What traditional "diet" foods do you avoid?

Options
Celery and carrot sticks, blah! I don't like muesli bars (not particularly healthy), trail mix, plain popcorn, cottage cheese, pita bread, bran muffins, chili's, stir frys, garden salads...

Replies

• healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    jbeth30 wrote: »
    It's going to take me a while to like salad again...and I may never like skinless boneless chicken breast again unless it's in a recipe that calls for lots of yummy stuff.

I love chicken, its so versatile! I would hate to always eat it plain though, yuck!
  • healthypelican
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't know why those are diet foods. They are just vegetables, grains, nuts...protein, carbs and fats.

I like "diet" foods because I'm a volume eater.

Do you eat shirataki noodles? I brought some but have no idea what to eat with them, the first time I tried eating them I thought they were gross. And I've still got two packets left, lol.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't know why those are diet foods. They are just vegetables, grains, nuts...protein, carbs and fats.

Do you eat shirataki noodles? I brought some but have no idea what to eat with them, the first time I tried eating them I thought they were gross. And I've still got two packets left, lol.

I don't anymore but yes, I used to eat them every day. You must dry fry them first. The package says rinse, but it isn't enough. You have to get more moisture out of them, especially since they smell.

With the traditional japanese noodles without tofu I make stir frys. With the macaroni ones I make a mac and cheese with 3 wedges of laughing cow cheese and a chicken sausage or 2. That's my favorite.
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hate salad and I've given up on eating it. I would rather just eat a bowl of veggies.
  • healthypelican
    Options
    Rowan09 wrote: »
    I hate salad and I've given up on eating it. I would rather just eat a bowl of veggies.

Same!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Celery and carrot sticks, blah! I don't like muesli bars (not particularly healthy), trail mix, plain popcorn, cottage cheese, pita bread, bran muffins, chili's, stir frys, garden salads...

I don't think of any of those things as "diet" foods...celery and carrots are just vegetables...I eat a lot of vegetables because they're good for you. I don't think I've ever had a muesli bar. I eat trail mix a lot when I'm hiking because it's very portable and also tends to be fairly calorie dense. I usually have butter on my popcorn. I've eaten cottage cheese most of my life...it's a fairly common dairy product. Pita bread is just a traditional Mediterranean flat bread...I've eaten gyros most of my life. Chili as a diet food? Chili is chili...my mom practically raised us on that stuff and I still make mom's chili to this day. Stir fries are pretty common Asian dishes. Garden salads are a good way to get your recommended servings of vegetables...pretty sure I've had a garden salad at least a couple times per week for most of my life.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Shirataki noodles are just traditional Asian noodles...they're good in Asian dishes.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    jbeth30 wrote: »
    It's going to take me a while to like salad again...and I may never like skinless boneless chicken breast again unless it's in a recipe that calls for lots of yummy stuff.

I love chicken, its so versatile! I would hate to always eat it plain though, yuck!

There's pretty much no reason to eat it plain...healthy doesn't mean bland and boring...seasoning your chicken to taste good doesn't make it unhealthy...
  • healthypelican
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Chili as a diet food? Chili is chili...my mom practically raised us on that stuff and I still make mom's chili to this day.

Nooooooooooooo

• healthypelican
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Anything "light"/"lite"
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners, fat free dairy anything, and I don't care for raw veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, etc) but I love all of them steamed, roasted, or stir fried.

Edited to say I don't consider anything 'diet' food (well maybe fat free cheese - there is no place in this world for fat free cheese!) Different people have different dietary needs and preferences.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I don't care for muesli bars or trail mix and I can't eat popcorn (diverticulosis), but I make a lot of my own chili, stir frys, and I can eat salads everyday. Cottage cheese is a almost daily stapler in my house and my husband and I love and share brand muffins once in awhile. I really don't understand your question and labeling of "diet foods."