New Running Shoes?

Options
Hello all!

I am pretty new to running so I have question. I have a pair of shoes (A) that I have been using since I started running this year, I got them from Amazon because they were cheap. I am like 4 or 5 weeks into running and 3 weeks into an actual training plain for a 10K.

I decided, last week, to go to a real bona fide running store where they fit you for shoes because I was sticking with running so I should probably get "good" shoes, right? So I got a pair (B).

Well I used B today for a 4 mile run and by mile 2.5 my left foot was hurting on the ball of my foot and the 3 outside toes were going numb. I used them for a 2 mile run on Thursday last week and a 2.5 mile run on Tuesday last week. They didn't seem to cause any issues then...

So my question is, should I just go back to A? Should I give B more time to break in? If so then how do you break them in when all my runs are short anyway? Is it possible they just aren't right for my feet?

Help a newb out here.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It may be that they're not right for you, they may not fit properly or you may need to look at your lacing.

You don't need to break running shoes in.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Go back to the store and tell them. They'll help you figure it out. "Breaking in" shouldn't be required, and certainly wouldn't give you those sorts of pains.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Pair B aren't a good fit for you. Take them back to the running store and ask them.
    If toes are numb, perhaps the toe box isn't wide enough. Are the running shoes a 1/2 size larger than your regular, everyday shoes? I find that since feet swell while running, my running shoes have to be a 1/2 larger than my everyday shoes.
    I've heard of runners losing their toenails because their toes rub against the toe box of their shoe. The numbness in your toes makes me think that maybe your toes are also rubbing against your shoe?
    Pain on the ball of the foot might mean that you're striking hard on your heel when you land. This is something the running store people could help you with. Maybe a shoe with more support in the heel area is required.
    As stated above, a well-fit pair of running shoes requires no break-in period.

• MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Sounds like Pair B aren't a good fit for you. Take them back to the running store and ask them.
    If toes are numb, perhaps the toe box isn't wide enough. Are the running shoes a 1/2 size larger than your regular, everyday shoes? I find that since feet swell while running, my running shoes have to be a 1/2 larger than my everyday shoes.
    I've heard of runners losing their toenails because their toes rub against the toe box of their shoe. The numbness in your toes makes me think that maybe your toes are also rubbing against your shoe?
    Pain on the ball of the foot might mean that you're striking hard on your heel when you land. This is something the running store people could help you with. Maybe a shoe with more support in the heel area is required.
    As stated above, a well-fit pair of running shoes requires no break-in period.

You know, I have no idea what size pair B is. I didn't even think to look. I just went with what the shoe man said.
  • MaintainCats
    Options
    97ohmbcte2an.jpg

A on the right in pink.

B on the left in black.

Same brand just different styles, if it matters.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What was it about the new pair that the running store said made it a good fit for you?
    Did they say whether you pronate or supenate?
    Did they measure your foot and recommend a width & size?
    Did they look at your gait?
    Did they watch you walk in the new shoes?

What made them suggest these shoes for you?

Agreed with the suggestion about lacing. If the lacing is too tight, it can cause numbness.
  • MaintainCats
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    What was it about the new pair that the running store said made it a good fit for you?
    Did they say whether you pronate or supenate?
    Did they measure your foot and recommend a width & size?
    Did they look at your gait?
    Did they watch you walk in the new shoes?

What made them suggest these shoes for you?

Agreed with the suggestion about lacing. If the lacing is too tight, it can cause numbness.

They measured my feets and widths etc and watched me walk in them. They suggested this one (and had me try on 3 others) because I run "forward" and these had good forefoot cushion. They didn't say anything about pronating etc but I know I pronate at least a little bit in my left foot, maybe both.