Best way to measure homemade soup?

Options
jbeth30
jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
I am making chicken noodle soup today. I am making my own stock. I am so confused as the best way to measure and weigh everything. It seems so stressful I was thinking I should weigh my stock after I make it and then add all of the other ingredients and weigh that. Then divided into how many servings that I want it?so if the whole thing weighs 1000 g then divide the thousand grams into six servings for example.does anyone have an easier way to figure out serving sizes in homemade recipes?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Some people weigh the final product in ounces or grams, then choose to make the number of servings in the MFP Recipe Tool the total weight. If the final weight is 2560 grams, make the number of servings 2560; when you take a serving, log the weight of the serving in grams. The only drawback to this method is that the Calories and nutrition information for a one gram serving will *display* as zeroes, but the actual numbers will still be calculated correctly.

I like to set my soup/stew recipe serving size to 230g, which is about 1 US measuring cup. That way, if I am in a hurry, I can just use measuring cups to portion out a serving. I do have to weigh the final product, then add water to make the total weight a multiple of 230g, but it works for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    230g will not always be 1 US measuring cup depending on what's in your soup.

You could however weigh out one cup and decide to make that the serving size for later.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chicken Noodle Soup is an easier version, with the cooked chicken usually being tossed in the pot when the product is about done(15 min or so before finishing.) It's easier to make an individual portion of soup for self or for starters. You can also keep the ingredients as whole as possible whether you're making a single serving or not, then divide and break them down nearing the final result. This makes it a lot easier, 1 carrot for 1 person, 2 carrots for 2 people, and so on. You can pre-cook other finer ingredients such as peas in another pan or pot, and safely add a small amount to the whole mix while reserving the main servings, to slightly add their incorporating flavors.