Egg yolks?

lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
If a recipe calls for egg whites (e.g. I just made macaroons), do you save the yolks? How do you store them? What do you use them for? FTR, I threw them away.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Sometimes I save them to make mayonnaise, but I usually just throw them out. You can keep them in the fridge for 2-4 days, but they don't freeze well.
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    I would totally cook them and put them on some spaghetti squash or avocado
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I use more egg whites than whole eggs - I like to bump up protein without the fat from every egg. Sadly, they get chucked... I refuse to use the packaged egg whites though.

I know people who give them to their dogs. A couple may be used for Mayo occasionally, or other cooking but the types of things that require egg yolks aren't things I make often!

• Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 208 Member
    Yep, the dogs get them.
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    edited February 2017
    Usually, they go to my dog.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member
    I cook them and give them to my furbabies, but only in small quantities - a couple tablespoons mixed in with their kibble a few times a week. If I have extras, I freeze them AFTER cooking and my puppies don't seem to mind the taste or texture of the frozen (then thawed) yolks.
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Good for desserts if you feel like indulging. Ice creams and custards.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    I could never throw away our egg yolks but our eggs come from my own chickens and I know they are chock full of good nutrition compared to store bought. If I got store bought regular eggs I would just toss the yolks. But this link might be helpful for you. So many possibilities!! :-) I like eggnog.
    http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I could never throw away our egg yolks but our eggs come from my own chickens and I know they are chock full of good nutrition compared to store bought. If I got store bought regular eggs I would just toss the yolks. But this link might be helpful for you. So many possibilities!! :-) I like eggnog.
    http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php

We don't have our own chickens... But we do buy different eggs, organic free range for when we use whole eggs, normal free range for just whites...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I use them to make carbonara in the winter and ice cream in the summer! Alternatively, the dog gets them if it's only one or two.