Resistance Training at home

Options
I want to build some upper body strength but can't afford a gym. Wanting some good ideas that can be done at home without equipment.
Everything has to be low impact on my knee though which can not cope with much more than walking on level ground. This walking is my cardio workout.

I have exercises that the physio has given me for my thighs and butt. Core strength exercises are pretty much out though because of that bloomin' knee.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    What about investing in some dumbbells or resistance bands?

Just had a look at some exercises. Resistance bands seem more versatile and I can easily work out which exercises to avoid. Thanks
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    Ouch! When they say no pain no gain I don't think they mean that.
  • mitem472
    mitem472 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could check out FitnessBlender.com They have amazing workout videos high/low impact versions available and the best thing is you need no equipment! =)
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    mitem472 wrote: »
    You could check out FitnessBlender.com They have amazing workout videos high/low impact versions available and the best thing is you need no equipment! =)

I can see how many would love these videos. However, much of the low impact would still be ouch on my knee and I am after more resistance training. A brilliant cardio workout with heaps of variety though.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Regular Push ups, wide push ups is very good, decline press up. Alternating push ups, diamond. Push ups. Progression once it gets easy, feet elevated push ups, bench dip(use the couch) Will help with upper body strength. Hope that helps ☺
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    I've been doing push ups on my knees and incline push ups. Still have a way to go to get strength for the rest but it it a work in progress.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I've been doing push ups on my knees and incline push ups. Still have a way to go to get strength for the rest but it it a work in progress.

Cool, keep it up
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I want to build some upper body strength but can't afford a gym. Wanting some good ideas that can be done at home without equipment.
    Everything has to be low impact on my knee though which can not cope with much more than walking on level ground. This walking is my cardio workout.

I have exercises that the physio has given me for my thighs and butt. Core strength exercises are pretty much out though because of that bloomin' knee.

I'm curious how you can work your thighs & butt, but can't do core because you you knee? There's an endless number of core exercises you can do that have nothing to do with flexing your knee.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

I'm curious how you can work your thighs & butt, but can't do core because you you knee? There's an endless number of core exercises you can do that have nothing to do with flexing your knee.

I do modified duck squats and various leg raises which work the glutts and thighs. As I am lying down there is no strain on the knee. I also use a foam roller to loosen the muscles on the outside of my leg. Just last week the physio introduced a new exercise where I stand side on to a table using it as support and with the outside leg raised behind the other I bend my knee a few inches. Yep, that is my knee for you.It is hard to accept that I will never run or hike through hills/mountains again but doing so will mean a knee replacement in the not too distant future.

Crunches is the extent I go for core strength exercise.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    My resistance bands arrived in the mail today and I also purchased some 2kg dumbbells. Did about 40 minutes of strength training. Think I will be sore come morning.

My fitness plan is 1.5-2 hours of brisk walking every day (sometimes in one go and sometimes in two) and every second day doing 30mins of resistance band/dumbbell exercises to build some more muscle mass.