Tips for that "Indulgence" food?

Options
So I tend to follow an iifym clean macros approach and try to have one cheat meal during the week.
However, during this cheat meal, I tend to overindulge in chocolate.
If I know that chocolate is my treat that I overindulge, should I try to avoid it more? Or have it every day to prevent this cheat meal overindulge(it's not a binge)?

Or any tips in general for that treat that you tend to eat too much of wheb you have the opportunity?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What are "clean" macros?

If you don't want to overindulge then don't buy a big portion of that thing. Go out and enjoy a serving without bringing it into the house. Or like you said, eat something little you enjoy every day so that you don't need a "cheat meal".
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals. I work my calories so that treats fit in my daily calories. I also pre-track. When I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can have (in my case) 2 pieces of potato kugel and a frosted shortbread cookie and it won't 'blow my diet' or 'undo all my good work so far', because I already wrote it down along with everything else I'm eating that day and it fits, I can relax and enjoy without stress or guilt.
  • ANT98
    ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What are "clean" macros?

If you don't want to overindulge then don't buy a big portion of that thing. Go out and enjoy a serving without bringing it into the house. Or like you said, eat something little you enjoy every day so that you don't need a "cheat meal".

I've been following more of a paleo style (health reasons) but tend to eat a lot of chocolate over my macros one day
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    ANT98 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What are "clean" macros?

I've been following more of a paleo style (health reasons) but tend to eat a lot of chocolate over my macros one day

Okay. So what's the question again?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in 12 months and I ate chocolate every day. I never cheated once.

Read the Helpful Posts Announcement. Just eat what keeps you satisfied within your calorie limit. No need to complicate it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you do IIFYM, it means you can eat what you like whenever you like as long as it fits. That includes chocolate. Why do you need to cheat?

Stop with the dietary restrictions and food labelling, and you can be free to eat some chocolate when you please - I found this helped me immensely, and I actually find I want less of the things I used to binge on. If you really want some, make it fit!

Eating a small amount every day, fitting it in to your macros, is a whole lot better for achieving your goals and your mental health than binging once a week.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been all over the map with this and I found that over restricting and making everything too scarce was counterproductive for me. It's all been a mind game.

Having an abundance of choices available (including healthy ones) has enabled me to make better choices.

I went through about a year where I found it difficult to moderate because I was keeping my food environment scarce. Now I have a pantry stocked with cookies and chocolate and I find myself reaching for and peeling a carrot at snack time. Weird, huh?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I've been all over the map with this and I found that over restricting and making everything too scarce was counterproductive for me. It's all been a mind game.

Having an abundance of choices available (including healthy ones) has enabled me to make better choices.

I went through about a year where I found it difficult to moderate because I was keeping my food environment scarce. Now I have a pantry stocked with cookies and chocolate and I find myself reaching for and peeling a carrot at snack time. Weird, huh?

This is me too. I have about 1kg of chocolates from Christmas in the pantry (I get a lot from students)... I think I've eaten 3 small truffles.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You never need to cheat. You need to start looking at your diet like money, it's a budget. If you buy this, you can't have that, if you eat this, you can't have that. Stay within your budget. I don't eat much calorie dense food because it blows my budget and I want to eat more of the good stuff.

Try this, have a perfect week. Weigh in, and go one week and make sure your perfect to your goals. Weigh in again and believe me, you will care much less about cheat days and chocolate when you get gains. For me, this is 1250 calories per day and a net calorie of no more than 700. I don't eat back if I exercise.

You are under eating.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You never need to cheat. You need to start looking at your diet like money, it's a budget. If you buy this, you can't have that, if you eat this, you can't have that. Stay within your budget. I don't eat much calorie dense food because it blows my budget and I want to eat more of the good stuff.

Try this, have a perfect week. Weigh in, and go one week and make sure your perfect to your goals. Weigh in again and believe me, you will care much less about cheat days and chocolate when you get gains. For me, this is 1250 calories per day and a net calorie of no more than 700. I don't eat back if I exercise.

This is not the right thing to do.

You need to net a minimum of 1200 calories if you're female, 1500 if you're male.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I just fit everything into my calorie limit and if I want to eat more, I exercise for it. :)