Snacking and tasting while cooking

Options
I am preparing finger food for our Superbowl party and the hardest part for me is not to snack while cutting and cooking. I caught myself eating a little cocktail sausage not because I was hungry, just because it was there and it looked at tasted good. I am a human garbage disposal -or have been, what brought me here in the first place.

I realized today for the first time how much I snack absent-minded while preparing food.
The nighttime snacking and snacking while cooking became such a habit. I really have to watch myself what I am doing.

I cook and try a spoon full, the I add spices or whatever else is needed and try another spoon full and so on.

I will be able to stay focused and control the snacking but I love to cook and will continue to prepare tasty meals for our family. Do I log the "tasting" calories or do I pretend it never happened?

Am I overthinking it (again)?

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Log them, they happened
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    And don't beat yourself up unnecessarily about it. I have a tendency to let a minor splurge I hadn't planned on sort of bounce around in my head. I've got some mild anxiety issues. Case in point: yesterday I garnished a spread with four crackers. They weren't touched. When I was clearing the table, I ate them in the kitchen. Now, these crackers are full-fat and I can go through a box like potato chips. So, I generally avoid them. And immediately, the anxiety started up. How much damage had I just done? How bad was this going to be? I'd pre-tracked the day and come in at just under my total allotment before exercise. I weigh in Sunday mornings. How bad was this going to beeeeeeee?????

With mounting horror I dared to pick up the box and with trembling eyes, look at the nutritional info on the side.

...44 calories. I had been stressing and angsting over 44 calories.

Yeah. Right. Breathing normally again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you ate it, you need to log it.

Or just add 100 cals quick add to your day and don't worry about it.
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    generally i add all my weights as i prepare, then enter whatever proportion in mfp. But i tend to round up on cals.. so if i prepped 186g of carrot, Id give me 100g (96 + some) and hubs the 90 in the log. That way i never under count my intake
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I log them. Especially when I make cupcakes and taste the batter...
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I did a huge batch cooking session yesterday. I taste as I go along, not because I can't resist but because I need to know if what I made is edible before I portion it up to freeze. I probably ate a spoonful of curry, one of beef stew, a couple of soups, a couple more of chilli and a taste of chicken chasseur. I didn't log any of it. It probably only came to about 100 calories all in. If I was hoovering up leftovers or doing it every day then yes, I'd log it, either as a part portion or quick calories but, as it is, no, I don't bother. I was down a pound this morning so clearly no harm done.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. It's such a small amounts they don't have any impact on my weightloss rate.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. :( I use some of my exercise cals as a buffer and it hasn't hindered my weightloss yet, but closer to my goal it probably will and I've got to be a little bit more strict when logging it.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is what I want it to be, so I don't worry about it.

I do take the veggies out of the fridge and snack on baby carrots or snap peas while cooking dinner. I'm super hungry by the time I'm cooking, so I tend to want to eat something. So I put something good for me, low calorie, and easy right in front of me so I choose that.