Stationary Bike or Treadmill?

Options
2»

Replies

• 9Patty13
    9Patty13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to switch things up between treadmill, bike, elliptical and rowing. I understand aches and pains especially being large as well so my choice for the day depends on how my body feels. Most days I start with the elliptical for 10 - 15 mins, do strength exercise and finish with bike or treadmill depending on what my ankles and knees feel like
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I find both the treadmill and stationary bike to be huge buzz kills and very boring. However, living in Illinois means you will most likely be doing some of you exercise indoors. I find it best to mix things up to avoid boredom because avoiding boredom will get you working out more.

That being said, if the treadmill is causing you knee pain, don't do it. Listen to what your body is telling you.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You can burn a lot more on the bike (assuming high enough resistance and cadence) than walking. Walking has one advantage over running in that you can bundle up as is and head outside and be fairly comfortable (no being soaked in sweat and freezing afterward and needing to change immediately) and not worry as much about footing and whether traction devices on your feet will stay put. Whenever I've walked/run past gyms, I can never understand how people can stand being on those hampster wheels for long periods.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like treadmill because bike hurts my back, so treadmill for me. You enjoy bike more, so bike for you. I'm one of the few people who don't find the treadmill boring, so there is that. It doesn't matter which type of cardio you pick, as long as it brings your heart rate up you will be burning more calories than a milder exercise or leisurely walking and achieving comparable burns doing any form of cardio.