New, ill and fat! Can you help me stay motivated?

Options
Hi. I am completely new to forums etc and I don't want to invite my friends on Facebook face as I feel embarrassed.
I have fibromyalgia and seronegative lupus. For anyone who doesn't know they are painful and tiring auto immune chronic pain illnesses.
I have put on almost 4 stone in 18months due to medications and I have gone from being a fairly fit active person to barley being able to move most days.
I now feel ready to try and make a change and started off well but in my fourth week and been failing this week drastically.

I can't afford or commit to go to weekly groups but feel I need some support as I am doing this on my own as husband works shifts and is a big eater. I have 2 young children and eat quite healthy.

I wasn't slim before I became ill with still a good 3 stone to lose but now I need to lose about 8 stone. I know I have a long journey ahead but if anyone can give me some extra tips especially if any experience with my illness.

ThanKs. X

Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What do you actually want and/or need in a MFP friend?

I can understand about medications helping to cause weight gain. I was on some medications for two to three weeks out of every month for nearly three years. I gained around 150 pounds. I also started out being overweight.

I started loosing weight by controlling what I ate, portion sizes, and cooking from scratch. Then I began walking. I could only walk two minutes at first. I just kept trying and I didn't give up. Now my goal is 1.5 miles every day. I also workout three times a week with a medicine ball and a kettlebell. I couldn't do that a year ago.

I have other medical issues and take a lot of different medications.

It will work out for you. Just be patient. Don't give up. Be gentle with yourself. Try to stay focused. It will work out....It will.
  • Mrsgrr
    Mrsgrr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one suffered from negative side effects.
  • RedSquirrelsNut
    Options
    Welcome from another newbie who needs motivation.

I used to be always ill. Allergies, eczema, migraines, terrible monthly cramps, short temper, just generally physically and mentally irritated. Oh and infertility issues. The Dr I was seeing for the fertility suggested I went on the Blood Type Diet, and it helped me loads. Not only with all of that stuff, but also with a lot of other little things that I didn't realise weren't "normal", like depression that I didn't know everyone else didn't have to fight, mood swings, taking ages to heal from injuries, dry skin and hair, inconvenient super-sensitive sense of smell. I could go on. All auto-immune issues like yours, although different ones.

Basically within a month I had dropped a stone (not intentionally), within 4 months I felt heaps better, no hayfever, much more alert, no more crying without knowing why, or being scared to walk out on the 15th floor balcony in case I jumped off (doesn't everyone feel like that then? Apparently not), skin cleared up. The only thing it didn't "cure" was the infertility, although tests on my eggs showed that they were much "younger". Not young enough, but hey, we tried our best. :smile:

Fast forward through 5 years, living in 2 other countries and then moving back to little old England (for good) and in that time I've fallen off the wagon, stopped eating properly, and put that stone back on. Those annoying things like hayfever and eczema are starting to come back. It's no good, I thought, got to do something about it. So here I am. Back on the BTD (mostly) and losing already.

We can both do this. Life has more to hold than illness and fatigue. {hug}