Strength training weight loss.

Since January 2 I have added strength training 4 days a week. The scales are not moving as fast. Is it possible to be adding muscle weight in just 1 month?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    no...you don't add muscle on a deficit unless you fall under certain previews like obese etc.

It is probably water retention and glycogen stores.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    New exercise can cause water retention as mentioned above. It took me about six weeks for it to leave when I first started lifting.
  • dotsnider
    dotsnider Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    In theory, strength training builds muscle, which increases weight; but then those extra muscles burn more calories, which enhances weight loss. I am restarting mine today to gain strength because I feel flabby.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    In theory, strength training builds muscle, which increases weight; but then those extra muscles burn more calories, which enhances weight loss. I am restarting mine today to gain strength because I feel flabby.

actually no.

In theory it builds strength...a progressive load lifting program with a caloric surplus build muscle.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    how much have you lost?

lwet you diet do the deficit work. Not your training program.

I lost all my weight through diet. I built the body I want by lifting weight.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    If you are new to weightlifting, you are in a special group of people that can add muscle and lose fat at the same time, BUT, muscle gain is a very slow process. I think the absolute maximum muscle gain for young man (higher testosterone for muscle gaining) doing heavy lifting would be around 1-2 lbs per month (you might want to check that), but it's not very much.

The best thing you can do is keep at it, take progress pictures and lots of body measurements. You can add extra measurements in MFP (I think it's in the progress section where the weight graph is).

I've found the best to be progress photos. I think it's true about the water retention in muscles mentioned above.

Sounds like you just need to stay the course and not change.

You might have plateaued though, if things don't change in another few weeks, lower your calories a touch. When our bodies lose weight they need less calories. When you get to the weight that is right for the amount of calories you're eating your body will be in Goldilocks Land, ....just right... so to lose more weight, simply adjust your intake a small amount and see how it goes.
  • dotsnider
    dotsnider Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone. I took measurements and I have lost inches. Going to continue and stay off the scales for a while so I don't get discouraged. I have lost over 40 pounds prior to starting strengthing. Thanks for your advice!