Tips/advise on fitness or running watch, HR-straps?

Options
Hello everybody!

I would like some advise from the experts on here: I have been a runner for some years now, started training more seriously for goals and races a little over 1 year back. Now, I want to upgrade my training schedule by using HR-zones. What it the best gear for that? Who can advise me?

Some facts to consider:
- Running _+ 2-3x a week now, usually with some additional long walk/cycling/youtube calisthenics/rope skipping

- I use a running app on my phone that tracks distance and speed via GPS. I don't really need a watch to replace that, because I bring my phone on runs anyway for security. Just want to add HR, unless there's extra benefits I'm currently not aware of?

- I don't listen to music while running

- I work as a tourguide 2-3 days a week, so tracking my activity on those days would be an added bonus for fun, but not a 'must' for me.

- I am a girl (I dont know if that matters for the accuracy of HR-cheststraps for example, because of bras? :wink: )

Would really appreciate some input from you guys! :smiley:

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The big advantage of a GPS device with HR is data integration, and higher quality GPS tracking than a mobile phone. If you train off track that data integration is essential as so many things affect HR that you need to be able to identify sources of variation when you're doing your post run analysis.

With that in mind the options really depend on your price point. Each of the main manufacturers have offerings in the low, medium and higher budget points.

Personally I'd recommend Garmin at all price points, Suunto in the higher price range. Polar is another credible brand but I'm less impressed. Avoid FitBit.

Given your description I'd veer towards mid range; Garmin Forerunner 230/ 235.
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! These two models look really promising. What do they do better than the Vivoactive HR (+)? That one looks good as well as far as I can see?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a garmin 225 which i love
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input! These two models look really promising. What do they do better than the Vivoactive HR (+)? That one looks good as well as far as I can see?

The VivoActiveHR is entry level, the 230/235 are mid range. Better GPS, better power management and more data collection; vertical oscillation, Ground Contact Time, pace length etc. Those are all useful data points for training improvement.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    There are bluetooth optical HRM straps that you can pair with your phone and wear on your arm/wrist. I have the Scosche Rhythm +. It also works with GPS watches, which is how I use it. It seems to work more reliably than the wrist based HRMs built into the new batch of watches, although I've heard they have gotten better.

If you are just tracking time/pace, most phone apps will do a satisfactory job. I found them to be lacking as I got more serious with my running though. Things like workouts are much easier and better done on a dedicated running watch. Plus it's just much easier to use the watch while running and it works just well in the rain.

I got my girlfriend the VivoActive HR recently. It's a great all arounder for various activities plus activity tracking.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you decide on I think one with GPS is best for you .
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    You know, I found my new fitbit blaze to be every bit as accurate as my old polar chest strap hr monitor, maybe even more reliable as well.

That said a blaze will cost you $175 while a chest strap is around $40
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!

I would like some advise from the experts on here: I have been a runner for some years now, started training more seriously for goals and races a little over 1 year back. Now, I want to upgrade my training schedule by using HR-zones. What it the best gear for that? Who can advise me?

Some facts to consider:
    - Running _+ 2-3x a week now, usually with some additional long walk/cycling/youtube calisthenics/rope skipping

- I use a running app on my phone that tracks distance and speed via GPS. I don't really need a watch to replace that, because I bring my phone on runs anyway for security. Just want to add HR, unless there's extra benefits I'm currently not aware of?

- I don't listen to music while running

- I work as a tourguide 2-3 days a week, so tracking my activity on those days would be an added bonus for fun, but not a 'must' for me.

- I am a girl (I dont know if that matters for the accuracy of HR-cheststraps for example, because of bras? :wink: )

Would really appreciate some input from you guys! :smiley:

If you are seriously interested in getting into running, you really need a GPS watch such as a Garmin. There are so many more advantages such as not futzing with your phone while running being one if the biggest!! (I carry mine, but it stays in my hydration belt or my running belt while I am running.) All the data you need is right there on your wrist: mileage, pace, avg pave, time spent running, heart rate, cadence, etc... You can also program your watch for specific speed workouts, such as intervals or tempo runs. The Garmin Connect app also gives a lot more data. If you are heart rate training, you can even set your Garmin to alert you when you get outside a certain range. I have the 230 where I have to wear a heart rate strap. My brother has the 235 that has the wrist based HRM. We both love our watches. My hubby has a Polar, and we all agree we like Garmins better.

So much better than a phone!!
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Update: I'am using the Garmin 235 since June and I am seriously deeply in love with it <3;) Thanks!