Need help resetting calorie goal

Options
Hi All. I would really appreciate insight from the group on adjusting my daily calorie goal. I haven't changed it since this summer, and my weight loss has definitely slowed down. I have lost 44 pounds since March 2106. The weight loss has been slow but steady. I went from super sedentary to moderately active. My body has really firmed up and I've lost 30" total. I'm really happy with my progress, and I feel like a million bucks. I just want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels. I've only lost 4 pounds since Christmas. Right now my calorie goal is set to 1350 and eat back half my exercise calories, which of course I have to guess, especially in the pool. I am considering using the TDEE method, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go. Here are my stats:

Female
Height 5'6"
CW: 159
SW: 203
Workout- Swim moderately/vigorously 3x week for 60 min (I have a coach who oversees my workout), Orange Theory Fitness (HIIT) 3x a week. 1 Rest day. I am a teacher, so I am moving around moderately throughout the day. My goal weight is 140-145. I'd like to lose .5-1 lb/week.

I really appreciate any advice you can lend!! Thanks so much!!

Replies

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong in your process right now. As you get closer to your goal you will lose less weight on a weekly basis. The loss will still happen, but the deficit is no longer as great, and you want to lose slower since its fat you want to lose and not lean muscle.

Switching to TDEE may be an option to switch up your process. I use TDEE and go off my Fitbit while taking into account a 15-20% margin of error with the Fitbit HRM as these aren't always 100% accurate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    You're approaching a healthy BMI and you lost one pound per week in the last month. That is right on target. If it ain't broke...

Seriously, set your goals to "Lose 1/2 pound per week," at this point, and eat back a few hundred exercise cals. Or do the TDEE thing. You know what it takes to lose, so keep it going. I prefer the MFP calorie calculations, but some people work out daily and can get away with the TDEE thing. I like the flexibility of the MFP method.
  • Nikkia2112
    Nikkia2112 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the response! I will keep doing what I am doing. I was starting to doubt myself, and I appreciate the insight. :smile: