treadmill or elliptical?

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If all you are looking for is the cardio machine; If there is a Planet Fitness near you, that would be the place to go. It takes a long time at $10/month to exceed the cost of a GOOD machine and at the gym you always have your choice. And if you aren't getting a GOOD machine you are wasting your money IMO.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think joints need a certain amount of impact to stay healthy. Doctors even recommend walking to rehab of joints.

Why not just walk outside and get the full benefit of walking, and not just keeping up with a belt that is already moving?
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I think joints need a certain amount of impact to stay healthy. Doctors even recommend walking to rehab of joints.

Why not just walk outside and get the full benefit of walking, and not just keeping up with a belt that is already moving?

The low impact isn't because of joint issues it's another injury. I live in Illinois and it is cold/snowing/icy for several months a year so walking outside isn't pleasant.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the elliptical but my quads cramp up after 10+ minutes on it, I could walk on a treadmill all day long.
    I have an elliptical at home, but after using the very nice expensive ones at my gym I just can't bring myself to use the piece of junk I have at home.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options
    I enjoy the elliptical but my quads cramp up after 10+ minutes on it, I could walk on a treadmill all day long.
    I have an elliptical at home, but after using the very nice expensive ones at my gym I just can't bring myself to use the piece of junk I have at home.

If you don't use it anymore you could sell it and put that money towards a better one or donate it to goodwill/salvation army/or a shelter
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

If you don't use it anymore you could sell it and put that money towards a better one or donate it to goodwill/salvation army/or a shelter

Honestly I would never spend the money on one like they have at the gym. I'm sure they're thousands. I don't really think it's worth donating. I would feel bad for whoever spent money on it tbh. I got it for free so it's had a long life.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and love it. Because of my short legs, I actually find ellipticals hard on my knees because I have to stand on them in an odd stance that hurts. I would suggest trying out both in a fitness store, or go to a gym for a week and see.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Go to a gym and try them out. I do an hour on the elliptical daily.. I think my knees would kill me if I tried it on a treadmill.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Why not just start walking outside? Treadmills are so boring.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »

The weather
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I would be more inclined to get a stationary bike than either an elliptical or treadmill...but cycling is what I like to do.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    After 5 years of owning an elliptical we finally worked out how to change the resistance setting! (The manual that came with it was crap). My husband struggles with knee pain so the elliptical is great for him. I like that you can ramp up and down speed without changing settings on the machine but at the same time it means if your not feeling it then you can slack off and it wont force you to keep up the way a treadmill would. Also like the arm workout.

Personally both the treadmill and the elliptical are equally boring. Music makes all the difference for me. I can also close my eyes and really focus on my breathing on an elliptical, on a treadmill that would be dangerous.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

The weather

I live in Arizona so that's never a problem. I forget that others have to deal with it.
  • Rebecca0224
    Options

The weather

I live in Arizona so that's never a problem. I forget that others have to deal with it.

I broke my arm last year going to get the mail because I slipped on ice I never saw. I need to move some where warmer