New Rules of Lifting for Women

Are there any other women out there currently doing this program? I started 2 weeks ago, and would love to connect with some others! I saw there was a group for it, but it doesn't look like it has been active for years.

Replies

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    I just started. My third workout is tomorrow. Hopefully a few others show interest and we can revitalize that group!
  • projectskinnyli
    projectskinnyli Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, I'd like to try lifting. Where'd you get the program from?
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    edited February 2017
    There's a couple people who post in the daily chat thread in that group. All of us have done nrolfw or the sequel "strong" at some point though some people have finished and moved on to other lifting programs. But would love some new faces there!

ETA the one I post on is "Nrol4w". There may be multiple ones.
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    I've started the program but haven't yet been able to be consistent. Loving it though!
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Hi, I'd like to try lifting. Where'd you get the program from?

I ordered the book off half.com but you can order it on Amazon or other online book stores. Half.com was just cheaper
  • aubreyjordan
    I will have to check out the daily thread! Anyone on the program feel free to add me
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Where is this program you are talking about?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    That book is a nice read. Hope you are enjoying it!
  • aubreyjordan
    Famof72015 wrote: »

The program is laid out in a book by Lou Schuler. I got my copy on half.com, but you can get it a lot of places.
    bbell1985 wrote: »

So far, I am! I looked ahead to stage 2 and am really nervous about front squats to push presses, but I'm sure it'll be all good!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Famof72015 wrote: »

The program is laid out in a book by Lou Schuler. I got my copy on half.com, but you can get it a lot of places.
    bbell1985 wrote: »

So far, I am! I looked ahead to stage 2 and am really nervous about front squats to push presses, but I'm sure it'll be all good!

Just watch some videos. Front squats can take a little time.
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    I just started it!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I borrowed the book from my library but haven't actually started the exercises yet - still reading the early chapters! :)

@bbell1985 I have a couple of questions for you, if you wouldn't mind?

Firstly, is it important to follow the nutrition plan in the book? I haven't finished those chapters yet, but they seem to imply that cutting calories is about the worst thing a person can do and that you must follow their specific plan if you want good results. I still want to lose another 25-30lbs, although I cut my goal to 0.5lbs/week because I was struggling to stick to my meagre calorie allowance otherwise (I'm very sedentary).

Secondly, from glancing through the exercise section of the book, many of them use dumbbells or a barbell. I'm unemployed and can't afford to buy equipment or join a gym yet, so will I be able to do any of the program without it or would it better to look at a different program to start? (And if so, is there a bodyweight-type program you suggest for a complete beginner?)

Thanks!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I borrowed the book from my library but haven't actually started the exercises yet - still reading the early chapters! :)

@bbell1985 I have a couple of questions for you, if you wouldn't mind?

Firstly, is it important to follow the nutrition plan in the book? I haven't finished those chapters yet, but they seem to imply that cutting calories is about the worst thing a person can do and that you must follow their specific plan if you want good results. I still want to lose another 25-30lbs, although I cut my goal to 0.5lbs/week because I was struggling to stick to my meagre calorie allowance otherwise (I'm very sedentary).

Secondly, from glancing through the exercise section of the book, many of them use dumbbells or a barbell. I'm unemployed and can't afford to buy equipment or join a gym yet, so will I be able to do any of the program without it or would it better to look at a different program to start? (And if so, is there a bodyweight-type program you suggest for a complete beginner?)

Thanks!

You can still eat at a deficit and do a weight training program. It is a good idea because it will help you retain muscle while you lose. That said, you get different results than someone eating at maintenance or a gain, but you can still build strength and muscle definition. I lost 148 while doing strength training (not this one, I was working with a trainer) and couldn't be happier with the results.

Check out Goodwill or a thrift store for inexpensive weights. There are bodyweight program too, I think one is called You Are Your Own Gym and another is Convict Conditioning. I'm not personally familiar with them but see them recommended often here on MFP.
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    I'd love to start weight/strength training but I'm so uncoordinated I need real simple easy to follow instructions. Do you guys think this book would be simple enough to follow. I've even been thinking of getting a personal trainer but I have little ones so where will I ever get a babysitter!! Really really want to get into strength training
  • AigreDoux
    If you guys are looking to buy the book, there is an updated version called "Strong" by the same authors that you should get instead. I think they backed off on the diet advice in that one.

You will need some equipment. Gym is ideal. Book goes into it. I started out with minimum equipment and added as I went along. It's pretty simple to follow and the illustrations and exercise descriptions are very good, though. But you definitely need a barbell, dumbbells, bench, and some sort of rack to get through the book.
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Oh gosh that's a lot of equipment which I'm ok to go get if I need it but where do you store it? You have a separate room for exercise or your garage?? Thanks for the book suggestion
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I've just ordered a copy of the book.

I'll be losing my gym access with free personal trainer in May. I should have some gym access again in September (university), but I don't know what equipment beyond cardio will be available (the online pictures only show cardio...)

I have a barbell, a set of dumbbells (mini-barbells actually where I can add as much weight as I want in 1.25kg increments, with the added bonus that the weights from the barbell fit on as well...) and a bench. So I figured I could start this at home without too much worry. Depending on the equipment at the university gym (well small university of applied science...), I might need my dad to help me improvise a rack.

Still not sure if I want to start with this one or Strong Curves. I'll have some reading to do until May then figure what's better for my goals and which one is most suited to the equipment I already have. :smile:
  • AigreDoux
    @Jaymie Yes, I have my "gym" set up in a spare bedroom. I'm soon moving it to my basement though to gain a little bit of space. I got a bit addicted to it and keep buying more equipment :)
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    I've got both NROLFW and Strong and I think although Strong is the second book, it eases the reader more gently into the programme. NROLFW for example goes straight into barbell back squats and barbell deadlifts while Strong starts on goblet squats and bodyweight Romanian deadlifts. Both books are pretty brutal in the later stages though (in a good way).
  • aubreyjordan
    I've got both NROLFW and Strong and I think although Strong is the second book, it eases the reader more gently into the programme. NROLFW for example goes straight into barbell back squats and barbell deadlifts while Strong starts on goblet squats and bodyweight Romanian deadlifts. Both books are pretty brutal in the later stages though (in a good way).

Would you suggest Strong over New Rules for a relative beginner? I'm halfway through stage 1 and still cannot deadlift right. I'm so frustrated with them. I even used my complimentary PT session at my new gym to learn it and the trainer seemed irritated at the end that I still couldn't do it. Looking ahead I'm nervous about those exercises as well. I'm trying to get toned for my summer wedding. I've got 10 to 20 pounds I'd like to lose.