not learn and get flustered than take the time to learn valuable information from the knowledgable.

Huh?

There are no experts on here. Just a lot of people with free time and Google who like to think they know stuff. If you're going to claim there are experts than at least point out there are "experts" that will be for or against every single diet idea out there. Every. Single. One.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    Or so you say. The diet industry in multi-billion dollars worth of crap for one very clear reason ..... There is no one way to do it. So, you can find (via Google) all the peer reviews you'd like that support your opinions, but don't claim you are adding "Correct information" just because you did.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Or so you say. The diet industry in multi-billion dollars worth of crap for one very clear reason ..... There is no one way to do it. So, you can find (via Google) all the peer reviews you'd like that support your opinions, but don't claim you are adding "Correct information" just because you did.

Actually, there is one way to do it: a calorie deficit. You know how we know? You can read peer-reviewed science to support that finding.

How you go about achieving that deficit (in terms of the foods you eat?) that's just noise, and that's where the diet gurus come in and muddy the waters.
  • HestiaMoon1
    Options
    The people I'm dismissing .... That is hilarious that you say that like I've offended some Nobel Prize laureate. You're just people. Average joes and joannas.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

People with free time (and interest) and internet access are actually in a really good position to become informed provided they possess the scientific literacy to critically evaluate their sources.

I'm not sure why you're throwing that around like it's a bad thing or somehow discredits what they're saying.

Someone who is citing well-constructed, peer reviewed studies isn't less credible because they found those studies online.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    The people I'm dismissing .... That is hilarious that you say that like I've offended some Nobel Prize laureate. You're just people. Average joes and joannas.

Hey, it's fine to dismiss us as people. The information we're sharing that you're dismissing? That's also your prerogative.

However, you're remaining willfully ignorant simply because you want to, not because you have any real knowledge. We at least have informed opinions.

I frankly don't care if you want to dismiss me.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Um no. Where are the peer reviewed clinical studies that prove acv causes weight loss? Providing science backed information is correct information. Providing information that isn't backed by science is incorrect.