Calorie balancing- 5 times a day eating help

Options
emmamc252
emmamc252 Posts: 56 Member
Hi.
So I've been trying to follow the insanity nutrition guide, not word for word but at least the %s it's diet uses and eating 5 small meals a day. After reading up on it I understand this I'd to keep your metabolism going throughout the day. Fab!
My prob is that when I'm at work I can't fit in 3 full on meals. I don't have time to sit and eat that much food, I barely have enough time to shovel anything down on my actual lunch break!! So I was eating 5 small meals but 3 were ced into my evenings. Since reading the purpose if the 5 small meals and understanding they should be 3 hours ish apart I've had a go at preparing meals, bringing to work but ended up having 2 mouthfuls at lightning speed before running off for break duty or in lesson switch over, so just ended up not eating enough at all.
I'm wondering how many calories I actually need to consume to keep my
going? I can quickly eat a slice or 2 of ham, or a bit of cheese or take a peanut butter banana sandwich and have a couple of mouthfuls but I just can't fit in the 200-300 kcal at work.
If I eat say 60 kcal every 1-2 hours at work would this keep my metabolism going or is that just not enough?
I'm trying to think of a way to get all my kcal and nutrition but without eating 50% or more in the evening.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eating x amount of times per day will not impact your metabolism.

Eat in a way that allows you better performance and adherence while hitting your calorie and macro goals for the day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • emmamc252
    emmamc252 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well that's interesting. So as long as I eat my calories and appropriate nutritional content I could have 3 500 kcal meals as opposed to 5 300kcal ones?
    To be honest I kind of believed it because everyone always says you need to eat breakfast to "start your metabolism" and that's why eating breakfast on a diet is so important?
    I used to be a morning coffee and no food til lunch gal, is this also a load of rubbish?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well that's interesting. So as long as I eat my calories and appropriate nutritional content I could have 3 500 kcal meals as opposed to 5 300kcal ones?
    To be honest I kind of believed it because everyone always says you need to eat breakfast to "start your metabolism" and that's why eating breakfast on a diet is so important?
    I used to be a morning coffee and no food til lunch gal, is this also a load of rubbish?

Totally.

The 'breakfast kickstarting your metabolism' is basically rubbish. Some people have more energy if they eat breakfast, some do not Some people have better adherence if they eat breakfast, some have a harder time if they do. This really is one of those cases of 'do what works best for you'.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Listen to Sarauk2sf, she knows her stuff! I would also stay away from news sources like yahoo health. The writers there have caused a lot of misinformation.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It does'nt matter if you eat once a day or ten times a day-it's all about the calories. Eat when/how it works best for your schedule and you'll be good :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Eating multiple times a day will not burn more calories than eating the same amount of food in fewer meals will. However, I find that it helps me from feeling hungry to always have a little "in the tank".
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Totally.

The 'breakfast kickstarting your metabolism' is basically rubbish. Some people have more energy if they eat breakfast, some do not Some people have better adherence if they eat breakfast, some have a harder time if they do. This really is one of those cases of 'do what works best for you'.

I completely agree that breakfast does not kickstart one's metabolism as is often claimed, but there are other reasons to start off the day with at least some food. I recently read a scientific study of the brain (not a nutrition or fitness study) that said (in part) the brain requires energy to function and everyone should start their day with some food to provide calories/energy for the brain to function properly. I can't recall the exact number, but it stated that everyone needs xx calories reasonably soon after waking up to support proper brain function. While I don't recall the exact number of calories it recommended, I do recall thinking that an apple, banana, or similar would fit the bill. It also said that the brain dehydrates overnight and requires water to re-hydrate. So, while I am in agreement with all of the comments about nutrition and meal timing on this post, this one additional piece of information should be added to the mix for a full picture.