Chia Seeds

Options
Doctorsookiestrikesback
Doctorsookiestrikesback Posts: 53 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Have you tried chia seeds? If so, have you seen any difference in your digestion? Or what other changes have you seen since using them?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds because they help me meet my daily fiber goal, which helps keep things moving so to speak. I add them to smoothies and yogurt, mostly.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    No changes. We have a jar in the cupboard, I ate Chia pudding daily for breakfast for a few months during a comp prep once. I rarely use them now.... Not the biggest fan of the texture.

I don't think the ala in Chia is converted to epa or dha very easily so that's not a huge benefit..
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I got some seeds a while back and have made pudding with it from time to time. It's not something I want to buy on a regular basis, but nice for the sake of variety. Pinterest has a lot of different recipes with varying degrees of success. I hated PB&J, was fine with a banana pudding, and adore Mexican chocolate.

I'm a sucker for anything even remotely Mexican chocolate thought.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I like them, including their texture. They help me reach my fiber goal, and the nutrients are digestible without having to grind them up like one has to do with flax seeds. They are not magic though, just a good higher fiber food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I used mine up and I haven't replaced them yet. I added them to my oatmeal for variety. Oats are also chock full of soluble fiber.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like them on my salad
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Love 'em. I put 4 Tbps in a bowl of water and let it sit a few hours in the fridge, and stir every so often. When it thickens, I put it in the microwave for 90 seconds, add a pat of butter, and a little sugar free maple syrup and it's just as good (IMO) as cream of wheat.

On day two of daily usage of chia seeds. Eating the pudding and adding to my shake (along with flaxseed) I was able to get 54g of fiber today. Still a little constipated, though. Hopefully this will start clearing up in the next couple days. I'm mainly using the chia seeds to get extra fiber, but also using it as a meal replacement when I eat it pudding style. Really fills me up.

The brand I bought has 5g of carbs and 5g of fiber, making it 0 net carbs.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    i got introduced to them by a teacher who swore by them because his daily schedule made it hard for him to find time to eat, a lot of the time. he put them into his breakfast shakes and said they kept him off the potato chips until he got home :wink:

my problem was, once the fascination with that thing that they do wore off with me, all i could think was frog spawn. guess that's also a way of blunting your appetite . . . but not for me.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I eat chia pudding every now and then when I put the effort in. And in regards to digestion. As my aunt puts it. "They're natures little sweepers"
  • moonglowfae999
    moonglowfae999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't use them enough to notice a change in my digestion I think. But I love them in yogurt and oatmeal. Made a chia pudding once and the texture was good but I need to tweak the ingredients a bit.
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    i got introduced to them by a teacher who swore by them because his daily schedule made it hard for him to find time to eat, a lot of the time. he put them into his breakfast shakes and said they kept him off the potato chips until he got home :wink:

my problem was, once the fascination with that thing that they do wore off with me, all i could think was frog spawn. guess that's also a way of blunting your appetite . . . but not for me.

yep that would do it. LOL
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Doctorsookiestrikesback Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well, thanks everyone. Based on the gathered data, I'll give it a go. Try it for a month and track how I feel. I have spent the last four months slowly eliminating foods I find aggravate my IBS-C and I am looking for relief anywhere I can. :s
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds because they help me meet my daily fiber goal, which helps keep things moving so to speak. I add them to smoothies and yogurt, mostly.

Ditto for the fiber; I put a tablespoon in my oatmeal every day and just that little bit makes a huge difference.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I recently began using a breadmaking machine to make homemade bread from the recipe book included in the machine. The simple white bread 1 lb loaf calls for 2 cups of bread flour. I substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour, so that the recipe has 1 cup of bread flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. That makes a very nice bread with higher protein and fiber, with 2 calories per gram according to the recipe tool on myfitnesspal. Last Saturday I made a loaf with an additional 1 oz of chia seeds and 1 oz of flax seeds. For that loaf, the recipe tool claims that it produces 3 calories per gram. The texture of the bread is more dense, of course, but it is also a quite pleasant piece of bread. The protein and fiber is even higher, and is worth the extra calories.